Need opinions on long term treatment

Steely

As you guys know my difficult child is in the psychiatric hospital....it has been a harrowing 5 days, only to have the psychiatrist say residential treatment would be best for him, and might be the only thing that causes him to change. I have many moral, financial, and logical reasons for not wanting to place him in Residential Treatment Center (RTC).....but I do have a million reasons for him to be in a long term therapeutic day treatment program. The problem is, I do not know of any program that offers this - so I am hoping to enlist the help of you guys. I am willing to relocate, so please start tossing ideas and opinions my way. I know that we cannot post exact names of facilities on this sight, so if you have the name of someone, please PM me the exact info.

thanks for your help -

DammitJanet

I am not sure why you dont want him to go into a Residential Treatment Center (RTC) but there is a parent who managed to get her son placed into a Residential Treatment Center (RTC) in texas on this board. Actually I guess we have two of them now. One is Loris and the other is Missmel. I will contact Mel and have her PM you about where her son went.

I really cant remember the name of the place her son was at but I think it was near San Antonio and was through the dept of mental health and not juvy but I could be wrong.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Let's just say that sometimes long term Residential Treatment Center (RTC) treatment works - other times it doesn't. The reality is that a difficult child must have some degree of investment in the program. If a difficult child is unstable, it's a tough sell.

Having said that, wm has been in long term Residential Treatment Center (RTC) placement twice - kt was just discharged after a 10 month stay. So far I see measurable improvement in kt. wm was discharged to a long term group home - we're seeing baby steps with him. It's a slow go.

I have no suggestions of RTCs for your difficult children age. I cannot even remember what website is recommended here for that information.

Good luck with whatever decision you go with.

slsh

member since 1999
Amber,

What exactly do you mean by a day treatment program? I ask because in my experience it's a catch all term. I think it's far more important to define what kind of programming you want for your kiddo than to just go by what is in my humble opinion a generic term of "day treatment". What do you expect from the program? From your son? What happens if your son is noncompliant or rages during "day treatment"? When you figure out *exactly* what kinds of services you are hoping for, then I think the best place to start would be with- psychiatrist (actually, I had far more success with- social workers involved with- thank you's inpatient stays in terms of resources, programming, possible programs) in terms of what programs are available in your area. And since you've already run into the joy of having a kid at the age where he has to consent... what happens if he doesn't?

I think strugglingteens.com is the site Linda was referencing. Lists of schools and RTCs.

I have a lot of thoughts rumbling around in my head, but I also have a huge bias at this point in time. thank you has been in Residential Treatment Center (RTC) almost 7 years. I still remember how absolutely traumatized we were the first time Residential Treatment Center (RTC) was suggested and how it took another very long year of multiple admissions, multiple school placements, multiple medication changes, and even more incredibly violent outbursts before I followed through on the suggestion. It's never an easy choice and there are a lot of things that factor into the decision - placement options, funding, the age of the kiddo, what you have and haven't tried at home, safety. It's very individual and people have different tolerances.

Again... I think you're going to have the best chance of success at finding a program if you can really define what exactly you're looking for and then start researching choices.

Edited to add: I understand the psychiatrist saying Residential Treatment Center (RTC) might be the only thing that will force difficult child to change. Or I should say, I've heard that before. You know your kid best. How big is his checkbook? We were told that thank you would change when it became too expensive (emotionally and/or in quality of life) to stay the way he was. We were told that in 1999. It made *perfect* sense at the time. What none of us realized is that thank you's capacity for enduring a lousy quality of life knows no bounds. There are some kids, not all, who are unable/unwilling to make the necessary changes to live in an unlocked community. In spite of all the therapy and support and medication tweaking and endless opportunities to make better choices, they simply can't/won't. I'm not saying this to discourage you at all, but I think there can be the idea that Residential Treatment Center (RTC) will be a "cure". It isn't always.

Or as Rita, an old timer who walked through fire and then some with her difficult child, told me many years ago (paraphrasing): Remember, when difficult child comes home from Residential Treatment Center (RTC), he's *still* going to be a difficult child but hopefully one who can use the tools he's learned more effectively than when he left.