Need a great gift for a one year old boy!

N

Nomad

Looking for a great gift for a one year old boy. I tend to buy clothes, but would rather get a toy...preferably something interesting/educational/fun.

Anyone know of anything like this...from personal experience? What does your son/grandson/neighbor's child have that fits the description?

Many thanks!

susiestar

Roll With It
Little Tykes has tons of stuff depending on price range. For twenty five and up, look for a folding picnc table, adustable basketball goal, etc...

duplos are always a hit, trucks and cars for his age (be sure to check the age range), LeapFrog has a ton of toys in all price ranges that are educational,noisy and fun. An old fashioned kids' drum set is always a hit, and one of those walker/ride on things that can be pushed to help him walk steadily or ridden on are usually hits. My inlaws gave thank you one and my evil father taught him AND Jess that batteries could be changed. Until them all of my kids thought when the batteries died you could still play with it but it wouldn't make noise anymore. Took my dad a week to realize the mistake he made with that little lesson,lol. Mostly because anytme they drove me nuts with a noisy toy I sent them to Gpa. Even if he was asleep. :hi5: My mom thought it was HILARIOUS.

Bath toys were hits with my kids also.

At age one, the parents might appreciate a small toy and a big box of diapers or a gift card to Walmart where they can choose what he would like. Depending on the parents, classical music to help get the kids to sleep. My kids, esp the boys, would conk out if we played Mozart. We played a LOT of Mozart some weeks, lol.

Consider a gift card for the zoo, or a zoo or kids' museum membership. We didn't go to the zoo much, but we used to go to the Children's Museum in Cincy every couple of weeks when we could afford a membership or we got one for a gift.

InsaneCdn

Just remembered one other old favorite... a walking bike or walking car. They sit on/in it, and just move their feet - no pedals - but loads of fun.

donna723

At that age, my grandson liked anything with buttons he could push and anything that made noise or played music. Almost as soon as he started walking he loved toys that he could push around, like his wagon. He liked to put things in the wagon and move them from room to room and hide them ... like his daddy's shoes or car keys or cellphones ... anything he could get his hands on. Maybe it was just him but just give him something he could push and shove around the floor and he was a happy little guy! And books! He loved books! Still does.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
As the parent of a 5-month old, I beg of you... NOTHING that requires batteries!!! Those walking horsies and bikes are awesome, Megablocks are wonderful - I want plain wood blocks but where the heck do you find them?! - The toddler version of Lincoln Logs (bigger, no swallow-able pieces).

DammitJanet

Oh now Step...get used to everything battery operated...its life!

Boys love trucks. For the littler set they have softer ones.

InsaneCdn

Oh now Step...get used to everything battery operated...its life!
Oh No It Ain't.

Said the deaf old lady.
Our kids need to be protected from the NOISE of electronics, or the next generation won't be able to hear the birds sing. This stuff is HORRID. And they do NOT need it.

(and yes I'm a tech-head)

School age? maybe... even then my kids tell me we're in the dark ages.
But not for pre-schoolers.

L

Liahona

Buster likes taking things in and out of a box. He also likes pushing things like a shopping cart, vacuum, ect... If he can pretend to be helping Mama he likes it more. He likes kicking big balls and throwing little ones.

This is a really fun age and very easy to please.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
at that age............

anything that opens/closes, has doors and such that they can put stuff in and take it out and put it back in again........repeat ad naseum. LOL With Oliver and Connor both, these types of things are still a major hit. :)

InsaneCdn

Tools. Not real ones... but "real" ones. For example, those wooden hammer-blocks - a reversible mini table with different sizes and shapes of pegs, and a small mallet... and you hammer them through to the other side, turn it over, and do it again. We started with a plastic one and difficult child hammered it to pieces before he was 2... so we got him a wooden one, which he practically wore out too. (at that point we gave up and got him REAL tools and scrap wood, at about 2 and a half)

donna723

When my kids were little, my sister in law and I had an agreement. We promised to never get each others kids anything that made a lot of noise, anything that ran on batteries, or anything that came apart in a million little pieces. I still try to follow that rule with my grandson and my little herd of great-nephews.

InsaneCdn

Donna - generally? we were the same, except... well, I guess WE got the hammer block for difficult child. Because he was using whatever he could get his hands on, to hammer whatever else he could get his hands on... until he hammered home the message that he needed a HAMMER.

If somebody had got him drums, on the other hand... <kapow>

Lothlorien

I haven't read the other comments, so I don't know if this is already suggested. I just bought two of my nephews the Mickey Mouse that dances ....Making Moves Mickey or something like that. If this isn't the cutest fracking thing I have seen...I just don't know!!! I got one for my grand-nephew for Christmas and found it in my local store for 20 bucks (after I paid 70 at Christmas time). Not necessarily a learning toy, but ADORABLE!!!!

DammitJanet

Im sorry, I love the little battery operated toys. They have ones that look like cell phones or remote controls which are wonderful if you have a little baby who loves to take the parents real ones. And omg....for a boy My Pal Scout couldnt be a cuter toy. He is from Leap Frog and you set him up on the computer to say the childs name and all that stuff. Over time you can get accessories to go with him like a phone that dials straight to Scout and plays music and says the childs nname and Scouts name and the ABC's....oh so cute! I got Scout for Mikey and Violet for McKenzie.