My toddler diagnosis with ODD

mrssobe

My 3 1/2 yr old is being diagnosed with ODD, can anyone who has gone thru this give me any advice on how to not only cope with this but what happens after the diagnoses? He is in Special Education/preschool twice a week, with speech therapy, occupational therapy, and counseling. Any words of encouragement, thoughts, suggestions would be awesome.

Frustrated and Scared,

mrssobe

BusynMember

Hi there. First off, what type of doctor/professional diagnosed him, and has he ever seen a developmental pediatrician? ODD is rarely a stand alone diagnosis. Does he have speech delays? Does her interact well? Good eye contact? Fine or large motor problems? What things cause a meltdown? You may want to do a signature like I did below. If he hasn't seen a developmental pediatrican, based on his symptoms, I would definitely see one to make sure somebody is looking at him as time goes by and perhaps other stuff emerges. ODD isn't a useful diagnosis. in of itself as all the kids here have ODD symptoms, but the symptoms are usually caused by a bigger disorder. Welcome aboard.

Alisonlg

Welcome! You've found a great group of warrior moms and dads here!

I've been in your shoes. My son was diagnosed when he was almost 3 1/2 as well, after being kicked out of his first preschool.

One book that always comes highly recommended is "The Explosive Child" by Dr. Ross W. Greene. It will be a big help in helping you to understand your child and how different he is from typical children.

I'm sure the others will be along with their welcomes and suggestions!

:::HUGS:::

oceans

Well- you are starting early and maybe that gives you an advantage on the types of interventions you can put in place. You have a heads up on what to expect at school and to ask for services right away.

You might want to get another evaluation as your child grows older. Often times there is an underlying condition that is causing the ODD behavior, and if you can treat that condition with therapy and/or medications then the ODD behavior could get markedly better.

We did not know that we were over our head and needed help until the third grade, and did not really get things in place until the sixth grade. It took us until the ninth grade to find the correct medications that work. It is great that you are getting help right now!