my toes - for thur nurse types

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
anyone know...

my toes turn dark when i put my foot down. obviouosly, i keep it up almost all the time, but when i'm up for hte bathroom, etc, they turn dark before i get back, and its semi painful.

nothing to worry about, is it?

shellyd67

Shari,

I would check with your doctor on that one. I am no expert but that doesn't sound right to me.

Are you having any relief from the pain? I sure hope so. :hugs:Shelly

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
i have what i call a splint. it is wrapped in several layers of thick cotton gauze, covered with a sleeve, with a fiberglass "backboard" held by another layer of gauze and an ace wrap. it is snug. i can not move it, but that is the point. the guy who put it on i know is very experienced. this has been on 2.5 days now.

it doesn't happen if i keep it elevated, which i am as much as possible. only happens when i have to get up.

the pain is tolerable, shelly. still on pain medications, but getting by. my nose hurts as much as anything since they changed the splint.

H

HaoZi

Sounds like you're having a problem with the blood circulating back up properly, I'd be calling the doctor and worrying that not every vein got reattached correctly or is healing well.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
You need to call doctor first thing in the am and have it checked. You can always ask to speak with the nurse or nurse practitioner before making an appointment. She will know if this would be a common post op symptom or not. I don't think it is, it sounds as if you're having circulation issues. So plz check with them.

Hugs

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'm just reading the nursey advice - BUT.........GET THEE TO A DOCTOR OM black toes? WOW!

:OH NAVE.......BRINGETH ME A FUDGESICLE:

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
lol star! they aren't black. they just get really dark red when iput them down. lol

i'll call the office in the morning. i did have my leg "down' today more than i have been today. not really down, but just on the recliner. normally, i've been putting pillows on the recliner and keeping it up on pillows at heart level or above. so maybe that's part of it, too.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
i called. they said i likely have som chg in swelling as its healing. its not a problem tho as long as it goes away when i put my foot back up, which it does.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
That's good. Of course if they had not changed color when elevated I'd have told you to run, not walk to the ER, instead of just calling doctor. lol

I came in to check and see what they said. Always best to check with doctor on such things.

How's the pain? Better?

Hugs

Fran

Former desparate mom
Glad you called but that's pretty normal when you have swelling and keep a limb elevated. It's engorged when down. Blood is having trouble getting back up because it's fighting gravity through swollen tissue. in my humble opinion of course.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
pain is tolerable. i fell asleep this morning, tho, after taking my pain pills, and realized that was the first time i've been without pain in my ankle since the accident. boy did it feel good, too.

but largely its tolerable. with drugs, anyway.

DDD

I'm not a "nurse type" for sure but I would keep a small journal showing when discoloration, pain etc. is present. That way you can track progress and feel assured that a different problem isn't lurking. Sending hugs. DDD