need advice

kc2161983

My son has been diagnosed with ADHD, odd, and ashbergers disorder. I've taken him to see a doctor in gr. they said he is having rage outbursts. Normally when he snaps out of it he don't remember what happened. Looking for any info

T

TeDo

A child psychiatrist actually diagnosed all three at the same time? Hmmmm. Asperger's INCLUDES inattentiveness and what "appears" to be opposition and defiance. Kids with any form of autism rely on routine. The biggest cause of "rages" is when there is a change of routine or when THEIR plans don't happen for any reason. They have a hard time "switching gears" and "going with the flow". My difficult child 1 does remember what happened during the rage and can eventually tell me what caused it. difficult child 2 has what I call "blind rages". When we try to process what happened, he honestly cannot remember. It anger at that moment was blinding.

Can you tell us more about your son? Age, any medications, family make up, behaviors and situations they happen in, school issues, services he's receiving, etc. In order to give even remotely relevant opinions and advice, more information is needed. I for one would HATE to steer someone wrong.

buddy

I agree with TeDo, I think you need to learn about Asperger's Syndrome. This is a form of Autism and needs specific interventions. People with Asperger's do not read social cues like people who dont have it. The world needs to be very routine for them to feel comfortable and if there is a change it needs to be well prepared for. they need direct specific teaching for how to handle frustration and upset. Because of that, if they have not had this kind of skill training, they often will just push for their own way in everything and have rages if things go against how they think they should be. It is very upsetting for them and our job to help teach the skills they need to handle things better.

I suspect he got the ADHD and ODD diagnosis just based on the behaviors. What is going on neurologically is the Asperger's syndrome. His attention and hyperactivity may very likely be related to motor and sensory integration issues. If you can, it would be really really helpful for you to have him get an evaluation from an Occupational Therapist and a Speech Languagae Pathologist. They will help you find out if there are problems that are common with Asperger's syndrome like sensory integration disorder, fine motor issues, motor planning problems, auditory processing problems, language issues, social communication skill problems , etc. These are the things that will help with the ADHD and ODD types of symptoms (but again, It is very very likely he does not really have these. IF they try medications for adhd and they dont work, do not be surprised, if they do then YEAH! some kids do have both, not many dont. also medications for adhd can cause irritablilty and more rage so if you see these symptoms worsen on a medication trial stand up for your son! docs may deny this so it is up to you to advocate of course, and I am sure you already do that anyway).

I am so glad you found us. Many of us here have kids who have rages and oppositional behaviors. many also have adhd symptoms. All of us know what it is like to raise a difficult to parent child! Do you have any school support yet?

A good site to go to for information is OASIS OASIS @ MAAP - The Online Asperger Syndrome Information and Support Center

take care! buddy

lostofinnocence

My son has ADHD, ODD, MOOD DISORDER so we recently has an evaluation done at his school for an IEP, he is on a plethora of medications, he is in therapy and behavior therapy, the IEP testing has been the most useful tool, to help diagnose if he was actually misdiagnosed. I am still awaiting results and I am hopeful that this testing will be beneficial to help guide his therapy, drug regimen in the correct direction.

Sent using ConductDisorders mobile app