Need ideas for gifts

klmno

for difficult child. He's in the psychiatric hospital but I suspect he'll be home by Christmas because I don't think I can get them to send them anywhere. Either way- I haven't bought him a single gift yet.

He turns 14 yo in Jan. He wants a new bike but I don't get him new "wheels" when he isn't stable. I have a gift certificate to the mall I can use for him. (Money is VERY tight right now.) I had been thinking that I'd put together a starter shaving kit for his b-day but now that he's been cutting, that's a no-go. Plus, he only has a shadow of peach fuzz on his upper lip. LOL!

He likes the video games, of course, even though that leads to fussing in the store a lot over which games he wants and what I won't allow him to have.

I'd be fine with throwing him a b-day party at laser tag, but he has no friends right now except the boy I cringe about.

He can't stand reading. Really, he's in that stage where he wants a lot that I'm not quite comfortable with. He'd love a poster of a young lady in a bikini, for instance. So, I need some ideas from other parents of difficult child teen boys who understand where some gifts can lead an unstable kid's mind!!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Does he like to build things? My 14yo does, so model kits, Legos, complicated puzzles and such he loves to get.

What about just picking out a video game you "think" he'd like? You can get a really good deal on used games now. And they usually come with a warranty for at least 30 days.

What about music? Or movie tickets? Bowling certificate? A calendar? Bake him his favorite cookies?

Does he like soft textured things? I got my difficult child's fleece blankets, fleece sleep pj pants and slippers (they love cocooning). Most stores have awesome deals right now. Or you can make the kind you tie on the ends from easy kits at fabric stores. Maybe it's something you could even do together.

My mom one year decided to take each kid and teach them to crochet a scarf (she helped a little). I got one of the creations from difficult child 1 for my birthday. Another from difficult child 2 for Christmas. And easy child kept hers :)

Don't know if he'd like any of these things... Maybe take him shopping at the after-Christmas sales with the mall certificate.

F

flutterbee

I like the after-Christmas sale shopping. It will give you and difficult child time to be out of the house together, doing something fun and something for him (if he's stable enough). As for Christmas Day, maybe do a movie. I'm taking the kids to see Marley & Me. The book was hillarious. I hope the movie is half as good.

That gift certificate will go a lot further with the good sales to come. And difficult child is aware of the tight financial situation.

M

ML

I like the crazy chick's ideas. An idea that is cheap would be a sketch pad and pencils if he's at all into art. DVDs can also be pretty reasonable this time of year. Hugs :) ML

klmno

Actually, I'm liking the idea more & more- it won't matter that way if he gets out the day before Christmas or whatever that way. I could get him one or two small thingss so he doesn't feel completely deprived but keep the day calm.

He would like music cd's, but I don't know what to get him. The last time he looked, he first picked up two- one about suicide and death songs and another that had songs about bleeding. (This was last week) I told him I couldn't let him buy those and he said it was alright, he'd changed his mind anyway and didn't really want them.

But, looking cool and being able to talk about having things that other kids like is important to him. So, does anyone know of a cd that would be good? He says he likes metallica- but I hear him listen to music that I like (not metallica) when no one is around.

I had already stocked him up on the sleeping pants- he loves them and has a pair with him now at the psychiatric hospital! He might like a movie- that's a good idea. I wish his best friend from last year was still allowed to hang out with him- that would be ideal. But, I think that's part of what lead this depression to get so bad.

klmno

Rolling Stones might be a good one- thanks! That jogs my memory, too- there was another one on rock band that he liked and of course, it was one of the oldie rock hits.

He's been wanting a jacket that he picks out instead of me- I can use the gift certificate and let him shop for his own "cool" jacket.

If I could find a really good deal on a tv for his bedrooom, I'd go ahead and get that for him- otherwise, he might get that for his b-day. When he started having trouble sleeping, psychiatrist said not to let him have a tv in his room, but I've gotten to a point where I'd prefer him lay and bed and watch tv then roam the house at night- and I have a feeling it's leading fast to him sneaking out to hang out with "the kid". So, maybe if he has a tv in his room, he might have some chance of falling asleep.

meowbunny

Do you live near an amusement park or other type of entertainment? Maybe a season's pass to something near you. Gift certificates/cards to the movies is always a good one and make great stocking stuffers. Oddly, something I gave one of "my" boys when I was a GAL was a stuffed moose. His mother told me that when he was admitted a few months after Christmas, it was the one thing he asked for, so a stuffed animal might actually be a good gift (especially if exceptionally goofy looking and on the masculine side).

I would not get him a Beatles or Stones CD. While it is great music, it's just not "cool." Go the music store and find a kid around his age and ask what's hot right now. I don't know if it's in with teens but I hear Kanye West's new CD is really good. Since he likes Metallica, find out what new heavy metal is out there and see if you can listen to it or at least check the lyrics. There's some good stuff in all the junk.

I like the art idea a lot if he has any inclination to draw.

How about a Metallica t-shirt?

One of my daughter's favorite gifts is a coupon book that I make up. When she was younger, it had things like good for: "one super hug," "one no chore day," "one hour of you pick the tv program for us to watch," "upside down day (dinner at breakfast, etc.)," "you and I do something and you pick the activity (but the cost will be no more than $XX)" and so on. I always was sure to include several hug coupons and at least one outrageous, silly thing. The coupons were used up by February.

susiestar

Roll With It
What about David Cook's CD? He was the winner of American Idol and is supposed to be quite popular. Of course, we live near Tulsa and he grew up down the street from one of husband's coworkers, so there may be some bias.

If he is into building things, amazon has the Struxx Robotixx T Rex set that has about 500 pieces but lets you build a variety of things. The T Rex roars, has eyes that light up, and moves. It is on sale right now for $19.99 down from $69.99.

Maybe the latest Indiana jones movie on DVD, or Prince Caspian from Chronicles of Narnia?

Maybe movie tickets?

With the mall gift cert you could get him some of the Bath and body works CO Bigelow Mens Products. They are actually VERY nice. My dad is allergic to a lot of scented products and he didn't fuss about the Red colored line that Wiz liked.

Also, maybe an electric razor (corded ones are not too expensive). Wiz uses this because the whole cutting issue. Wiz lost his razor over here one day (thank you had taken it into his room to "play" that he was shaving and it got buried.). I suggested he use a reg razor for just a few days - he said it might be too much temptation and he just wanted to stay off that road. So you may want to just have electric razors for him period - whether for Xmas or not.

Also, maybe ask on Freecycle if there is something he would really like?

Andy

How about new bedsheets and blankets and pillows? Either fun bedsheets or regular ones.

A wallet with gift cards in it. Gift cards for a variety of places, fast food places, shopping places, etc.

I don't know the latest music selections so am unable to help in that area.

Does he need a new stocking? Has he outgrown the one he has?

F

flutterbee

With the popularity of Rock Band and Guitar Hero, old bands have become popular again...Queen, Stones, Skynard - but I swear if I have to hear Boston or Nirvana one more time I'm going to scream. I didn't like them the first time around. Hearing them repeatedly on these games is gonna make me go crazy. -er.

Some current rock bands....Breaking Benjamin, 3 Days Grace, Saving Abel, Puddle of Mudd, Stone Sour. Audioslave has since broken up, but their CD's are awesome. These are bands I listen to, so they're not all death and suicide. But, they are popular bands today. (My personal fave is Breaking Benjamin. :) ) If he likes Metallica, he should like these. You can google them and read some song lyrics and listen to tracks probably. If you go to youtube and put in their name, you'll find videos. The wife of the lead singer of 3 Days Grace suffers from clinical depression and he writes about her some. The band members in Stone Sour are some of the members from Slipknot which is a really hard metal band, but they wanted to do something with more (can't think of the word) music instead of screaming (that's not what I wanted to say, but that's what it is LOL). Audioslave was the first American band allowed to play in Cuba in like 50 years. They had a documentary on it. I like my music. :D

Kids these days seem to really like DVD's of their favorite TV shows. You can get a DVD of season 1 or whatever of whatever show he likes.

You might also want to look into a gamefly acct (gamefly.com). It's like netflix only it's for video games. Plus, most games (after they aren't brand new) can be purchased and much cheaper than at the store.

klmno

Thanks everyone! There are some great ideas here and I'm really happy to learn that I can go online and listen to some music lyrics. I thought cd's had a label on them if they were very violent or suicidal, but I must have dreamt that!

Anyway, I'll do a little shopping this weekend and see what I can find. a metallica shirt is a good idea too!

He has a good stocking- I'll fill the stocking and have a couple of boxes wrapped- maybe one of the boxes will have the gift certificate for the mall. I'm going to hold off on the shaving, I might get an electric razor for his b-day. I can still get him some cologne for his stocking.

So- keep ideas coming- especially for small inexpensive stocking stuffers!

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I can't believe I am even going to suggest this, but would he be into collecting something that you can add to.

SO collects Yoda stuff and war books, DVD's (and he is living with the biggest anti war person this side of the Mississippi..sigh), and now is into coins as well. easy child collects Disney DVD's, difficult child it was Baseball Cards and Star Wars, eldest was Bunnies. SO loves cruising Ebay for his Yoda stuff, although coins seem to be his main thing now. Maybe you can get him a couple of Penny, Nickle, Dime books to start, or maybe the book that has the new quarters that are issued for every state

There is a young kid who frequents the coin shop that SO helps out at, and his parents will go to the bank every so often and get just rolls of coins and the boy goes thru them, finds the ones he needs for his collection, and they just take the rest back to the bank again and cash them in.

Marcie

meowbunny

Stocking stuffers: I like going for pure silliness. This year, my theme is gifts of youth. So, went to the dollar store and got a slinky, some bubbles, a yo-yo, bubble gum and stuff like that. Who knows, I might even get her a hula hoop just for the heck of it. As much as I hate it, the "big" ticket item for the stocking will be a carton of smokes and some lighters. One year it was all Disney stuff. The next was Looney Tunes. Cat and dog themes go over well, too. Of course, socks and some undies are always in there as well.

Oh, a calendar with the important family/friend dates written in is always enjoyed -- especially if the calendar is geared to the recipient's interests.

My kid hates to read but there is one book she loves to get every year -- The Guinness Book of Records. She really finds that fascinating and actually reads it.

I think I'm out of ideas for now.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Do you know any neighborhood boys that *might* come to a lasertag party? Sometimes when difficult child 1 didn't have any friends, we invited acquaintences to an appealing party, and every once in a while, it landed a new friendship.

My other idea is silly string. My kids love it (even the adult ones). In fact, I'm looking at 6 cans in front of me right now, waiting to be blasted.

klmno

Ok, I visited difficult child at psychiatric hospital then did a little shopping for stocking stuffers- actually, one or two things could be wrapped if necesssary. I got him a couple of things you guys suggested and then difficult child had mentioned today that he'd like to have some wool socks to wear at night in his bedroom because it's chilly in there. (He means his bedroom at home- not the psychiatric hospital) I got him a wool blend- I hope they breathe a little more- it's not exactly like he has no heat in the room but it is chilly.

I like the idea of silly theme stuff- I might stop by the dollar store to get stuffers like that since I'm sure the stocking wouldn't be full with what I have so far.

I looked at tv's at walmart. They were all over $200, except for one that looked like it weighed a ton. I was surprised- I thought they'd have better deals going on. Maybe they were just sold out.

klmno

OK- thanks! They have one near the walmart- I can run by there tomorrow! Of course, I have to contend with this family meeting tomorrow- where I tell them that I'm in dire straights at home and I don't know how that will be taken...