Need Help - RE: Survivor benefits

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Star*, Jun 5, 2008.

  1. Star*

    Star* call 911

    Can anyone tell me a few things about how you go about getting survivor benefits for a child or spouse.

    I have a person who told me she was recently turned down for benfits for herself as a divorced, non-remarried spouse and a young child.

    She was told that her x did not work long enough (I'm guessing he was around 26-30 when he passed) for the child to qualify for benefits.

    Any thoughts? Any suggestions?

    Thank you for your input.
  2. klmno

    klmno Active Member

    The only thing I can suggest is to HOUND social security. If the X worked, there should be something, even if it isn't much. My dad died at 33 and had 2 (legally 3) kids. We all (or I should say, our guardians) all received monthly payments. It was not enough to support a child, but I guess any little bit helps.
  3. MyFriendKita

    MyFriendKita Member

  4. Andy

    Andy Active Member

    I googled "Survivor Benefits" and got directed to the website that rm1976 provided. I would check that site out and then HOUND Social Security. I find that a lot of large organizations like Social Security often have a different person answer the phone every time you call. There is so much involved in Social Security that that person may not (probably doesn't) know everything or know how to use the tools he or she was given to get you to the right place. So, whatever you find in your research may give you the correct terminology you need when you call.

    A local Social Security office may also have the forms you need to start the application. (you may also be able to download the forms from the site rm1976 provided. However, some of these applications are really booklets and may be just easier to get it from Social Security).
  5. GoingNorth

    GoingNorth Crazy Cat Lady

    In order to be vested in the SS system, one has to have worked so many quarters. If the deceased is not vested, than children would not be eligible for survivor's benefits.
  6. Star*

    Star* call 911

    okay - lets assume he didn't work a day in his life on "record". Can you appeal this? Or will they just keep coming back to "you have no credits" you get no money?

    WHAT ELSE is available to this child as a survivor? Anything? I'm having no luck finding anything how about United Way or Good will or anything like that? Anyone?

  7. witzend

    witzend Well-Known Member

    Supposedly there is a "base" benefit. It increases depending upon the number of hours worked over a specific number of years.
  8. Shari

    Shari IsItFridayYet?

    My mom takes care of a little old elderly man who lives in a bus.

    When his mom got older and needed care, and he was no longer able to work, he lived with her and took care of her. She received social security from her deceased husband, as she never worked outside the home. It was enough to keep the ancient home going and food on the table. Not much else.

    Mom's little old man never paid into SS, so when his mom died, he had nothing. At this point, he was too old to work manual labor jobs, couldn't read, lives in a small town with no access to public education without driving 40 miles, and he doesn't own a car or have a license (couldn't afford it if he did). Mom was a bank manager until she retired, and she coudln't find a way thru the loopholes. He gets about $500 a month in disability and qualifies for food stamps (tho there's no place to buy groceries). He drives a lawnmower, that mom keeps in repair, his utilities take over half his money (cause he lives in a bus), and beyond that, he can't get squat unless he moves to a city fairly far away from where he is now.

    So I can't say for sure, but my mom's pretty crafty about these things, and my guess is, if they haven't paid in, they can't get benefits.

    But I hope you can prove her wrong.
  9. dreamer

    dreamer New Member

    My kids get dependants bens becuz husband has been on soc sec disability for a long time. In order for husband to get his soc sec disability he had to have x number of quarters of work where he paid in to soc sec thru deductions from his paycheck. My kids gets bens as long as husband is on soc sec disability and as long as they are under age 18, remain our dependants (well dhs dependants) and are unmarried. My husband gets the soc sec becuz he worked the required number of quarteres AND paid in to soc sec thru his payroll.
    My minister brother works full time, BUT they do not take soc sec out of his pay, so he is not paying IN to soc sec so he will not be able to ever draw from soc sec. (becuz he also does not pay in on his own, either)
    A person who works "on the side" - usually for cash.....and who does not pay IN to soc sec cannot apply for and GET soc sec and neither can their dependants.

    Persons who do not have the rquired number of quarters in and the amounts paid in to soc sec CAN sometimes get SSI, if they are too disabled to work themself and build up enough credits to get soc sec disability. I believe persons who are awarded ssi can also get bens for their dependants. But SSI is, I believe, for persons who cannot woork due to disability who are not otherwise eligible for standard soc sec disability?
    Women who have never worked outside the home, CAN draw off their spouses benefits, provided their spouse qualified for bens. ANd even post divorce, if the marriage lasted 10 yrs or more, I believe a woman can still draw off a previous husband bens----- and it does NOT reduce the mans payout?
    But nope- if someone did not pay in to soc sec neither them nor their dependants can draw out.....kinda like if you never play the lottery you cannot ever win the lottery. Bummer is lots of people pay IN to soc sec but then when they try to file a claim, they get denied. But the denial is usually becuz soc sec feels they do not qualify "at this time" such as the disability is not severe enough.
    It also USED to be children of person on soc sec or deceased persons minor children could continue to get bens thru college, but now they no longer can get dependants bens past age 18 or graduation from HS.

    But no, if the dad never worked a job where he paid IN to soc sec....his children will not be able to get any bens. (or if he did not work enough to put in his required number of work quarters for his age)
  10. dreamer

    dreamer New Member

    Oh much a child gets is based on a percent of how much the person who put in the work earned and paid in, and how much they would draw out. It is different for everyone, BUT there is a maximum amount. And no- it is NOT enough to raise a child or run a home etc, altho it can very often be too much to qualify for food stamps, and even too much to qualify sometimes for Medicaide etc.
    AND.....we found out when son was bnorn, haveing another child does not increase how much the family gets....each child does get a check for their care and support BUT...if you have 2 kids, they sned x dollars, if you have a 3rd kid, the overall amount sent for children is re configured, and the 3 kids will then spilt howveer much the total for the children is. SO like if you get 100 a month (not a valid amount) for 2 kids, if you have a 3rd child added in, you will still get 100 for 3 kids. But instead of each child getting 50, now each child will get 33. and as each child reaches age 18 or graduates HS.....the dollar amount per child will also again change, and the 3 kids that got 33 will each get 50 when their oldest sibling turns 18 or graduates HS. so- the family would then still get 100 for children. until the children all reach age 18 or graduate. So- if there are other children somewhere....who are getting bens on this man as survivors, THEIR monthly amount might decrease to add on another child. But again, if the man never worked where he paid in....they will not get anything. Or if he did not have enough work time in per soc sec rules.
  11. Star*

    Star* call 911

    Thank you all very much I will be passing this information along and trying to help sort it out.

    You are all FANTASTICO and very knowledgeable.

    What powers of research - I'm impressed!!!
  12. DammitJanet

    DammitJanet Well-Known Member Staff Member thing is that if a person is under a certain age in their 20s...the quarters of working is less than it would be if they were older.

    However, if the person worked under the table, he or she would only be eligible for SSI and that doesnt qualify their dependents to Social Security survivor benefits. Im not entirely sure right now what would happen to Keyana if Cory died because Cory just became eligible to get slightly more disability benefits based on MY benefits because he was deemed to be disabled before aged 22 and he has a disabled parent. This means he actually gets a combination of SSI and SSDI just like I do but his child isnt eligible for a payment at this time. I dont know if she would be if he died. Its a very confusing system. He also gets some benefits based on the fact that he has worked some and they look at that too...reduce his checks those months and all that good junk.