Need help with an embarassing clothing issue

Californiablonde

So you all know how I have been struggling with my weight for the past couple of years. I have lost some, gained some, lost some more, then gained it right back. Well since my new horrible boss started working here in September and is SO demanding, I have been binge eating non stop to deal with all the extra stress. I don't know how much weight I have gained. I weighed approximately 171 pounds in the summer.

Now my size 14's don't fit, so I am officially plus sized. I am estimating that I probably weigh somewhere near 200 pounds at this point. I bought a new bathroom scale a couple weeks ago, and I've yet to put the batteries in and finally weigh myself. Perhaps I will get up the courage tomorrow.

Anyway, since my weight gain, I have this embarrassing problem with my shirt/sweater/top, or whatever it is I'm wearing, riding up and exposing my skin. So far two different coworkers have pointed out that when I stand up from my desk, my shirt goes up and you can see my fat. Something that's true but hurtful all the same. The tops I am wearing fit everywhere else, as far as my arms and shoulders are concerned, but the bottom part of my tops ride up, and I am constantly having to pull them down.

The last thing I want to do is disgust anybody with my huge, unsightly fat. I looked in the mirror at work today and was absolutely disgusted with my body. Therefor, I am back to dieting. But in the mean time, I seriously need the name of a good plus sized shop that is not too expensive, that specializes in long tops. I am sick of always having to pull mine down, and it's embarrassing too. Does anybody have any advice on where I can shop that's not too pricey?

Californiablonde

I have a couple of tanks but they are also short. Perhaps a bigger size? Problem is I'm very small boned so larger sized slip off my shoulders.

Copabanana

I seriously need the name of a good plus sized shop that is not too expensive, that specializes in long tops.
I am exactly in your situation. Basically a small-ish, top-heavy body, too large for my frame.

The solution for me is a tunic. A long tunic which goes to the hips, without buttons in the front. Worn over pants, jeggings, or leggings.

I am buying clothes online at Walmart because I do not want to invest in too large stuff. They are cheap. I bought some tunics for $4 to $5--which was lucky but they seem to have specials often. I do not pay over $10 or $12 for anything except maybe $13 or so for cardigan sweaters.

I am layering. Depending upon what your weather is like: a cami or tee shirt, then the tunic, then a cardigan sweater, over leggings/jeggings/slim pants.

I am following the principles of column of color dressing, to look thinner. You can look online at google images. It is to use one color up and down to elongate the body. I am using scarves to add color and pattern but am sticking to solid colors, a la the column of color. I am buying cheap silk scarves on Ebay but buy them in thrift shops too.

The other thing I did was I got a referral to a nutritionist from the doctor. I go every month. It helps. I am not weighing myself now, just when I go to her. I am losing slowly, like 2 pounds a month.

You are not in any of this alone. Remember that. I am so glad you posted about it. Because it makes me feel not alone, either.

Try layering!!!

COPA

PS I cannot and do not wear blouses that button because they gap. I carry most of weight in my top half. I totally relate.

Thank you for giving me this opportunity to discuss "column of color." I am obsessed.

Copabanana

column of color dressing.jpg

This is an example of column of color dressing. The same color can be inside or outside. If it is inside the shirt and bottom (including stockings and shoes) are the same color. If it is outside the sweater or jacket and the bottom half are the same color.

Copabanana

The key is to not have buttons in the front. If it is colder where you are, what I do is wear a sweater over the first layers which makes me feel more covered.

If you google on google images: plus size dressing, you will find lots of hints.

The first thing is to lose the shame. It is not embarrassing. We just have to get strategic.

You are part of the 55 percent or more of women who are overweight. There are reasons for it: Stress, responsibilities, health reasons.

You are a hero. Remember that. There is nothing embarrassing at all about you or your life. You are a triumph.

COPA

Last edited:

KTMom91

I'm definitely in the plus sized category, and I get almost all of my clothes at Catherine's. They aren't cheap, but the sales/clearance prices are pretty good, and the shirts are nice and long, but not so long that they get caught under your butt. The local store is way across town, so I do most of my shopping online.

I found Lane Bryant to be way too dressy for the classroom, and Avenue, while some of their stuff is cute, tends to run short in the shirt department, and they creep up.

Copabanana

I like PASA's idea of the tank top under shirts. I believe in thrift stores. You can get tank tops/camis where I live for $1 or so.

There was a young lady at the Physical Therapist's I went to. She always wore camis under her Tee Shirts, mainly those type, I forget the name, that have one pocket and collars. (Polo T shirt, I remembered.) The camis came out about 3 inches under the shirt, over her pants. She had to weigh 200 pounds, and she was way short. Like 5'. She looked adorable. She coordinated athletic shoes with her colors. Just that touch made everything she wore, cute. And she looked cute. Like she cared for herself. For me, that is the key. That is why I like scarves.

COPA

Last edited:

Copabanana

I forgot the other central concept of column of color dressing.

(I told you I am obsessed.)

It is the principle of thirds. Cutting your body in half is not a good look. Thirds is better.

COPA

Ironbutterfly

If focused on a single leaf you won't see the tree
Look at Womanwithin.com and OneStopPlus(Full beauty). They have a nice selection of plus size shirts, etc. I have lost a lot of weight due to stress with Difficult Child over the last couple of years and don't order from them much anymore.

I wear lot of leggings with tops that come to middle of thigh with boots(winter here). Then add a sweater sometimes over the top or little jacket. I carry much of weight in my stomach.

Ironbutterfly

(hug to you Copa). Thanks for sharing the "Column of Color"- I just got done visiting the website, lots of good stuff there. I especially focused on the article about muffin-tops, that is my number one enemy. I have a hard time with pants because I have skinny legs, small butt, and carry weight in the middle. So I resorted to leggings (dark colors of course) with fancy mid high boots since I am also only about 5'3".

Pants for me are too tight in waist and too baggy in the legs and butteroo. Ugggh.

Copabanana

Pants for me are too tight in waist and too baggy in the legs and butteroo.
I swear, Ironbutterfly. We were separated at birth. I only this year discovered jeggings, and the other type of bottoms, tight through the legs, that have stretch at the waist but are thick like pants. Who knew?

The only blessing of our body type is that when we get thin we are thin. No pesky hips.

Is that column of color not a great concept?

COPA

Ironbutterfly

Yes it is! I know the pants you are referring to and I have a pair.

I am struggling to find a wedding dress for middle son's wedding next September. So many of the Mother of the Groom dresses are not for my body type or look like it's old maid dress. I hate zipper type dresses, prefer free flowing, over the head type of dress. I hate my weight in the stomach.

Copabanana

I hate zipper type dresses, prefer free flowing, over the head type of dress.
Me too.
I am struggling to find a wedding dress for middle son's wedding next September.
I will look online for you. I love to shop.

Think positive about your stomach. It can disappear. Completely. Unlike difficult thighs and legs. Stomachs are all fat, so they can go away. I will look for dresses for you.

COPA

Copabanana

Sorry to hijack your thread temporarily CB.

Ironbutterfly, there is a website that has an article called 25 dress styles to hide belly fat. Are any of these type styles appealing:

dress 1.jpg
dress 2.jpg
dress 3.jpg

InsaneCdn

For comfort and sheer practicality... when my weight goes up? It's "jumpers". Top goes underneath, nothing to ride up. Hides the weight fairly well if you get the looser styles. I make my own.