Need a small appliance? See my difficult child. Turning into a RANT

DammitJanet

I used that example about how NOTHING that they had actually belonged to them while they were minors several times...usually as I was flinging it out the front door and breaking it. Or confiscating money I didnt know where it came from.

Ah, yes. I took money several times, and it made her furious. Every time, though, it was for the same reason. I tried very hard to pick my battles, and I think I did a good job tolerating and ignoring her bedroom clutter and dust. Filth, however, was a different deal. I'll not even name up all the stuff I found in there, but it was including and beyond food "remains."

I'd ask and warn several times but then finally just do it myself. I kept telling her that maid service was d___ed expensive, which was why I didn't have one. They seem to never learn from the past though, do they? After a few times, one would think it would be predictable that I'd get fed up after a point, provide "maid" service, and take "her" money.

I guess the next time an appliance comes up missing, you could take the money to replace it and give difficult child a nice photo of the new, updated appliance you buy for yourself.

Last edited:

mstang67chic

Going Green
We've tried things like that with difficult child (reversing things back on him) and it accomplishes nothing. When HE is the victim, the world must stop until it's resolved. If it's someone else....what's the big deal???

As for taking HIS stuff....he would press charges. He's 19 and while WE may have been the one to pay for the stuff (unless it's one of the many mp3 players that have cycled through our house mysteriously), he would still go straight to the cops after having a nuclear meltdown.

He went to the cops once this summer when husband took him by the arm when he was talking to him.

katya02

Solace
I know how that story goes ... when difficult child does something it's no big deal, but when something similar happens to him the world stops. So ... if your son would call police and press charges over you giving away an iPod, what do you think? Should you press charges?

Sorry, I know ... the police would look at you like you were crazy. How long do you plan to have your difficult child at home?

Hugs.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Until he's done with school this semester. He's either going to get kicked out, fail or graduate....not sure which at this point but it's not looking good. Our goal is to get him into some type of group home or similar program. The night of the coffee make fiasco, he was willing. When the time actually comes? Who knows. But...we'll find something and lay it out for him. Either do program Z, live on the street or have some reeeeally good friends that will take you in and allow you to mooch and ignore rules like you do here.