Myspace info for a friend....

donna723

A friend at work is going through a really rough time right now. I won't go into all the details but she's in the middle of a divorce, had to move out of her home, and is temporarily living with another friend in another county. Her soon-to-be ex was given temporary custody of their just-turned 13 year old daughter until it's all settled because of the school issue, etc.

Here's the thing ... this girl, when she was just 12, opened a MySpace account that neither parent was aware of for a while. She claimed to be 15 and posted several pictures of herself and a friend that are rather provocative and they appeared to be much older than they really are. When they found out about it, supposedly the father had it removed. The girl put it back up again at a friends house. Again, it was supposed to be removed, and my friend assumed that it was. She has no computer access where she currently lives. This was last May or June.

We were talking about it the other day at work, and when I got home, just out of curiosity, I went to MySpace, put in the girls' name, and IT'S STILL IN THERE! It's set to "Private" and shows no updates since last May. But the page that comes up shows a picture of this girl that makes her look much older, gives her real first and last names and the name of the very small town where they live! It's such a small town that they are the only ones in the local phone book with that last name and there is only one middle school for kids that age! Any pervent with a telephone could call their house or find her when school gets out! Of course, her mother is bordering on hysterical. I would have checked too if I were her, but she's the trusting type and believed it when she was told the account had been closed.

I know some of you have done this before, so I guess my question is - how does a parent contact MySpace and have their underaged childs' MySpace account and page removed <u>permanently</u>? There must be a way to do it. Not just set to "Private", but completely removed and not allowed to repost it again so this kids' picture, real name and enough info to find her is not out there for every pedophile in the country to find? I told her I'd try to find out. Has anybody done this before????

susiestar

Roll With It
Donna, the following is what I got off of Myspace. I am very unimpressed with them, but hopefully they will improve.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do I remove my child's profile from MySpace.com?

Please work with your child to log in and remove the account. Once you are logged into MySpace.com perform the following steps:

If you are not on your homepage, click "Home" in the top navigation menu of any MySpace web page to get to your homepage.
Click on "Account Settings"(it’s in the upper left portion of the page, next to your picture).
Click on 'Cancel Account'. An email will be sent to the email address (the same one used as the login name) to verify the Account Deletion. You must follow the steps specified in the email to complete the deletion.
If you do not receive the confirmation email, please remove all content from your child's profile, and enter in the text 'Remove Profile' in the 'About Me'. This lets us know that you have taken control of your child's account. For us to evaluate and remove the profile you must send us URL to the profile in question. You can contact us here.

The internet can be a fun place for younger users as long as they are safe. We have an entire section dedicated to Safety Tips for users and parents to peruse. Please check them out!

See Also

Where do I report underage users?
How do I delete my account?
How do we remove an imposter profile for a teacher/faculty member?

MySpace Tip

If you think someone is violating MySpace’s Terms & Conditions, click the “Report Abuse” link at the bottom of their MySpace profile to let us know!

</div></div>

I hope this helps.

Susie

Nancy

I have contacted myspace two times over the years to have myspace accouts deleted. As soon as I told them she was lying and I wanted it removed they deleted it.

Nancy