Name that tune

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
So I'm doing some deep spring cleaning today and have a good selection of music on Pandora playing. Fleetwood Macs Landslide plays and listening to the lyrics got me thinking about my son.

Well, I've been afraid of changing
'Cause I've built my life around you
But time makes you bolder
Even children get older
And I'm getting older too

There was a time when I really felt this way, that I was afraid of changing, I had built my life around being difficult child's mom, but time did make me bolder and wiser. While it's been a long painful journey I am grateful for it as I know I am much stronger because of it.

Some of the other songs take me way back to when I was a teenager. YIKES!!! Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven, Roberta Flack Killing me softly.

The Bodeans Paradise and Runaway, when I moved across the country to the Midwest - 3 day road trip. Every time I hear those songs I'm back in my car.

I love Pandora:p

What songs do you have a strong emotional reaction to??

KTMom91

Garth Brooks' The Dance.

"And I'm glad I didn't know the way it all would end, the way it all would go, our lives are better left to chance, I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance."

Jabberwockey

Terry Jacks-Seasons in the Sun
Bette Midler-The Rose.
It's the heart, afraid of breaking that never learns to dance
It's the dream, afraid of waking that never takes the chance
It's the one who won't be taken who cannot seem to give
And the soul, afraid of dying that never learns to live

Almost forgot Dan Fogleberg-Leader of the Band!

Lil

For years after Jabber and I married (and occasionally still), the song Amazed By You, by Lonestar, made me cry.

I don't know how you do what you do
I'm so in love with you
It just keeps getting better
I wanna spend the rest of my life
With you by my side
Forever and ever
Every little thing that you do
Baby I'm amazed by you.

How sappy is that? :inlove: We didn't even play it at the wedding...it just moved me.

Others, for various reasons:

Rufus Wainwright - Hallelujah
Johnny Cash - Hurt
Doctor Hook - Sharing the Night Together
Blue Oyster Cult - Don't Fear the Reaper

My tastes are quite eclectic.

Tanya M

Staff member
For years after Jabber and I married (and occasionally still), the song Amazed By You, by Lonestar, made me cry.

I don't know how you do what you do
I'm so in love with you
It just keeps getting better
I wanna spend the rest of my life
With you by my side
Forever and ever
Every little thing that you do
Baby I'm amazed by you.

How sappy is that? :inlove: We didn't even play it at the wedding...it just moved me.
Not sappy at all, very sweet and romantic.

Rufus Wainwright - Hallelujah
Johnny Cash - Hurt
Doctor Hook - Sharing the Night Together
Blue Oyster Cult - Don't Fear the Reaper
All great songs.

My tastes are quite eclectic.
Me too. One of the main reasons I like Pandora. I will have anything and everything from oldies, country, swing, instrumental, etc....

Lil

One of the main reasons I like Pandora. I will have anything and everything from oldies, country, swing, instrumental, etc....

Jabber and I both have Pandora on our phones. Funny story: We plugged a phone into our churches sound system for our Halloween party one year on a Halloween station. When "Sweet Transvestite" came on, we quickly switched to "Children's Halloween".

At work, they have Pandora blocked on the computer...but not YouTube. Go figure. I've discovered that after you make a few playlists of songs, they's have one just called "My List" show up on the front page. It has a wonderful blend of everything and some suggested songs too.

Scent of Cedar *

What an excellent thread. Those are all such great songs. I am going to go listen to Rufus Waintight's version of Halleluiah.

That is my favorite song.

Pacobel's Canon in D ~ that is my favorite morning song. I love the one Katy Perry (?) does about the Dark Horse. One of us posted something by Sibelius that I go back to again and again. D H likes Bob Segar's Like A Rock. He blasts that on the final leg of his journey home from wherever he's been.

That's how the dog and I know he is home.

We can hear Bob Segar.

The cat actually comes out from wherever she has been too, once D H is actually home. Not so much to the music, but once D H is actually there.

Phil Collins' "Something in the Air" makes me think of my sister.

:O)

Spooky.

Guns 'N Roses "Sweet Child of Mine" and "Every Rose Has It's Thorns" are my songs for daughter. Well, for young daughter. Current song for daughter is the one about "This Ain't My Mama's Broken Heart".

For son, the song is the Eagles' Desperado.

That one can make me cry to this day, though he is doing so much better, now.

Cedar

Scent of Cedar *

I love "Roll Me Away". I could just see it being me, dressed all in black leather and blowing smoke out one nostril, hopping on a motorcycle with
someone really attractive that I don't even know.

:talkhand:

Cedar

Californiablonde

The only song that really gets me choked up is "Believe in Me" by Staind. I dedicated this song to my kids years ago when CPS took them away from me for 18 months. I had nothing but supervised visits with them at that time and it was hell on all of us as my kids got shuffled around from relatives to group homes. Here are the Lyrics:

I sit alone and watch the clock
Tryin' to collect my thoughts
All I think about is you
And so I cry myself to sleep
And hope the devil I don't meet
In the dreams that I live through
Believe in me
I know you've waited for so long
Believe in me
Sometimes the weak become the strong
Believe in me
This life's not always what it seems
Believe in me
Cause I was made for chasing dreams

All the smiles you've had to fake
And all the s*** you've had to take
Just to lead us here again
I never have the things to say
To make it all just go away
To make it all just disappear
Believe in me
I know you've waited for so long
Believe in me
Sometimes the weak become the strong
Believe in me
This life's not always what it seems
Believe in me
Cause I was made for chasing dreams
It's my life, it's my choice
Hear my words, hear my voice
And just believe.

Read more: Staind - Believe Lyrics | MetroLyrics

Tanya M

Staff member
It was a year after my husband and I got married that we took our honeymoon. First he surprised me with the trip, St. Croix.
We get on the plane and he hands me a cassette player. He made a mix for me to listen to as we took off for our trip.
The first song was Eddy Money's Two Tickets to Paradise
There was some Bob Marley
and the one that really cracked me up was Buster Poindexter Hot Hot Hot.

Every time I hear those songs I think of that sweet mix tape hubby made for me.:couple:

tishthedish

Okay...here are some select favorites. I have different ones for different moods and on your suggestions I am definitely hooking up to Pandora.

For my D H... our first dance wedding song was "What are you doing for the rest of your life". Dusty Springfield has a version and the lyrics are beautiful. "You're all I need to get by" by Marvin Gaye and Tammy Tyrell brings me to tears as well as Frank Sinatra's "All the Way". More current..One Republic's "Counting Stars".

For D C 1...I always told him that for the mom/son dance for his wedding I wanted to play Elton John's "You'll be Blessed" because of how happy I was to learn I was having a baby and how loved he was even before he came into this world. Lately I have identified with the Fray's "How to Save a Life" and "Say Something I'm Giving up on You"

For D C 2..."Fix you" by Coldplay, "Are you happy now" Michelle Branch, "Walking in Memphis" by Marc Cohn because it's a favorite of his.

Both sons..."Grenade" by Bruno Mars. It's so true.

For me...Most disco for escape and a few others: "Lukenbach Texas" by Waylon Jennings, "Won't Back Down" by Tom Petty, "Better Now" by Collective Soul, "Blessings" by Laura Story, "In the End" by Linkin Park, "Breathe" by Anna Nalik and "Go to Extremes" by Billy Joel. Oh boy. Music soothes the savage beast doesn't it?