Need help with ettiquite for Thank you cards

K

Kjs

The funeral home sent preprinted thank you cards. I brought some to work thinking I would fill a few out and mail. I gave one to my boss for the company sending flowers.

He then handed me two cards. One from the supervisors (four of them) and one from all my co-workers. Some people I do not even know. Both cards had money in them.

How do I handle this? I can either buy a different card than the one already pre-printed that I gave him for the flowers - for the supervisors.

What about my co-workers. There is a bulliten board in the data center that I sometimes see cards on. Do I just hang up a thank you? What do I say? Do I mention the money?
Should I donate to diabetes foundation in her memory? How do I state this.

I was not expecting this at all.

DammitJanet

I believe what I would do about the cards the supervisor gave you would be to get one thank you card and post it on the bulletin board. You could say something like "Thank you for thinking of my family and me during our loved ones passing. The prayers, good thoughts and gifts were very much appreciated by everyone."

Fran

Former desparate mom
I would send one to each of the four supervisors.
Depending on the numbers of co workers, I would probably do a group thank you and post it in the room where all can read.

With my dad, all money was donated to a charity. I think we sent it to Visiting Nurses. In years past the money was meant to have masses said for the soul of the deceased(R.Catholic) We wouldn't touch money that is meant for masses. Very bad karma. ;)

Absolutely mention where their gift of money went in the thank you notes.

Lothlorien

You can type up a nice letter on some stationary and write a simple letter of thanks and put it up on the bulletin board. That was awfully nice of them. People usually give money to help with funeral expenses, instead of sending flowers. You don't have to donate it, but if you do, you can certainly write that.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Send the money to the society or group you want - and ask for a receipt -

Put a copy of the receipt IN with the thank you cards -
One each to the supervisors
ONE GANG thank you card with a receipt on the bulletin board for the group card.

As far as the preprinted ones from the funeral home? Sure - use those for each supervisor and one for the group, but be sure to name everyone in the group thank you card.

People like to see 1.) Their name 2.) where their money went -
Not everyone is like that - I couldn't care less - but there are some out there like that.

As far as the place to donate it to? Maybe find a child that is suffering from something similar to your Moms situation and send it to them. We have a little boy here in our town that everyone is sort of rallying around to pitch in and help in any way - and once word got out? Donations really started getting to him for assistance and family assistance. They set up a fund through a bank. And there is always the Shriners and Ronald McDonald house.

Hugs - I think what you are suggesting is such a lovely way to remember your Mom.

K

Kjs

All your suggestions sound great. Trouble with signing everyones name is I do not KNOW some of them and have difficult time reading last names...or the entire name for that matter.

Arthritis, diabetes - two of the major elements. I believe I will donate to both as well as a memorial service. All six kids were catholic, but my mother was lutheran. That doesn't matter. Never did.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
I know people liked to be acknowledged for their contributions, but trying to name everyone sometimes leads to omissions, someone didn't get to sign the card because they weren't there that day or whatever.....I think posting a card that acknowledges all and says your intent with the donation would be great.....

Star*

call 911........call 911
I digress - Why me mom is correct -

Just one gang card and THANKS should suffice -

Seriously - you just suffered a major loss - I think that will do fine.