Need luck on new medication

TerryJ2

Thank you all.
Yeah, it's weird that the dr said that. difficult child was very sleepy and didn't pay attention during the mtng, so he's no help, or I'd ask him. He's usually got a very good memory about things ... when he wants to.
by the way, I found the note, in the dr's handwriting, describing the amts of mgs and Oz's. I diluted it and it's fine for the entire weekend.

Andy

My difficult child started with 10mg Flouxetine and worked up to 30mg. It came in tablet form. It was a godsend for him. It was also given with the understanding that he would do the work needed to get off of it if possible. Not all kids can come off it, but many can.

I have also learned that you can not switch back and forth from tablet to liquid form. That is why when he was being weaned off, we could not go less than 10 mg. We did 10 every other day while coming off it.

It worked wonders for us.

Starting with 20 and diluting is news to me also. I would think the 10 mg would be a safer route. And it does take up to three weeks to come down from each step so I would think it could take that long to have it totally in your system when starting out.

Good luck. Check the side effects - the tiredness may be one. I would have to find my journal for more info - I am not good at remembering things so need to write everything down.

smallworld

Andy, we were told you could switch from tablet to liquid and vice versa. What was the reason you were given for this not being possible?

Andy

I was told that they are not compatible for some reason. The psychiatrist told us that. I know the therapist had suggested that as a possibility if difficult child had difficulty with the last step but psychiatrist said it was not a good idea.

I did not question psychiatrist as to why -

Andy

P.S. Maybe on a case by case, psychiatrist didn't think it was necessary for my difficult child? I don't know

TerryJ2

I am not good at remembering things so need to write everything down.

You too? LOL.

I'm thinking that the liquid is going to be absorbed more quickly, since the capsule is open and dissolved.
Once he switches to the capsule, it will dissolve more slowly, and stay in his system longer.
Again, more questions for the pharmacist ...