Need some emergency dog help, please!

GuideMe

Quick story.

She chewed a plastic toy , that has red and yellow coloring to pieces. She started vomiting yellow and red, but to me it looks like blood and stomach acid. This was an hour and a half ago. She has thrown up several times now. I don't know what to do. The emergency vet visit is going to cost around $500.00.

One twist is that she threw up two days ago, so it might not have anything to do with the plastic toy that she chewed up tonight.

Please, please, please help. If I have to take her to emergency I will.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Oh sweetie that's scary. Did she ingest the whole toy and how big was it? Is she choking or just vomiting? Can you get her to take any water?

GuideMe

No she seems ok and normal. But I am most likely going to have to take her to the vet. So much money that I don't have...

Tanya M

Staff member
I guess all you can do is keep an eye on her. I would call the vet first before taking her in, they might be able to ask questions to determine if you need to take her in.
((HUGS))

GuideMe

Thank you Tanya. Of course of all the things she could chew and eat, it had to be the color red. There is no way for me to tell if it's the red from the toy she is throwing up or it's actually blood. Of all the luck the toy had to be red and yellow.

Tanya M

Staff member
it's probably just the toy. I remember when my son was 6 mo old and got the flu. The Dr. told me to give him jello in his bottle to help keep him hydrated. Why did I pick cherry!! I thought he was pooping blood, freaked me out.

If your dog is acting normal she's probably ok. I would try to get her to drink some water.

GuideMe

I also i have to keep in mind she threw up (no blood) and had a bit of diarrhea two days ago. Just thought she had an upset stomach. So it might have nothing to do with the toy and she could be having serious issues.

Here is the problem right now. I am deliriously tired. If I drive feeling this tired, I could get into a wreck. On the other hand, my dog could be in serious condition. I have no one else to help me.

Tanya M

Staff member
All you can do is keep an eye on her. You don't need to put you both at risk by driving when you are tired. Hang in there!!

GuideMe

I'm trying. I tried calling my brother for help. What the hell was I thinking? He hung up on me. No one understands that because of my illness, when I am tired, I am not functional. He always ask everyone for help and he gets it with the snap of his fingers. I ask for help, it's goddamn ghost town and I get hung up on. I'm tired of being treated this way. Anyway, that's not the issue right now. If she throws up one more time, I am going to have to go or I will never be able to live with myself. Maybe I can drop her off and tell them to take care of her for the night. I never thought of that. I'm going to call and ask now.

Lil

I'm sorry I didn't see the thread earlier. Is she drinking water, keeping it down? If she's capable of doing that I think you could safely let her wait until tomorrow. I hope it's alright and I'll keep you and your pup in my thoughts.

tishthedish

I just woke up and saw this. When our collie puppy ate all the glass Christmas ornaments off our tree the vet said to give him mineral oil. It help him to pass the remnants. It would be a measure to take that would be innocuous if another action is called for once you reach your doctor. Good luck.

BusynMember

Let us know how your pup is, after the vet. Dogs!!! I swear they are sometimes like little kids! And we love them so much too.

donna723

I'm just now seeing this thread so you may have already seen a vet. Is she eating and drinking normally? If she's having any problems, you should take her to the vet for an x-ray. Are the pieces of the toy that are left jagged? A little late for this now but if mine ever swallowed something small and irregular shaped or jagged, I've immediately fed them bread to cushion the object and help it move along. The main thing to worry about is if pieces of the toy create an intestinal blockage which is an emergency situation and requires immediate vet care, probably surgery. And it may not happen right away. Foreign objects can sometimes stay in a dogs stomach for a very long time before causing a problem. I know a lady whose dog chewed off a corner of her living room rug. But she has several dogs and didn't know which one did it and wasn't sure if the missing piece had been swallowed. SIX MONTHS LATER one of her dogs started vomiting and up came the missing piece of carpet!

GuideMe

Thanks everybody, she seems a lot better today. I didn't take her to vet but would have it her symptoms persisted or got worse. Thank God she seems better. She has been drinking and eating. I fed her chicken and rice, bland diet and she ate it like she hasn't eaten in days. That was around 12:30 and she hasn't thrown any of it up and it's almost 4:00 pm. That's a good sign right? I also gave her a bath because she had vomit all over her and stunk really bad. So she is all fed and nice and clean. I am just praying she is not in any pain , but she is acting totally normal so I am assuming she is not.

BusynMember

Glad she is doing better. I know how it is. I worry a lot about my furbabies. If they are sick, I stay up with them, just like I would a kid.