N finally getting help for her Cluttering!!!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
We went to her first IEP meeting! You know you have hit the Lottery when both of your kids have IEP!!! :laugh:

I was so nervous that they were going to say, "I'm sorry but we just don't see a problem"...:mad:
Even though her Kindergarten recommended this meeting.

But the Speech Path. Heard all of her problems, saw that her anxiety was making it worse and actually could hear the different levels of her cluttering!!!
While I am not happy that N has this issues I am SO happy that she is going to get help.
The Speech Language Pathologist (SLP)- feels very strongly this is serious, that this can cause serious issues later in life, that while this likely will never go away, N can learn to control it.
She also was very aware of how it impacts her anxiety and vice versa.

And then at the end her teacher said she wants to submit N to the TAG program because of incredible sense of humor and her range/grasp of language...
Because of how she sees things and deciphers situations etc... :surprise:

husband and I started laughing so hard!!! We both said N!!!???
All we see is this little goofy dork! (I am saying this in a loving Mommy way)
I am still laughing....

smallworld

Toto, I'm glad N is getting help in school. Way To Go, warrior mom! Do you know how many hours of speech N will be getting a week?

Have you taken her for a private speech/language evaluation? I'm asking because if the issues are serious, you might want her looked at privately to make sure nothing is being missed. A school will only look at how speech issues impacting her education. And she may need more intensive help than what is being offered at school. I have friends whose kids needed a lot of outside speech therapy to remediate the kinds of speech issues they faced.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
SW gives great advice on this, Totoro!

How awesome that she is getting early interventions on this problem. That can only be a good thing.

And by the way, we always knew your cutie patootie was a smarty pants! She takes after her MOM! :D

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Little goofy dorks often ARE bright. lol

So glad this turned out well. Any idea what kind of things they'll do in therapy for it?

totoro

We haven't officially written up the IEP yet that is the following Monday, we have a break next week, "Rodeo Days???" Hmmm?
We were waiting for the outside speech evaluation because we are trying to get K into this "supposed" great one and if we like it instead of wasting more time we will try to add N.
(We are paying all of our deductibles right now and don't have lots of extra cash so we want to make sure!) This place does not take insurance.
We would have to submit to our insurance after the fact...
I don't think she is "severe" but I think she has a significant issue. We'll see.

flutterby

Fly away!
T -

difficult child started off with cluttering. She now has a "moderately severe" stutter. They said it will never go away completely, they will just help her learn to manage/control it. She receives speech therapy once a week outside of school and once a week in school.

difficult child also didn't start receiving speech services until she was older. Talk about guilt. (However, I've been hearing from multiple sources that the cause of this is actually something in the brain and it may not have mattered - helps ease the guilt a bit.)

I hope that since you're getting an early start, it will catch it before it gets to wear my difficult child is. It does add to her anxiety, and vice versa. Any heightened emotional state - anxiety, excitement, anger, frustration, etc - worsens the stutter and she literally sometimes cannot get the words out. It's very frustrating for her, as I can imagine it would be.

by the way, way to go warrior mom! :warrior:

totoro

I was thinking about you Heather as well as W at the meeting today!!! You guys are one of the reasons I have pushed for her to have help with this.

susiestar

Roll With It
Awesome!!!!

Usually it is the kids who are "different" and are "goofy little dorks" that are the truly gifted ones! N shows such great understanding of language with many of the things you tell us. I am not at all surprised that they want her for TAG. Just try to make sure it does not become a "popular kid" class because that tends to run the truly gifted kids out, replacing them with kids who follow the rules. Usually gifted kids get bored and DON"T follow rules and teachers think the A students who follow all the rules are gifted.

Give her hugs for us, and the speech therapy is awesome!!! It will help her in lots of ways.