Nasal Flu Vaccine... watch out for bloody noses!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
We were talking about gushers last week or so I believe? Anywhooo, we had the option of getting N and K the shot or the nasal vaccine... well my weird one K wanted the shot!
N had to have 2 other shots so we chose the nasal one for her. She gets bloody noses real easy.... right after the Nurse gave it to her, Gusher!!!
Only lasted about 10 minutes. But I thought I would warn those of you with sensitive nose kids...
N was climbing the walls! Man I swear, my kids can surprise the best of them. The Nurse was impressed by her little snake like moves and the screams she let out!!! Then the blood started pouring out the nose! K started freaking from the noise... It was like the Funhouse!!!
The nurse was very nice though...

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks Totoro,
I will be sure not to let him get the nasal vaccine, he is still having his gushers!

susiestar

Roll With It
Hmmm. Never had nosebleed problems unless the kids were rough housing. Hope we don't get it iwth the nasal vaccine. I may do the shot simply because thank you does flonase. Seems like tempting fate, in my opinion.

Our family "rule" is if you get a shot, you get ice cream. Period. Sometimes we go out, sometimes we come home, but ice cream is had. It really cut down on problems with the kids getting shots. My strange kids like to watch when I have blood drawn too.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Susie I asked about K and her new diagnosis of Vasomotor Rhinitis, she is using the Nasonex and the .... um on the tip of my tongue! Nasal Antihistamine... anyway, they said they have seen no problems nor increase in bloody noses or issues with kids who have allergies or use other nasal medications.
N is just really sensitive in the sinus area. We have even been using a humidifier to help keep things more moist...
We do the ice-cream also. Actually this time I bought them Halloween socks and a book each!
I am big on trying to keep all doctor apt's at least OK.

susiestar

Roll With It
Totoro,

The funny thing about the ice-cream is that thank you insists that I get it when I have lab work done. He will go with me, but does NOT expect to get ice cream himself. Just wants to make sure that I get it because I am the one who got "shot". (Of course he always gets some, but it is so dang sweet to see the way he doesn't expect it!)

anyway, I hope the nasal medications are helping!