Need book recommendations for school personnel!

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
I would love some recommendations of books that I could buy for personnel at my son's school that would help them in dealing with my son who has ADHD and ODD.

The principal in general at my son's school is very abrasive and it sends my son into a downward spiral. He kind of seems like a bully himself. I would love to buy them a book that gives examples and ideas of how to talk to or discipline children with issues like my difficult child's.

Any suggestions?

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
Thanks D&D! Someone recommended this book to me before and I don't think I got very far before I had to return it to the library. I will check it out again look over it. Thanks!

LittleDudesMom

Another vote for "Lost in School" - it's a great book and I got the case manager at difficult child's old middle school to purchase purchase copies for the department a number of years ago.

Sharon

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
Awesome thanks! I think I will go pick up a copy, wrap a nice bow around it, and take it to the principal next week!

InsaneCdn

1) Lost at School... its probably at the top of everyone's list around here! But, if you have "The Explosive Child", you'll find that this one is exactly the same, only the message is oriented toward teachers rather than parents. It doesn't work to give "The Explosive Child" to most teachers... we got both books, so we could lend out "Lost at School" without losing OUR copy of "The Explosive Child"...

2) Driven to Distraction iby Edward Hallowell and John Ratey - an older "classic", specific to ADD/ADHD - and very well written, very balanced - the positives are also included (why ADHD people are really good at some careers, for example). Was recommended to us by the behavioral consultant when K1 was first diagnosed with ADD.

3) Smart Kids with School Problems by Priscilla L. Vail - if its still in print! Another older "classic" - missing some of the newer diagnoses, but really paints a good picture of many of the ways kids can go off the rails at school. Was recommended to us by a Resource Teacher early on in our experience.

susiestar

Roll With It
Check out the books at www.loveandlogic.com . They have a great website, great free info and great books. It is actually used at many schools and was first developed to help teachers and principals work with difficult students. It has been around a long time and it really works IF you do it properly. I have loaned my books to many of my kids' teachers and they have ALL said it really helped them in the classroom. The new teachers said it helped them with the things that no one in school tells you about and the experienced teachers said it reminded them that kids do respond to them far better if they feel the teacher cares and empathizes to some degree, and it hlepd them find new ways to reach the troubled kids.