My thermometer says...

KTMom91

...it's 110.7 outside, and 89.6 inside. Yes, the swamp cooler is on, and has been since 8:00 yesterday morning. The animals have barely moved from their flop spots. I've already cooked pasta for a salad tonight, and have barely moved from my flop spot in front of the cooler. I have plenty to read, and there's a Ghost Hunters marathon on, though my iced tea becomes lukewarm tea way too quickly. One more day of this (the weatherman says) and we're back down to the low 90's. I can hardly wait.

:hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot:

klmno

I had a similar problem a couple of days ago and thought my heat pump was going bad because it was about 90 outside and 80-82 inside. After changing air filters in the returns, crawling in the crawl space and duct taping a fflex-duct back into place, and finding that the circuit breaker for the outdoor unit had tripped (meaning only the fan was working- no air was being cooled), I'm back in cooler temps! So, you might want to check some of these things just to be absolutely certain all is in order. But 110 is pretty hot air to have to cool andit is getting it 20 degrees cooler so that might have to do. I sure am glad it's not me! My dogs were looking pretty pitiful, too.

Also, if you aren't doing so already, close ducts in any room not being used and close the door to the room so it will force more cooler air into the rooms being used.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Response #1. Your thermometer talks???

Response #2. What the heck is a swamp cooler, anyway????

Response #3. Dang! That's hot!

Response #4. Its 78 here today. (please don't shoot me)

Response #5. You ARE in California....

Response #6. I do believe I'd be tempted to take a trek to the local Dollar General store and purchase me a kiddie pool and set it up right in front of that swamp cooler thingy, and me and the dog would just take up residence there for the day. (I used my good grammar for this one. Be sure to say it with a drawl.)

gcvmom

Here we go again!
It's 108 here at the Chicken Coop. My poor trio of birds have stayed inside the coop all afternoon, despite the run being shaded. I went out just now and hosed the run down really good so that the dirt is a little on the muddy side and cool, plus I wetted down the fabric cover over top so it can cool the air as it evaporates. Once I did that, they all came out for a drink of water. :)

We have central air, but it's a bank account buster when we run it on days like today. My electric bill last month was over $300 and we barely ran the air at all. I shudder to think what next month will bring...

DammitJanet

Gosh I feel for you guys out there. We have been right at 100 for almost a month now but its down to the mid 90s but I will be darned if I can feel the difference...lol. I do hear though that its a dry heat out there? I dont think a swamp cooler would work here.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Where I am, it's humid for here. There are massive, and I mean ginormous thunderheads with big anvil tops spanning the horizon. Somewhere, someone will be getting lightning strikes, thunder, and possibly hail this afternoon. I don't think it's close enough for us to get even a drop, though. The other danger is wildfire from the lightning, and with the wet winter we had and all the new growth, we are in a very dangerous position for that to happen.

Tomorrow it's supposed to cool down by 10 degrees, but that still puts us near triple digits.

DammitJanet

Hey...are you close enough to get to that new half billion dollar school? I wanna move there! I will kidnap the kidlets.

Marguerite

We had an exceptionally nasty hot day a few years ago, the thermometer got to 115 F by about 5.30 pm. We had wanted to go to the beach to cool off, but not in the middle of the day. By 5 pm we gave up. We checked the max when we got home - our thermometer recorded what it had got to, and when. And we're in the coolest part of Sydney! Out west where there are buildings with thermometers built into them (you know the sort - a clock and thermometer to see when you're stuck in traffic) and out there it was even hotter.

I remember running the tap to get a drink of water, and it came out hot! I put a thermometer in the glass and it read 55 C (131 F). I should have put a tea bag in it!

We'd run out of ice long before then...

All you can do in that heat is close all doors and windows, put wet towels folded against any gaps under the doors, close all curtains, darken the rooms and wear a wet towel round your neck. We have these scarf things made from a strip of cotton, filled with water crystals. You soak the scarf until the crystals swell up, then wear it round your neck or forehead.

When it gets that hot, it's dangerous. But people not used to it don't always know how to manage in it. A bloke I used to work with would open up the curtains and open the windows to "let a breeze in", not thinking that the breeze coming in was hotter than the insulated air inside. ANd opened curtains also let the sun in, and that heat has nowhere to go...

stay cool... today's max here is 64 F and there's a strong wind blowing. But at least the sun is out. And the jasmine is in bloom, so your days should begin to cool off soon.

hold that thought.

Marg

KTMom91

Response #1. Your thermometer talks??? Actually, Hubby found one that does.

Response #2. What the heck is a swamp cooler, anyway????AKA evaporative cooler. It's hooked up to water, and water runs through it, soaking the cooler pads, and blows cool air. It's set into the living room window, and only cools the living room and our bedroom.

Response #3. Dang! That's hot!Yep. Sure is.

Response #4. Its 78 here today. (please don't shoot me)I won't. I figure I'll come out ahead when you're shoveling snow this winter, and I'm dancing around without a coat.

Response #5. You ARE in California....And it's a dry heat...but the cooler doesn't work very well when it's over 95.

Response #6. I do believe I'd be tempted to take a trek to the local Dollar General store and purchase me a kiddie pool and set it up right in front of that swamp cooler thingy, and me and the dog would just take up residence there for the day. (I used my good grammar for this one. Be sure to say it with a drawl.) What's a Dollar General?

susiestar

Roll With It
When our A/C was out it was 98-99 degrees every day for almost 2 weeks. It was AWFUL. We took cold showers, lived in front of fans, and vegetated most of the time. Dinners were stuff that either could be eaten with-o cooking or cooked in the microwave.

I was SOOOOOO thankful when my dad came back from London and insisted on fixing our A/C. We did very well during the heat - not a single fight between any of us!!! We also had a good fan for each of us, which helped a LOT.

I hope the heat breaks soon. Swamp coolers do almost nothing here. The bookstore I ran while in high school had an old one as it's only method of cooling. Summers were beastly in there, but it never seemed to dent sales much. Brings back a LOT of memories. There were some college guys living across the street for a while. One of my friends had a giant crush on one of them and got some very interesting photos of him sunbathing, lol! It wasn't me, I promise!! The guy worked at the bar next door (Some of you may have heard of Eskimo Joes, or seen tshirts with the logo) and I knew WAAYY too much about him to have any interest in him or his buddies. They did let me into the bar to listen to the bands (and hid me if the place got raided by the cops!)

Mom2oddson

Drive north! The highest predicted temp until Labor Day weekend is 68 degrees. I'm wearing long sleeves today. Found a light jacket, just in case. And am going to just give up on my Garden ever producing anything. I have tons of green tomatoes, but doubt they will turn red when the temp is in the mid 60s.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Response #1. Your thermometer talks??? Actually, Hubby found one that does. Forgive me, I forgot who you are married to....(Wee still loves all those lights!)

Response #2. What the heck is a swamp cooler, anyway????AKA evaporative cooler. It's hooked up to water, and water runs through it, soaking the cooler pads, and blows cool air. It's set into the living room window, and only cools the living room and our bedroom. Ah...makes perfect sense why we don't have them here. We almost drown in the humidity, anyway....the dang thing would never evaporate...

Response #3. Dang! That's hot!Yep. Sure is.

Response #4. Its 78 here today. (please don't shoot me)I won't. I figure I'll come out ahead when you're shoveling snow this winter, and I'm dancing around without a coat. I often go without a coat, and I don't shovel snow. But I do have to feed livestock in it, so ya got me there.

Response #5. You ARE in California....And it's a dry heat...but the cooler doesn't work very well when it's over 95. See #2...

Response #6. I do believe I'd be tempted to take a trek to the local Dollar General store and purchase me a kiddie pool and set it up right in front of that swamp cooler thingy, and me and the dog would just take up residence there for the day. (I used my good grammar for this one. Be sure to say it with a drawl.) What's a Dollar General? Its a redneck version of Walmart....only the people of walmart website looks like upscale shopping in comparison. The following quote was supposed to have come from a new store opening in a very rural area..."Debra Jackson said she likes shopping at the Dollar General because it is convenient and casual.
"I don't have to get all dressed up like I'm going to Wal-Mart or something," she said"

Come visit. We'll go there. It'll be an adventure!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
:rofl:

I have to share this with my kids. They talk about some site about people at Wal-Mart. They will get a kick out of that!

peopleofwalmart.com

its not for the faint of heart....but it will give you a laugh! I saw a picture once of a woman on a Rascal scooter leading a goat thru the food section....

DammitJanet

Dollar General is something like Family Dollar. Not much in it that costs more than 10 or 15 bucks. Definite place to go for stocking stuffers! You can also get some pretty fairly decent kids clothes there oddly enough. I have bought Keyana these really cute PJ's that are winter like mens flannel two piece button up. She loves them and they are cheaper there than anywhere.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
(Dollar General also has a cheap-o brand of cookies that are knock off's of girl scout cookies. They are $1. The thin mint ones are going to be the death of me....)

DammitJanet

When I lived in Richmond we had this store that sold dented and damaged food. Somehow they got the castoffs of the girl scout cookies that didnt make it into their good boxes. OMG! They werent packaged in the actual scout box but in plain brown boxes but were the exact same cookie. Those chocolate, coconut, caramel cookies .... heaven!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
DG has those, too, Janet! In that same off-brand, for a buck.

They aren't quite as good as the real ones, but they are dang close. And they are $1!!!!!