Need Advice (Have to decide today)

dstc_99

I need some personal advice about changing jobs.

I love my current job. I have a great boss who is very flexible with hours and is very understanding about kid issues. The only issues with the job are that my boss will most likely be changing soon. There is an opening that he could get moved to which would leave him in the office but not as my boss. If things work out logically I will get his second in command as my new boss and I don't think much would change. Then again I work for the government and logic is not usually applied. The other issue is that my current job is a term position. That means that my term is for one year and can be extended up to 5 years. Considering the recent budget cuts it isn't impossible that term employees could be cut to make savings. The term position also means that I can't get put money into the 401K program they have and they have a really good one.

I got offered a permanent position in an office across post. I interviewed and liked the people but I am aprehensive about it for some reason. Probably because change is scary and the timing is just horrible for my current boss. Also because my current boss has requested I be moved to a permanent position already and they are now attempting to jump through hoops to keep me here. But there are no guarantees they can make it work.

If I look at this logically I should go ahead and take the other job. It has promotion potential which I don't have here. It has access to benefits and 401K. It's closer to my house. There is a Starbucks in the building. (OK so thats just a huge smilemaker for me). But what if I get an ass for a boss?

If I look at it from a personal level I will truly miss the people I work with here. My heart is in this job right now. They are doing everything they can to make this work and get me on permanent. They have given me two bonuses in less than a year. Something that has only happened once in the last 6 years before coming here.

What should I do? Logic or Heart.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Dtsc, do you have any strong intuitive feelings one way or the other?

Years ago I was offered a terrific job which met every single desire I had at the time. It was a rare opportunity. I had 2 weeks to decide. I went insane. I so wanted the job, but a very strong intuition kept coming up, it was a STRONG feeling not to take the job. It was against all reason. I fought with myself daily. Everyone said to take the job. At the final moment I said no. I cried. I felt awful. 6 months later, the company that offered me the job, folded, went out of business. Wow. I never forgot that and I always look for that strong feeling, regardless of logic or heart or what I want.............

Do you have that?

dstc_99

RE - no not really any feelings other than the normal nervousness about starting a new job. I guess the biggest thing is I feel guilty leaving my current job during a time of fluctuation and I really like the people I work for. But right now the Army's budget cuts make anything possible and I could wind up with new bosses by March.

The thing is when i talk to anyone here about it they all want me to stay.

When I talk to people outside this office they are all telling me to go get the better opportunity.

InsaneCdn

I'm with RE.
I don't go with head or heart.
I go with GUT.

Whenever I do, things usually work.
When I ignore it, things go downhill fast.

You might have to get logical about this first.
Write out the following lists about both positions, from both PRO and CON
- people
- advancement
- $$
- job stability
- personal stability
- what do you stand to lose if you take (stay in) this position
- what do you stand to gain
- anything else you can think of to compare

And then look at it in terms of which elements are most important to you ($? advancement? people?), and from there look at what makes sense. Your gut should start coming into this at some point in the evaluation.

Scent of Cedar *

I feel guilty leaving my current job during a time of fluctuation

As you noted dstc, the time of fluctuation could become a time of cut back, in which your job could disappear.

I really like the people I work for

But change is coming there, too.

my current job is a term position

The term position also means that I can't get put
money into the 401K program they have and they
have a really good one.

I interviewed and liked the people

Also because my current boss has requested I be
moved to a permanent position already and they
are now attempting to jump through hoops to keep me here.

That is a good feeling.

If I look at this logically I should go ahead and take the other job.

It has promotion potential which I don't have here.

It has access to benefits and 401K.

It's closer to my house.

There is a Starbucks in the building.

But what if I get an ass for a boss?

Just like you posted dstc, questions about the new boss are normal. Chances are you will handle everything beautifully.

When do you need to decide?

What were your thoughts and goals when you applied for the position? How did you feel when you were selected to interview?

Did you hope you would be selected, after the interview?

Because of the benefits, the permanence of the position, and the opportunity for promotion, I think you should take it.

Cedar

recoveringenabler

Staff member
After you make the list..........

Einstein said when he had to figure anything out, he took a nap. In other words, stop thinking about it for a little while, go for a walk or work out..................try to clear your mind, and when you bring it back in to your mind, ask yourself a question like, "should I take the new job offer?"..................Or "should I stay at my present job?" Down in there somewhere, they'll be a yes or no....... I believe we know what to do, we just have to clear out the relentless thinking about it out and really listen. Like Insane, when I do that, it always works out. When I don't, oh well...........a life lesson.

2much2recover

no not really any feelings other than the normal nervousness about starting a new job. I guess the biggest thing is I feel guilty leaving my current job during a time of fluctuation
One must always be loyal to themselves first. I would go for the new position if I were you. Just my 2 cents.

susiestar

Roll With It
Go with your gut instinct. ALWAYS. The BIGGEST mistakes in my life came because I ignored or went against my gut. Did not matter what the issue was - job, education, $, kids, health issues, anything, everything. Gut is always the deciding factor for me.

But sometimes you need to take a break and not think about it to give your gut time to make itself clearly known.

Either way, I hope for the best for you!

dstc_99

I had a whopping 24 hours to make the decision. I decided to take it but am asking for a 1 months notice to report. That way I am giving the employer I have the time to try to bring me on and if that doesn't work I am not without a job.

The thing is my gut knows this new position has much more opportunity and slightly (very slightly) more pay. Of course it also has an increased workload. It's my dang heart that is making this difficult. I still don't like to be the bad guy or let people down. Even having a difficult child didn't help with that part.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Well, you made a sound decision that covers you. You did a good job. You didn't go with the people pleasing, so you made a change and you made a decision. I would call that a win/win. Go celebrate!

dstc_99

I would call that a win/win. Go celebrate!

Thanks! husband is out of town so I can't talk to him about it too much. I appreciate you guys taking the time to help considering this has nothing to do with the board.

PS: I may celebrate with a glass of wine and nice long soak in the bathtub.

InsaneCdn

I appreciate you guys taking the time to help considering this has nothing to do with the board.
Oh yes it does.

It's called "saving your sanity".
We do it for each other all the time.
Like... emergency recipes, or how to get something out of carpet, or dog problems or...
Stress from difficult child people in our lives is enough. If we can help take the pressure off on something small like this, we sure don't mind.

*at least, I don't. guess I can't speak for everyone else...

Scent of Cedar *

When we share things other than difficult child issues, I learn so much about myself. I am really happy you took the job and gave yourself and your people time to adjust, time to know what is happening next, and the most amazing thing, time to know you care about them.

That is so important.

To be human, to risk being vulnerable to human feelings, to have been open to admitting to that sense of conflict we all feel around making important decisions is so very cool of you, district.

I agree wholeheartedly with Insane Canadian, and am very happy things have worked out so well for you.

Anything we have done to support you as you made these decisions? It was our very real pleasure.

:O)

Cedar