Need prayers for a neighbor

tiredmommy

There's a mom and daughter at the end of our street. The mom can't be any more than 30 years old and the little girl is in 1st grade.

The mom has been battling cancer for some time now and is now under the care of hospice; she not expected to survive more than the next few months. The girl's father is involved and grandma is there looking after her daughter and grand daughter.

It's just so sad. Please pray and send good thoughts their way... they really need it. :crying:

buddy

my nieces friend at school is going through the same thing, the hospice is next to her school and the teachers take the friend to the hospice every day at recess. It is just so sad. My dear friend just died leaving two middle school kiddos, it is really hard. I hope they have plenty of support and her passing is peaceful. i will pray for your neighbor.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Oh my, sending warm gentle thoughts to the family. I hope the mom goes in peace and the little girl is wrapped in love by her remaining family. My heart breaks to hear these kinds of things (that I know happen all over).

Andy

Poor girl! :(

We have a 6th grade girl in church whose mom has been battling cancer since she was a baby. Then, a few years ago, her dad died of a very fast battle with cancer. Now her mom is in hospice and she is living with a guardian. Her grandma who was also a support link to her passed away this last year. I think another sad part is that the guardian family does not belong to our church so the girl very seldom gets to attend church and Sunday School where there is a strong support group that she has had growing up and especially going through her dad's cancer.

This girl has grown up with the terminology of cancer. Her parents have always been very open with her about what was happening. Such a weight to carry at such a young age.

keista

My thoughts and prayers out to your neighbors and especially that little girl. My own mother lost her battle with cancer just as I started the 1st grade. I hope Dad and grandma are a great support system for the wee one.

tiredmommy

She passed away this morning, Duckie found out this morning from my neighbor's daughter while riding to school. There's a group of 4 or 5 5th grade girls on the bus that want to do something for the little girl.... any ideas? They were thinking gifts for Christmas since the family is (of course) financially strapped. Thoughts?

Mattsmom277

How tragically sad :(

As for gifts, it might be that given the sad circumstances the family may be bombarded with people or groups thinking the same about giving toys etc for Christmas. I'm sure a few more would be much appreciated, yet what about something a bit personal? I was thinking a mini tree with lights from the dollar store ( well at least I know ours have them for $2 and lights are $1). Instead of toys, how about special angel decorations! (guardian angel ones are found many places this time of year and the girl has a history in church so angels would be appropriate). The mini trees aren't large so even a few Angela would make it very pretty. And the tree could even be on a bedside table with the angels keeping watch. Most girls at that age would likely enjoy their own special collection of ornaments.

I'll be saying prayers for this family and particularly that little girl. Sometimes life feels so unfair

shellyd67

Oh my gosh, this is so sad ... That poor, poor baby ... My prayers are with this family ... Maybe bake some cookies and send them over ...

Star*

call 911........call 911
TM,

You certainly don't have to look far to realize that our problems are not so big in the scheme of things. I'm so very sorry for the hurt this little girl must be having to go through -and not to be cliche-but at this time of year I think it makes it doubly hard to understand.

That being said? I would do a little research (Mother to her Father) and have some information ready for after the holidays on where to go to help deal with grief as a child. Doesn't have to be spelled out - just maybe some suggestions of reading, counselors, pastoral counseling, an invite to your church or grievance groups - and hand it to the Father and leave it at that. Maybe some articles you know to be good about dealing with grief and children that are excellent excerpts - short and to the point. He may/may not appreciate it being that he will be dealing with so much this may be something that gets overlooked as she (little girl) may try to be BRAVE for her Dad. You can word a note that says you have had personal experience so nothing was meant personally - just that you understand how difficult it is and thought it would help.

Another thing that may help would be to let the Father know - you and Duckie would be open to "sit" or have "play dates" if he ever needs them. That could be more of a comfort to him at this time to know there is someone else in their corner than anything. An extra loving hand or set of eyes to help. Just down the street if he needs.

As far as a memorial or gift? I have ALWAYS enjoyed planting trees for the birth of babies, and birthdays - and even memorials. To me it says "LIFE GOES ON". I think a tree wouldn't be too much of an expense if everyone pitched in. If it was planted in their front yard? The little girl could watch it grow year after years and it could bring her some comfort. A gift certificate and memorial service in the Spring with a dedicaiton would be lovely.

Again - SO SO sending prayers and hugs for your neighborhood.

The only other thing that comes to mind if someone wanted to have something done NOW? Is name a star after her - so she could always have her mother looking down on her from above. Have no idea what it costs...but I'm sure a clever TM could come up with a certificate and pick a star out of the cosmos. (nearly free) - Many thousands to choose from and you can find one available easily with a home made certificate.

HUGS

tiredmommy

Well... Duckie and neighbor's daughter E decided they wanted to give her something to hug so I suggested a Build-A-Bear with all the bells and whistles. Neighbor took the girls this evening and they will bring it to M at the family's convenience. We will also look into having a star named after the mom.

Thanks everyone.

buddy

the star is a lovely idea. We planted an adoption tree when Q's adoption was finalized. when we had to sell the house he was really upset. I drove by and they chopped it down. If you plant a tree find a public place where they can visit it.

I LOVE the build a bear idea. Really good to have something to cuddle and bury your face into. Such kind kids to think of her and want to support her like that.

Star*

call 911........call 911
That DUckie......Her heart is 10 sizes too big!!!!!! What an excellent suggestion TM. With all the bells and whistles!!!! Just lovely!