Need help with an embarassing clothing issue

Copabanana

It's about what kind of shape you are in
I looked up the waist to hip ratio. It makes sense to me. Thank you.

It is a bit more rigorous a measure for me, because I am an apple-shape. If I go by the waist hip ratio I have to get skinnier. But it makes sense to keep apprised.

I appreciate you speaking to fitness as well as weight. Because we can always work toward fitness, at whatever weight and should. It is something I can do now.

Thank you.

COPA

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
CB, tight fitting pants look ghastly on overweight women unless the problem areas are covered up.

In my case, my problem area is my belly. I wear "big shirts", and tunics to cover that up.

If you dress that way, you can even get away with leggings.

Do not wear clothing you have to squeeze into. It's not attractive, not healthy, and just calls attention to your weight.

What barely fits, and what actually looks good, are two very different things.

Best wishes on the wardrobe hunt.

Copabanana

If you dress that way, you can even get away with leggings.
I dress like GN and I have the same problem area. Even jeggings work with a long top, say 34 inches so that it covers the behind, ideally to the mid thigh. It is recommended that you buy in a larger size, still, so that the jeggings to not cling, but rather look like very slim pants.

COPA

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Copa, I have very little in the way of backside and thighs compared to my gut, and leggings/jeggings that fit in the waist actually are a bit loose for that type of trouser elsewhere.

I have one pair of "spandexy" leggings that actually fit skin-tight that I don't like wearing as one can see that my left knee is somewhat "lumpy" from the arthritis.

I wear mostly 32"-34" inch tops, some with split hems (longer in back), which hang to at least below the hip on me. I prefer upper to mid-thigh length tops.

One problem I do have with the large women's pullover tops is that they are often cut too low in the neck for me. I am large-busted and some of these tops are not "bra-friendly" at all.

Copabanana

GoingNorth, You are my twin. We were indeed separated at birth. I read on a website for style for mature women that loose jeggings are more appropriate for somebody my age. (I am older than you.) Sometimes I look a little bit sloppy with the looser, droopy fabric. I am a work in progress.

COPA

Copabanana

At Walmart online I bought a few fleece nightshirts that go to 34" in animal prints to use as tunics. They are cute. You would not know they are nightgowns.

COPA

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I don't have good luck with Walmart's clothing. They just aren't cut right for my build, and they just don't hold up well at all.

I buy some clothing at Kohl's when they have their sales, though their quality has tailed off over the last three or so years.

I still have the best luck with the online companies I mentioned up-thread a bit.

InsaneCdn

They just aren't cut right for my build, and they just don't hold up well at all.
In general, I haven't found anywhere that really makes good quality clothes, out of good quality material with good design and good build. Some things... are sort-of worth the value, as in, not overly expensive so don't mind when they don't last as long. But good stuff is really hard to find. Which is why... I end up making some of what I wear.

Californiablonde

Okay so I spent part of my Kohl's gift card on Saturday. I am appalled and ashamed to say that I have now gone up to size 18!!! No wonder my size 14's don't zip up anymore. I am so depressed that I let the stress get to me and I gained THAT much weight. I also went from a 36D bra to a 38DD. My upper back has been hurting me lately, and it's probably due to my weight gain.

Anyway, at Kohls I bought a pair of black jeans, a new bra in the correct size, and an extra large white cami. I am now wearing the cami underneath my sweater. It goes down to my hips. My question is, do I wear it tucked in or keep it out like I'm doing now? I am asking because I am going to feel really self conscious having an extra shirt hanging down to my hips 5 days a week at work. Is keeping it tucked out the thing to do? Or do I tuck it down in to my jeans? I am just SO upset at my weight gain. Ugh!!

Californiablonde

Oh and I still haven't weighed myself and I'm not going to. At least not for awhile. I am guessing I am now at the 200 mark and all it's going to do is depress me and discourage me if I know my weight at this point. When I feel depressed or discouraged, I overeat to make myself feel better. So I am not weighing myself. For now I will go by how my clothes feel and if they're getting looser. I will start tracking my weight in a few weeks. I just can't stand to look at the scale now.

Copabanana

do I wear it tucked in or keep it out like I'm doing now?
One way to wear it is to leave it out so it shows a few inches below the other shirt. But that usually is if you are wearing another T Shirt over it. You are using it for modesty to make sure if your shirt gaps, that nothing shows. I think either way would be fine, that is, what ever makes you feel more comfortable.
I am going to feel really self conscious having an extra shirt hanging down to my hips 5 days a week at work
These things are so cheap at the thrift store. Like a dollar or less at the ones in my city. Get 5 and wash on the weekend.

Forever 21 sells them new for a few dollars or less sometimes. I got pretty ones cheap at Lands End online.

Most of all: We are all in the same boat: stress, weight gain due to medication, depressed. You will lose the weight. You have done the hard part: faced it

COPA

Californiablonde

A very good friend of mine lost 150 pounds last year. She used to weigh over 300 pounds. She did it all the natural way. Tracking all of her calories and intense exercising. She would walk a half hour to the gym, spend two hours working out, then walk a half hour back to her house. It only took her 9 months to lose a massive amount of weight. A couple of years ago she refused to post any pictures of herself on Facebook. Now she posts full body pictures all the time and she looks fabulous! I am jealous.

Anyway, I asked her what made her finally get motivated to lose the weight, after years and years of complaining she was fat and miserable. She told me that one day it would just click for me. She told me that for her she had a huge wake up call. I can't recall what her wake up call was at the moment, but it finally motivated her to get moving and finally get healthy. Well after starting and stopping my diet several times over the last year, I think I have finally had my wake up call in the Kohl's dressing room on Saturday, when I was attempting to zip up a pair of size 16 jeans and they were tight.

This is the absolute fattest I have ever been in my life. I am now officially plus sized. My worst nightmare. I think things have finally "clicked" for me, like my good friend said happened to her. This is my wake up call. I started back on Weight Watchers yesterday, and so far haven't cheated or even been tempted to cheat at all. I don't think I will cheat from this point on either. I am officially obese, plus sized, and unhealthy. I am going to vow to lose all of this weight, no matter how long it takes for me. Of course my friend, who is a stay at home mom of a teenage easy child, had all the time in the world to work out several hours a day. I don't have that time, but I do have time to do my half hour brisk walks after work and more on the weekends. It may take me a lot longer than my friend did to lose the weight, but I am not giving up now.

raylea

I dont really care for the way jeans are made anymore. The waist is so low on everything! The zipper is literally an inch long. So I especially hate tops that ride up when your sitting down or bending down etc..your whole crack ends up showing. And it seems that unless your supermodel skinny, jeans cut that low give EVERYONE a muffin top. Not saying I want "mom" jeans to come back into style just wish they would make them not quite so below the hip.

Maybe its just that Im getting old (lol) but I rarely see jeans anymore that are flattering to a womans figure. The cut is all wrong or something.

for this reason I have learned to layer a tank or cami underneath a longer looser open blouse or cardigan. It hides the extra skin we dont want everyone to see!