Need quick dog advice!

mstang67chic

Going Green
Chester, the hog, grabbed a pork chop bone from me just a little bit ago. It was a small one...oval, about as big around as my thumb but not as long. BUT...he Swallowed. It. Whole.

Should I do anything? Wait and see if he horks it back up....wait to see if it makes him ill? This dog is NUTS!

klmno

Well, there are 2 concerns. One is the pork. I wouldn't worry too much about that unless you see him throw up or act ill- if that happens I would rush him to the vet. The other concern is the bone- are you sure it went all the way to the stomach? Obviously it isn't blocking his airway but you might want to see if he can move around normally and acts like his normal self. The vet told me that feeding a dog boiled (yes boiled, not broiled) chicken or ground beef with a lot more rice than meat was a good way to help a dog digest things so you could try that. I wouldn't worry about him, though, unless he starts acting ill or in pain. It might not hurt to check his stool the next time he goes and make sure it's not bloody.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Dogs eat bones that size all the time, even foxes no bigger than Chester. Odds are very good that it will just pass through him.

If you see him not eating or vomiting, take him to the vet and take it from there.

by the way, Pork is NOT dangerous in anyway to dogs. It is a healthy and very palatable meat.

Even larger pork bones are safe so long as they are raw. NO cooked bones of ANY kind should ever be fed to dogs--cooked bones are the ones that splinter.

mstang67chic

Going Green
He's currently crashed out on husband's lap but that's a normal thing when husband is home. I'll keep an eye on him and try to watch when he's outside also. Thanks!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Well, it's likely to pass through without any complications really. My dogs eat raw bones all the time.

If you are concerned, a natural way to make fido poop it out a little sooner than normal would be to give him a nice helping of pumpkin pak. That's right, open up a can of pumpking (without the spice) and feed him a few tablespoons. It helps move things along when the dogs are stopped up and, ironically, helps plug them up when they have diarrhea. Anyway, it works.

But it's most likely your dog will just poop it out in the morning.

Last edited:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
You just want to get the plain, solid pak pumpkin. It's nothing more than the pulp of the cooked vegetable and its juices.

You stll get it in the bakery aisle along with the other pie fillings, so you do want to check labels.

The fiber in the pumpkin attracts other stuff in the bowel as well as liquids.\

In fact, pumpkin is often used for either diahrrea or constipations--sort of the same idea as using fiber supplements in humans for irritable bowel where both symptoms can occur

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Well, even if you don't find the bone, don't worry so long as Chester is eating/acting/pooping normally.

Dogs can actually digest small bits of bone easily. Their stomach acids are much stronger than ours are.

In fact, when my dog crunches down a raw bone, he will pass a stool or two that turns a chalky white as it dries. It IS basically chalk--indigestible minerals left after the slightest bit of nutrients have been digested out of the bones.

These guys are made to be carnivores and have the digestive tracts to prove it.

donna723

Well, see, I learned something there! Not one of those things I usually give a whole lot of thought to but I have occasionally wondered why you sometimes see little white doggie 'nuggets'! Now I know! :D That may come up in a Trivia game sometime!

But I wouldn't worry about it either unless he shows signs of a blockage in a few days, then I'd head right for the vet. But if he got it down, he can probably also get what's let of it out the other end!

Lothlorien

Funny you say that, GN...I just cooked up some ground chicken for my furbaby and added pumkin to it. She's on such a bland diet, I wanted to add some nutrients to her food. husband thought it was weird, but I said...it's a vegetable and it has extra nutrients in it that she's not getting from plain meat, it can't hurt! Little did I know that it's actually REALLY good for her. Thanks.

donna723

Pumpkin is usually used to firm up their poops if they're having a problem in that department. But like GN said, just the plain canned pumpkin, NOT the pie filling. It adds a lot of fiber. I give mine a little rice every day too which also helps.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Well, bone is actually minerals deposited around a matrix of collagen, which is a protein. Dogs can actually digest the collagen right out of bones, so you get back the excess magnesium and phosporous, etc.

Raw chicken is fine for dogs so long as you handle it according to the salmonella rules--not for the dogs, but for us humans. But, chicken and pumpkin alone are not a complete ration.

witzend

Usually Bubba would vomit something like that up. You should definitely watch him to be sure that it doesn't obstruct his bowel.

mstang67chic

Going Green
He's been out a couple of times tonight but I didn't go with him because it was dark and I doubt he's had enough time to get it that far. I'll go out with him in the morning and check things out.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Pumpkin does work on kitties as well if you can get them to eat it. You would probably want to give no more than a tsp or so, though.

Dogs are able to handle a lot more in terms of vegetable foods. Cats are obligate carnivores, so you want to be a bit more careful with them. Back before the special foods, we used to feed a bit of pumpkin to help cats with hairball problems move the hair on through.

Interesting cat fact: Cats are not only unable to digest nearly all grains, but they lack the ability to metabolize sucrose and fructose. In fact, they can't even TASTE sweetness at all. They don't have the taste receptors.

DammitJanet

My dog obviously can taste sweets. He loves candy...all candy! Most especially chocolate candy! If it would kill him, he would be long gone.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Dogs do have a 'sweet tooth'. Gryphon loves ice cream. Jake, my cat, loves it as well, but he also loves milk and yoghurt. He's going after the dairy part of things, not after the sweet part of things.

Lothlorien

GN...pumpkin and chicken not a complete ration....I know, but with her being sick, she's barely eating anything, so if she eats chicken and pumpkin I'm ecstatic!!

I noticed a puke stain under the table in the living room this morning. Not sure when it's from, because it's dry (kids toys were in front of the table too).

Stang, how is Chester, today?