Natasha Richardson

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
You just wrote what I just wrote to friends in an email. I'm so terribly sad. I feel as if I've known her all her life because I knew her first through her mother's career. And she and Liam seemed to have such a nice, normal, and loving marriage. It's just awful. :9-07tears:

Suz

Fran

Former desparate mom
I loved her from the time she was in the Parent Trap. I just can't imagine what could have happened on the bunny slope with an instructor. : ( So sad.

TerryJ2

So sad.

I'm thinking it may have been a red herring, and she may have stroked out. It's possible no one will ever know.

I know that is so weird to fall on a bunny slope. I know I have been skiing and I am no expert but I didnt fall on the bunny slope. Maybe her slope was higher. I am sad for the family.

SRL

I'd bet it was the kind of fall and injury that could happen anywhere, but for her happened on the bunny slope.

So sad...

katya02

Solace
It does sound like a freak injury ... something that could have happened almost anywhere. It's tragic. husband and I went to see 'Taken' tonight and all I could think of was Liam Neeson's pain. Couldn't focus on the movie at all.

Steely

I agree...........so tragic.
How could she die from something as simple as this.
It truly puts the fragility of life into perspective.

muttmeister

It is tragic and I feel sorry for the family. As "movie" people go, they seem pretty normal and it is too bad it happened.
It does point up what I always say - I'm not going to spend my life being afraid to do things because of "what might happen" because no matter how careful you are, when it's time, something wil getcha - even the bunny slope. I think this shows we all need to live our lives to the fullest because we never know what tomorrow will bring.

Lothlorien

It is sad. She was a good actress and kept her life fairly normal and stayed out of the spotlight. You never heard anything negative about her, Liam or her family.

How often do our kids bang their heads and they are fine. Such a freaky thing to have happened.

KTMom91

On the news, they said she fell, got back up, went back to the hotel, and then developed a headache about an hour later. I imagine she had no idea there was anything seriously wrong. Very sad for her family.

DDD

I feel so badly for them too. The circumstances do sound strange but as some of you may remember easy child/difficult child fell off a third floor balcony and landed on his head. He was airlifted and in ICU when we got to where he was almost three hours after the fall. He could talk. He could sit up with someone next to his bed. They did not allow him to eat or drink for two days. He talked and laughed (as she was described to have done). Two days later after having his first food and drink...swelling kicked in and he was in for emergency brain surgery. So, I assume, Natasha didn't know
that she had suffered Traumatic Brain Injury and didn't go to the hospital to be checked. By the time swelling kicked in it evidently was too late for her to have surgery. It is particularly sad to me because I assume it could have been avoided. DDD

Marguerite

I'm wondering if the fall was actually caused by something else, such as an aneurysm or similar, and the fall is being blamed when it was a consequence and not the cause.

Time will tell.

From what I understand of the way thissort of thing can happen - it sounds like they got appropriate medical help to her as soon as possible, as soon as it became apparent there was even the possibility of her needing attention. The usual strategy when there has been a brain injury causing the brain to swell, is to put the patient in a drug-induced coma, because it slows down brain swelling. If they do that, they keep the patient "under" for more than just a few hours or a day; they wait for a lot longer, to give the brain achance to begi to heal. They only give a prognosis when the patient has been brought round, often a week or more later, and they can actually measure how the patient is going.

So for them to have taken her off life support so quickly, tells me that their every effirt simply wasn't working, or wasn't enough because there were other unforeseen problems (such as a catastrophic bleed, or massive oxygen deprivation due to occlusion or out of control swelling).

I dare say we will eventually find out, after a post mortem report is issued. There would be no reason to keep it quiet; any information provides knowledge.

I do find it hard to accept that such aserious accident can happen on a bunny slope. Of course it CAN happen, and obviously something did happen here, but I do wonder if there was another problem complicating things so badly for her, poor darling.

A friend of mine died in her early 20s, of a brain aneurysm. She was at home with her kids, had recently had her fifth baby and just separated from her husband, so was very stressed. her parents were at her house helping her with some chores and she said to her mother suddenly, "Oh, my head!" and just dropped. They called the ambulance and she was on life support for about 12 hours, but as far as they could determine later, she was actually dead before she hit the floor.

Sometimes an aneurysm can go that quickly, sometimes it can leak for a while and then let go. And sometimes a mild bump can be enough to trigger it to go.

Another friend was a builder, he was working on a roof when he fell and was killed. However, the autopsy showed that he didn't slip, he actually had a heart attack while on the roof and was probably dead before he fell. He also had lupus, which they think predisposed him to the heart problems.

Sometimes the answer isn't as simple as it first appears.

In this case - for them to have decided so soon to take her off life support, I think it must hve been more than a simple fall.

Marg

Nancy

Very tragic and sad.

My sister in law had a dear friend who slipped in the shower and banged her head. Her husband heard the thump and ran to her aid. She Said she was fine. laughed it off, finished her shower, went to bed and died in her sleep. They found she had an aneursym just like Marg said. Her husband was devastated that he didn't take her to the hospital when it happened but she seemed perfectly ok. She was young, very fit, ran marathons and was otherwise very healthy.

Nancy

N

Nomad

I couldn't help but take note that she was more or less okay right after it happened. I guess in some way it just adds to the shock of it all. How tragic and sad.

There is a person who does work for husband and I around our house. His wife was very overweight and once in awhile he would talk with me about this.

One day, his daughter came home from school and found her dead in the shower. I never found out what the doctors determined was the cause of death. He said that due to her weight it could have been any number of things. However, she did have a head injury and this at the time was considered the likely cause. We know of another family...mom fell down a flight of stairs and hit her head. She never recovered and died a few days later.

Anyway...the story of this talented actress and her untimely death...is awful and reminds uf of the sanctity of life.

Star*

call 911........call 911
This is just so awful. We kept hoping it was a bad rumor - and then we saw her pictures and family pictures on the news.

Really a lovely woman. Sure she'll be missed terribly by all who knew her.

SRL

I do find it hard to accept that such aserious accident can happen on a bunny slope. Of course it CAN happen, and obviously something did happen here, but I do wonder if there was another problem complicating things so badly for her, poor darling.

I just talked to my brother who is a ski instructor/program administrator for a children's ski program at a big resort town. He said many of the worst injuries happen on the bunny slope for a number of reasons--the high concentration of beginners in one area, few people wearing helmets except kids forced to by parents, people thinking injuries on the beginner slopes aren't serious thus don't seek out medical attention for falls, etc.

He also said that nearly everyone on the more advanced slopes wear helmets and that it's reduced the deaths, but increased the number of brain injury cases.

DDD

It's official. Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) is the cause of death. How sad because it could probably
been avoided with quick hospitalization. :sad-very: DDD

Marguerite

Although it depends on definitions in different places, as I understand it Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) can come from a number of causes, including sudden stroke from an aneurysm. Or sometimes it's just a knock on the head at a vulnerable spot that takes a little while to show up.

What makes it so awful is she was so young and this was so sudden and seemingly silly. But from what I heard, they did everything appropriate, got her help as soon as it became apparent she might need it.

Marg