My trash isn't classy enough /Logic on $65.00 can

Star*

call 911........call 911
I called DF today and then faxed home a picture of the $65.00 garbage can, litter receptacle, gar-BAGE holder.

I told him that I needed one IMMEDIATELY.

He of course stunned and confused asked "WHY"

I said "Because I'm so tired of not having classy trash"
-yea that threw him.

He said "Isn't our 55 gallon, Herbi-curby on wheels classy enough?"

"NO"

He stuttered for a minute and then said "Well okay I guess I could blah blah blah" and then it was like what the dog must hear.

I realized who I was talking to - the man that let our house be warmed in the winter and cooled in the summer with a Mr. Ed door - he's not handy he's my honey - the man that makes me cringe when I said "It's been 7 years If I clean all the stuff out of the dining room will you finish the walls?" and he replied "Well that's all I was waiting for." as if!! That was 3 months ago and I did the skip troweling California knockdown on the top of the walls. sigh.

He said "Well I could get the materials, looks simple" and then I said "Um NEVER MIND".

I realized if I wanted classy trash someone elses' husband would have to make it and send it to the ranch because I'll be throwing my garbage at the boards and a bag of nails and hinges. Now I understand the logic of the $65.00 trash can.

busywend

OMG! :rofl: :rofl:

Tell him a ton of your board member friends want them and are willing to pay big $$ for one. Maybe you can get one finished that way!

:rofl:

F

flutterbee

I realized if I wanted classy trash someone elses' husband would have to make it and send it to the ranch because I'll be throwing my garbage at the boards and a bag of nails and hinges.

See my post on Karen's 'Pictures' thread about renting a husband. :wink:

KFld

I didn't realize my need for a classy trash container was going to cause so much trouble in a marriage :rofl:

And to think that the one I want actually costs about $120.00. I will have to take a picture of it when I get it and send it to you guys, because this isn't just your ordinary everyday classy trash container. This is a fine piece of furniture :smile:

Nothing but the best for my trash!!!

Star*

call 911........call 911
So YOU and your little harmonica playing chipmunk are behind this? AND now I must fork out $120? I can see people coming in to the kitchen and having little candles lit on my trash container.

I think I'm down with the Glad man - he's GLAD because he doesn't have a project to attempt.

Wishing you all the best with your discriminating garbaghe bin.
gar bah je: a word used by the upper class to describe items being tossed out.

Only this board - I swear what a week, genie nose lamps, heroic army squirrles and now elite garbage cans. Small wonder our kids do not get us.

donna723

If I spent that much on a trash can, I don't think I'd be able to make myself throw garbage in it! My trash can is white plastic and cost me $3 at the Dollar Store and it's full of coffee grounds, cigarette butts, yesterdays' newspaper and the occasional little nugget of puppy poop - you know ... the yucky stuff!! I hide the can behind a door. I guess I just don't have very classy garbage.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I told DF tonight :

"I have classy garbage, i just don't have a classy can."

and he said looking at me as I was walking away

"THAT my dear is a matter of opinion - I think YOUR can is great!"

- Ya think he's still worried I might ask him to build something with that comment!

KFld

So YOU and your little harmonica playing chipmunk are behind this? AND now I must fork out $120? I can see people coming in to the kitchen and having little candles lit on my trash container.

I think I'm down with the Glad man - he's GLAD because he doesn't have a project to attempt.

Wishing you all the best with your discriminating garbaghe bin.
gar bah je: a word used by the upper class to describe items being tossed out.

Only this board - I swear what a week, genie nose lamps, heroic army squirrles and now elite garbage cans. Small wonder our kids do not get us.

I am laughing so hard I am crying at this point. You are too much!!!

Kathy813

Staff member
There is a stainless steel kitchen trash can with an electronic eye that opens when you get close to it for only $74 on Amazon.

The customer reviews are hilarious. People talk about how the thing opens up whenever they get too close so they start trying to sneak by it or run by really fast to fool it.

:rofl:

They say it also makes a great babysitter. Little kids stand in front of it for hours making it open and close.

Sounds like $74 would be a bargain.

~Kathy

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Star I wonder if our hubbies are somehow related to each other. :rofl:

There is a stainless steel kitchen trash can with an electronic eye that opens when you get close to it for only $74 on Amazon.

Kathy, Aubrey and the dogs would be in heaven with that one. :rofl:

donna723

Have people gotten soooo lazy that they're willing to spend all that money to avoid the drudgery of stepping on the little pedal to open the trash can lid??? I'd be ashamed to admit that!
:bag:
When my kids were little, they would have been throwing all kinds of things in the trash that didn't belong there (like car keys?) just to watch it open by itself! It's like those super-automated public bathrooms that seem to anticipate your every move, practically doing everything for you except dropping your drawers! Too much!

And the reason a lot of people have trash cans with lids is to keep their dogs OUT of it! Dogs aren't stupid ... well maybe some are. But if mine saw that the lid would pop open every time they got close to it, they'd be dumping it and happily rolling in the coffee grounds and orange peels in no time flat!

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
I can't imagine the one with the sensor to open itself. I think I might explode. Trying to not laugh to loud as husband and 4 zombies are asleep still. This is priceless.

Beth

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well now I'm just torn -

Torn between class and amazement.

I was in an airport in Akron Ohio - and the toilet seat COVERS come out of a little box on the wall and cover the seat each time it flushes.

It thought I want that at home - to go with my amazingly classy trash can.

Kathy813

Staff member
Here is an excerpt of a story about the touchless garbage can from a Reader's Digest article written by Mary Roach.

The story had my laughing out loud. I thought it was perfect for this thread:

Then we came upon a product called the Touchless Trashcan. Its lid had an "infrared sensor eye" that enabled it to sense your approaching hand and automatically open for you. "It is convenient to use, and it is very hygienic," said the packaging. We succumbed.

The Touchless Trashcan came in three pieces and included a four-page user manual. One piece, the enigmatic Smart Retainer Ring, required eight steps to install and took up an entire page of the manual. The page was captioned "How Does Smart Retainer Ring Work?" The first thing to hit the bottom of our new can was the user manual. "I refuse," said Ed, "to read a garbage can instruction manual."

The Retainer Ring, we finally figured out, had nothing to do with the automatic lid opener. Its purpose was to prevent the top of the bag from sticking out in an unsightly manner. And also to turn the task of changing the garbage bag into a ten-minute ordeal involving, quoting Ed, "an engineering degree from Rensselaer Polytechnic."

Ed stuck a bag into the can, folded its top over the edge in the usual way and dangled the Smart Retainer Ring over the can. "Oops. I inadvertently threw the Smart Retainer Ring away."

We lowered the automated top onto the bin and switched on the infrared sensor eye. For three or four minutes, throwing things away was a delightful novelty.

Like many infatuations, that of a touchless trash can and its owners soon sours. For us, it happened that night after dinner. The sensor eye couldn't see very far, and so the lid tended to pop open at the last second, knocking garbage out of your hand and to the floor. I understood why this was happening, but it came across as impertinence. Also, since the eye didn't sense garbage per se but rather the heat of your hand, it ignored things like platters and dustpans. Ed came in one day to see me moving the dustpan over the lid in a series of slow, priestly motions, a ritual that became known as "the blessing of the refuse."

Some weeks later, the touchless can took to intermittently popping open its lid when one of us passed by. Sometimes I'd catch Ed standing there, staring at it. "What does it want?" he'd say.

I had a different interpretation. "It's trying to imply that you and I are garbage."

Ed didn't believe this. "Maybe it just wants to be touched." Owing to the number of times it had slapped fish heads or yogurt lids out of my hand, its top and sides were spattered with food yuck, and neither of us was willing to test Ed's theory and embrace Touchless Trashcan.

In the end, the automated touchless trash can was replaced by the old-fashioned kind of touchless trash can -- the kind that opens with a foot pedal. It requires no batteries, and if it has an opinion about its owners, it keeps it to itself.

Impertinent garbage cans! Geez ~ even garbage cans can be difficult children. :rofl:

~Kathy

KFld

O.k. ladies, I am going today with BFF Jill to buy my classy trash container. It is my housewarming gift to myself. I have really not bought one new thing here except for a few cheap curtains from k-mart and a hammer from Lowes for $4.99.

I told BFF Jill I wanted to go buy it and she said wait for me. She is out of the wheelchair and in aircasts on both feet, so it will be like shopping with Frankenstein, but she needs to get out, so we are going.

I will take a picture of this lovely piece of furniture and send a link for all to see!!!

I have my own version of the impertinent garbage can.

It is one of the ones with the pedal. Except you step on the pedal, and the lid does not go up.

It's called the impotent garbage can.

susiestar

Roll With It
i have on of hte steel round cans with a liner and a lid that is supposed to open when you step on the petal. Of course, the petal thingy is broken. So I just take the lid of when I want to use it. Most often, someone else is throwing somehting out (usually something I NEED) and thye just leave the lid on the ground.

After many weeks, I have resigned myself to no pedal function (what do you want out of a can you spend $3 on at the thrift store???) and having the lid be permanently stored between the base and the cabinet next to it.

At elast they throw things away.

I guess..

Star*

call 911........call 911
Kathy - I LOVED that story. I especially like the part where Ed inadvertently throws away the ring. I can see myself frustrated making the same motions.

- OHHHH impotent trash cans. OHHHHHHHH :princess: I'm just going to dance all the way around that one as there are TOO many possibilities. Naughty, naughty BBK.