Need motivation to keep exercising/eating well

Fran

Former desparate mom
I need help from my partners in healthy eating and exercising.
I can tell I'm losing focus again. I want to skip exercising which leads me to not stay on the healthy eating plan. :hammer: It's the old "if you always do what you always did" scenario.

Someone needs to give me a knock upside the head to stay on track. The scale moving so slowly doesn't help. I want to curl up with a blanket and a book but I need to get on the treadmill first.

What do you do when you feel yourself slipping?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Fran

I force myself to do it anyway, like washing the dishes. lmao

C'mon, you'll feel better. I was surprised at how good eating right and especially the exercising made me feel. After a while it became more about feeling good than about losing weight.

I'm fortunate, once something becomes a habit for me I'm pretty well set. (of course this can also work against me :rofl: )

Fran

Former desparate mom
Thanks Lisa, I did do 50 min. on the treadmill.
Maybe I need to keep posting every day to push me.
I'm pretty good if I'm on a routine but unfortunately if my routine gets broken I have a tendency to take a detour.

I will walk every day, I will walk every day, I will walk everyday.

Nancy

I was just thinking about this myself Fran. I've lost focus this week also. I was doing so well but I upped my speed on the treadmill and after the second day my hips were hurting so much that I was afraid I did damage since I have bone loss in my hips. So I couldn't excercise for three days until I was pain free. So last evening I started back up again but couldn't do a full workout and now I feel so guilty. I also ate a piece of pie two nights ago and a couple cookies yesterday. I know that doesn't sound like much but it starts a pattern that I'm not happy with.

I'm making a promise that come Monday I'll get back on the full routine, excercie and diet. I may have to adjust the running so maybe I'll find a subsitute to put in place and just walk fast for a longer time.

I hope you get back on your routine also. Let's post Tuesday about our progress.

Nancy

Fran

Former desparate mom
I'm glad I'm not the only one.
Monday is a good day to start. I'm trying to keep some self control until Monday.

Nancy, I have hip joint discomfort but that was before exercise. I'm not sure what it is but I'm working through it.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I was really frustrated today when I stepped on the scale and had gained a pound-I'd been trying hard this week and worked out 4 days so far (going again this afternoon) and had even added in weights. Of course, eating dinner out 4 days didn't help.

I keep asking myself where I would be if I wasn't working out/eating healthy. Also I think it's important to give yourself a break. A few years back I used to exercise 6-7 days a week. I realized I needed to cut back to only 5 days a week-it was even better for me.

saving grace

I look at myself naked in the mirror LOL or I think about how many compliments I have gotten on my weight loss. I have been slipping the past few weeks but I do go to my WW meeting every week, I enjoy the meetings, I enjoy the people. It is really really hard to stick to a plan of excersing and eating well, allow yourself to be lazy here and there as long as you dont stop completely you will be fine.

Grace

Sue C

I have been back at Curves for a month now .... 3 times/week. For me, I've made it an "appointment" that I have to be to at a set time on those 3 mornings/week. That definitely helps.

What I need help on is the eating part. I cut out chocolate and desserts and eating after dinner and only eat one piece of bread for my sandwiches, but instead of losing weight, my scale shows I've gained 2 lbs, even with the exercise. I don't understand. (I did slip up and have dessert a few times over the past month.) My friend says I have to eat less, but I'm not a big eater in the first place. I haven't been drinking water. Perhaps that's contributing to the problem???

Sue

Wiped Out

Staff member
Sue,
Water is huge-it makes a big difference for me! I don't allow myself anything else to drink except water until I've had at least 48 ounces in a day-that wouldn't work for everyone but it does for me. When I joined weight watchers 11 years ago I never and I mean never drank water-now it is a mainstay for me.

Sue C

Sharon -- Does the water help you lose weight....or is it that the water helps fill you up and you don't eat as much??

Thanks,
Sue

Marguerite

Drinking lots of water helps me, too. I know some people say you shouldn't drink iced water - I figure that if God put mountain streams fed by meltwater there for us to drink out of, he would have given us bodies that could handle it.

We have an Aussie doctor/diet expert who has developed a diet (it compares with the best for lack of kookiness) which is balanced, healthy, not too many carbs or overload of protein, but one thing he says to aim for - try to eat at least 15 (or was it 25) different plant products in a day.
For example, if you want to make "omelette aux fines herbes" you don't have to use the traditional "fines herbes" of provincial France, you can add your own (within reason). I'll grab parsley, garlic chives, ordinary onion chives, a couple of tarragon leaves, maybe a leaf or two of two different kinds of basil and a pinch of oregano. I'll then make an omelette with two eggs (using a bit of olive oil or sesame oil with a dab of butter), scatter over some grated cheese and then the fresh herbs, chopped finely. That's 9 different plant products in one meal (counting two plant products in the olive oil and sesame oil), and a fair bit of healthy outdoor exercise harvesting my fresh herbs (and chopping them). You feel more virtuous and healthy, I think that's how it works. I do find this concept motivates me to stay on the straight and narrow.

Simply trying to find ways to include plant products makes you have variety in your diet, as well as keeps you more active in preparing it. It becomes an adventure instead of a chore.

Even nicer, as the weather warms up - eat your omelette out in the garden, with your glass of water. Or a fruit smoothie, made from frozen fresh fruit such as strawberries, mango, banana and a few raspberries. That's another four plant products. And if all the fruit is frozen, you'll need a spoon, not a straw.

Marg

Abbey

Spork Queen
Fran...you are my idol. You actually exercise??? :smile:

I'll tell you my secret. I've lost 14 pounds now in the last 10 days from being sick. Not the easiest way, but I cannot even think about eating. :frown:

Abbey