Need recipes for liquid meals

mstang67chic

Going Green
Does anyone have any good recipes for meals that can be eaten thru a straw? My friend's son had 2 plates put in his jaw and although they didn't completely wire his mouth shut, he does have some sort of :censored2: band system. He can only open his mouth a little and can't chew. I thought I would see what kind of recipes I could find for him because I'm sure protein shakes will get old pretty quick when that's all he eats.

witzend

I thought about this and figured that it would be a good idea to google it and see what is out there. This lady said she put most everything in a blender for herself, and this is what she remembers liking. She used milk or veggie broth to help make it smooth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a few things I remember eating (all pureed completely to fit through the feeding tube):

-broccoli, cauliflower, cheese puree
-banana, peanut butter, ice cream shake
-carrot, parsley juice (really tasty)
-V8, fruit juices, veggie juices of all types
-tomato soup with chili seasoning, mexican seasoning, or italian seasoning
-potato/cheese soup
-taco soup (tomato soup with pureed grn pepper, onion, cilantro, taco seasonings)
-puddings
-applesauce with apple pie spices
-thin mashed potatoes with cream cheese and parmesan
-sweet potatoes with maple syrup, brown sugar, vanilla
-macaroni and cheese
-Ensure or similar nutrition drinks in a can </div></div>

One lady said her brother wanted pizza in the worst way and they put it in the blender and he liked it. (You have to assume this was a kid!)

SRL

Below are two favorites from my house. Of course you'd want to do strained broth for the chicken soup.

Boiled Chicken

1 - 3 to 4 lb. Whole chicken, cut up
4 carrots, sliced
2 celery stalks with some leaves, cut into pieces
onion, recipe calls for 1-1/2 onions but I use about 2 Tablespoons, chopped
2 teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ to 1 teaspoon sweet basil (I use 1 tsp)

Place all ingredients in a large kettle and cover with water. Cover the kettle and cook on low until meat and veggies are tender. Remove chicken to platter and cool to a temperature it can be handled. Remove skin and debone. Cut meat into small chunks and refrigerate covered. Pour the broth and veggies through a colander to separate. Cover the broth and the veggies separately and refrigerate everything overnight.

The next day the fat will be solidified and can be easily skimmed and removed from the top of the broth.

For chicken soup: Cook desired amount of rice or noodles in water. Heat broth and then add in chicken, cut up veggies and rice or noodles.

For Creamed Chicken & Biscuits:

¾ cup butter
¾ cup flour
2 tsp salt (I use less)
¼ tsp black pepper

Melt butter in saucepan. Combine dry ingredients and stir into butter gradually, stirring constantly with a wire whip. Cook on low until smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat.

Stir in 2 cups chicken broth and 2 cups milk into the mixture. Return to the heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute while continuing to stir. Add in chicken meat (and veggies if desired) and serve over baking powder biscuits.

For Chicken & Dumplings:

If you like a thicker broth with this dish, you can heat it up first then thicken it a little with a cornstarch/water mixture, stirring while you add it to the broth and continually while you bring it to a boil. Then mix 3 cups Bisquick with 1 cup milk and drop it onto the broth. Cook uncovered on low heat for ten minutes. Cover and cook on low for another 10 minutes.

Fruit Slush

6 cups boiling water
3 cups sugar (more or less to taste)
1 – 12 ounce can frozen lemonade concentrate
1 – 12 ounce can frozen pineapple juice concentrate
1 – 12 ounce can frozen orange juice concentrate
2 - 16 ounces frozen strawberries (may substitute fresh)
4 bananas

Dissolve sugar in boiling water. Puree bananas and strawberries in a blender or food processor (add a little water if needed). Combine sugar water, fruit and concentrates together in large container. Pour in to quart containers and freeze. Take out 30 minutes before serving and mash slush (may need to cut with a knife first). Add ginger ale or lemon-lime soda to desired consistency. Serve with a spoon and a straw.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
My niece was accidently hit in the jaw with a baseball bat when she was a kid and it (obviously) broke her jaw. My brother pureed whatever they had for dinner that night...so she had pureed hamburgers (including the mayo, mustard, and catsup), french fries, roast beef, etc. He said it worked well overall.

Suz

Lothlorien

I like to make yogurt shakes a lot.

Vanilla yogurt (can buy them in giant tubs).
any combo of the following

Strawberries, bananas, blueberries, raspberries...etc.

If you freeze the fruit first, you can have a great frozen dessert.

rejectedmom

Mustangchic, I had my jaw splinted for three months and had to take my meals through a straw also. Eventuallly I just took the family meal and put it in the blender and drank what everyone else was eating. It tasted way better than baby food and was much more nutricious. -RM

Marguerite

The fruit slush looked a bit like one of our favourites, only I think ours is healthier. It would taste just as good, if not better.

We use frozen fruit if possible. Frozen banana, frozen mango, frozen passionfruit (but you'd need to strain out the seeds), frozen pineapple (also need to strain - it can be a bit fibrous) and frozen berries. Raspberries go a very long way and make it VERY red, with just a few. You put whatever fruit you want, but try to include at least one banana, into the blender. If you want it completely frozen, add nothing else. And be prepared for an ice cream headache/brain freeze!
Or, you can use 50/50 juice and water (about half a cup total for one person) with equal volume fruit. THAT is drinkable through a straw without waiting for it to half-melt.
We had the frozen fruit version at a country farmer's market in tropical Queensland. It cost a bomb and tasted marvellous. You don't need to add any sugar if you've got a ripe banana in it.
The liquid version, I was having it for breakfast every day for several years.
If you want a party atmosphere, add a paper umbrella.

Or there's the milk version - very naughty in taste, actually quite healthy.
one raw egg, a cup of milk, a banana if you want, then drinking chocolate with optional malted milk powder. Blend the lot, enjoy. Very rich, very filling. Loaded with protein, fibre and potassium (those two from the banana) and a few vital amino acids. Vitamin A from the egg.

Or a healthier version - leave out the chocolate and malt, use the banana for sure, sweeten with a bit of honey if you want. Add a dash of vanilla essence for a richer flavour.

The thing with those, you can make some for everybody so he doesn't feel like he's on some 'stupid special diet'.

Marg

mstang67chic

Going Green
Thanks for all of the links and recipes. Those sound so good I may try some myself! lol I'll be printing these all out this weekend and pass them along to my friend.

dreamer

when I worked in nursing home, we had many people who could not chew. We put the regular meals into the blender and made them pureed and people liked them. I did this for my husband when he had all his teeth removed and several bone fragments removed. My f also did it when she was in a car accident and went face first thru windshield...........
yes, even pizza, even McDs, you name it, we pureed it. I even pureed BBQ back ribs, (first pulled off bone) for my husband.

'Chelle

You can puree pretty much anything you regularly eat for a meal. As long as it tastes good on the plate, it tastes the same when pureed, you just don't have to chew it yourself. The thing that gets people is texture. You're used to putting whole foods in your mouth to chew, so the thought of a mushy liquidy steak is not quite right. Your taste buds don't know the difference.

Sara PA

I agreed that many things taste just fine when pureed. I was shocked at how good many meats tasted. When my aunt was in the hospital, I snuck a taste of everything they sent her. It really wasn't anywhere near as bad as I expected. I'd use broth to thin thing out.

I use to make her custard, any kind of custard that I thought she might eat. She loved pumpkin custard, so I made that a lot. But I also made cheese custard (crustless quiche), plain egg custard (or flan) and key lime custard. Almost anything -- either sweeet or savory -- can be made into a custard though some things will have to be pureed. Hmmm, I had forgotten about that key lime custard. I have to make that again...