Need a little guidance/direction/opinion......

LittleDudesMom

I got a call from the next county school district office last week informing me that difficult child has been accepted for a tuition spot to the middle school I wanted (same district easy child goes to).

The application I sent did not ask about an IEP. His transcripts were just his grades and his testing scores. He was accepted based on those.

I am to bring difficult child in by 3/3 to meet the registar, take a tour, and sign up for classes for next year.

So, when do I tell them he has an IEP? Do I bring a copy to the meeting with difficult child along? Do I call and make an appointment for just me? They can't assign his classes without his IEP. What to do - help?

Sharon

DammitJanet

Sharon...Congrats to your son! I think I know where you are talking about and this is pretty big news.

I am not an expert but I think I would arrange a meeting alone first and bring in the copy of the IEP so they are aware of it, then take in difficult child. That would be what I would do. The others may have other ideas...lol.

But I wanted to just congratulate you guys. I can only think of two counties next to you and both are great! I went to school in one...lol.

Martie

Be careful. They should not be able to discriminate, but if you did not disclose this, I would read the application fine print first.

If this is like a Charter school, they are obligated to take a certain number of kids on IEPs, but not any particular kid.

I am not trying to rain on your parade--and I know that you have wanted this, but I am very surprised it is not in the application so I would re-read it before deciding what to do.

As you say, it must be disclosed to register, but I would not do this in front of difficult child.

Martie

LittleDudesMom

Martie,

the only information requested on the application (which was one sided) was: Name of student, current school and grade, address, parent/guardian, grade entering 07/08, and desired school.

Then there was a place for my signature.

The only fine print was a sentence that said that no tution spots would be confirmed until a copy of the student's current transcripts were reviewed. In order to expidite the process, a copy may be attached to this application.

I called difficult child's school and they printed me off a transcript.

So, there was no where to disclose the fact that he has an IEP. I have his acceptance letter in my hand.

Do I call the registar and let her know that we want to come in but that difficult child has an IEP so does anyone else need to be at the meeting to assist in choosing clases?

Just not sure how to proceed.

Thanks,
Sharon

Martie

Sharon,

I am glad to hear that there is no fine print and, of course,that the acceptance is in hand. If they accepted your difficult child, based on transcript, than it would cause a h*ll of a lawsuit to unaccept him due to IEP (which would have to be the cause since they have seen the transcript.) I guess I am a little surprised that one cannot tell difficult child is Special Education qualified by looking at he transcript.

I would still make an appointment to discuss everything--the school, the program, difficult child's needs (as you would with any kid--all kids have needs), and "here is a copy of his current IEP," before taking him with you. Now seems to be the time to do this.

The reason I offer this is I had things go badly that I did not expect to be a problem. Therefore, I regretted that ex-difficult child was with me, because it did not help him to see these things. I hope it goes smoothly for you and then you can take difficult child to visit feeling confident that it will be a good experience for him.

Martie

LittleDudesMom

Martie,

My feeling as well. I didn't really want to discuss his IEP, cold, with him there just in case there is/are issue(s). I'll be calling Monday morning. difficult child's principal is writting a letter of recommendation if I feel the need to use it.

Thanks.

Sharon