Need some encouragement (another weight loss post)

Californiablonde

So I have been back on Weight Watchers for two weeks and I have been exercising religiously after work. I am quite discouraged because I am finally on track, not cheating at all, logging in all my points and calories on Myfitnesspal and the WW website, but not losing. Every few days I will lose a p0und but then I gain it right back the very next day. Right now I am averaging between 1100 and 1200 calories a day, and staying within my allotted WW points. I am power walking 5 days a week plus taking green tea to try and help speed up my metabolism. So what gives?

I weigh the exact same as I started out at two weeks ago. And yes, I weigh myself without clothes first thing in the morning before I've had anything to eat. No, I do not eat salt and I buy low sodium veggies and chicken broth. No, I am not losing inches either, because my jeans still feel just as tight. I am also not gaining muscle, because I am not working out with weights.

I feel like since I hit 40, I am going to be stuck and this dreaded weight (168 pounds) forever. I don't want to give up, though. I miss being able to walk up a flight of stairs without getting short of breath. I miss looking thin and feeling really good about myself. I miss the compliments from friends and even random strangers telling me how pretty I am. I miss the old me. Am I ever gonna get back to my old self again?

Lil

Right now I am averaging between 1100 and 1200 calories a day, and staying within my allotted WW points.

That actually sounds kind of low to me...but then I've always been on the high side of the point system. The more you weigh, the more points you get. Are you getting in all your water?

Okay...the only thing I can really think of is to try the Wendie plan...I don't know if it can be done with the current WW program, but google it. It basically has you alternating high point and low point days to shake up your metabolism.

Californiablonde

I will look into the Wendie plan Lil thank you. I forgot to add it doesn't help that my boyfriend, whom I've been with for three years, hasn't kissed me, hugged me, or told me he loves me in two years. What's worse is he is back to being friends with his ex girlfriend on Facebook. The only reason why I know they are back in contact is because I am also Facebook friends with her. He comments on and likes her posts all the time. On Christmas she posted a picture of herself in a Santa hat and he commented and told her she's beautiful. He has never ever once complimented me on any of my pictures. Never. My mom says it's cause I'm not photogenic and he probably doesn't want to lie and tell me I look good when I don't. What a nice self esteem booster!

Lil

Aw Hun, that's just so wrong! But do this for YOU, not for him! Any man worth the title doesn't treat his girlfriend that way. (Truthfully, if you haven't hugged or kissed in two years, I'm not sure the term "boyfriend" actually applies anymore.) But you certainly deserve better.

Californiablonde

I am doing this for myself, mostly, but I would be lying if I didn't say I wasn't partly doing it for my boyfriend as well. His ex is super skinny and I'm jealous. And he didn't start ignoring me till I suddenly packed on 45 pounds two years ago. I am assuming he's no longer interested due to my weight, but I could be wrong. Either way, he has no room to talk, I need to lose 45 pounds and he needs to lose at LEAST a good 75 pounds.

The only difference between the two of us is when we first started dating I was skinny and he was already super overweight. But his looks didn't attract me. His sense of humor and personality won me over. Obviously looks are much more important to HIM than they are to me. Anyway, I am definitely doing this mainly for myself. I am just sick of getting super short of breath walking up one flight of stairs to my apartment and feeling like I'm going to pass out after just five minutes of walking.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
My mom says it's cause I'm not photogenic and he probably doesn't want to lie and tell me I look good when I don't. What a nice self esteem booster!
That is so not nice. I have never seen you but I do know you have a beautiful heart and that is far more important than what one looks like on the outside.
Your boyfriend does not deserve you.
As for the weight loss don't be too discouraged. If you are building up muscle that will explain why the numbers are not going down as fast as you would like. Do you notice if your clothes fit a little looser?
Hang in there.

Californiablonde

Thank you for your kind words, Tanya. To answer your question, my clothes aren't any looser. My size 14 jeans are still tight. Sigh...

Tanya M

Staff member
Hang in there, it takes time. The weight we put on doesn't happen overnight. I was once told it takes 3 times as long to lose the weight as it does to put it on. Stick with it and don't give up.

dstc_99

I'd say the first thing you should do is drop the dead weight. IE: your boyfriend. Right after that I would drop a note to your mom and let her know she is being an absolute witch.

I think with that done you would feel much lighter in less than a day! Of course I am evil so I wouldn't listen to anything I just said.

Californiablonde

It took me two years to gain this weight so yikes if it takes me six years to lose it! I just need to lose 45 pounds and my good friend just lost 140 pounds in less than a year!

Tanya M

Staff member
While I was told that about weight taking 3 times as long to lose as gaining it, I don't completely buy into it.
I think what is important to remember is that weight gain doesn't happen overnight therefore weight loss won't happen overnight.
I work with some women that are all doing slimfast and have been doing it for the past 3 months. Not one of them has lost any weight. The are all mid 50's. You can't starve yourself thin.
Another co-worker went on the Medifast diet and she lost 50 pounds in about 6 months. When she went off the diet and resumed her "old" eating habits she put that 50 plus another 10 back on in about 4 months.
I wish there was a quick fix that would have lasting results but the only way for permanent weight loss is through sensible eating and exercise, it's a lifestyle not a diet.
For me I avoid bad carbs, all white sugar and white flour. Doesn't mean I don't occasionally idulge but I really try to eat "clean". I do notice when I eat something with sugar in it I will have a terrible headache hours later, but I sure do enjoy it while I'm eating it!!

Lil

I work with some women that are all doing slimfast and have been doing it for the past 3 months. Not one of them has lost any weight. The are all mid 50's. You can't starve yourself thin.

I did slimfast in the early 1990's. I gained...because to me, slimfast is a beverage. If you drink it, it's not a meal. lol

But most reputable programs say 1 lb a week is a safe and reasonable goal. If you average 1 lb a week, that's 52 lbs a year. But the problem isn't really losing it, it's keeping it off. I lost 100 lbs. I regained 80 lbs. :( I take some solace in the fact that I didn't gain 110.

Back to the drawing board.

Californiablonde

I am also worried about gaining it back once I lose it. I don't know what the Weight Watcher's maintenance plan consists of. I hope it's something doable since I am looking for a complete lifestyle change.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Hey girl...

I have been on WW since September. I lost 4 lbs, gained 6, then since have lost 17. So I am down a net 15, from my starting point of 200.

I have been stuck at 185 for 3 weeks.

I really think the winter is a terrible time to lose weight, because your body's trying to hang onto it for energy!

Also, don't forget - if you are power walking - muscle is more dense than fat and therefore weighs more. So... How do your clothes fit? You might see a change there before your weight changes.

And if your boyfriend is being such a snot... Yeah, you deserve better. Drop THAT weight and I bet it will help.

AppleCori

I once lived with a man who never told me he loved me and didn't hug or kiss me. He is called my X-husband.

Now I live with a man that does all of these things and more--many times per day. He is called the love of my life.

Stop selling yourself short. Stop settling for less than you deserve.

If you can't say this guy is the love of your life (and he is clearly not) why are you with him?

There are many wonderful men out there who will love and cherish you just the way you are.

Last edited:

Lil

There are many wonderful men out there who will love and cherish you just the way you are.

Absolutely! If a man doesn't still love and desire you just as much chubby as he did skinny, then he is too shallow to stay with. Jabber has loved me from a size 18 (which actually looks pretty good on my 5'10" frame) to a size 26 and all the numbers in between. That's what you deserve!

cubsgirl

I need to lose 90 lbs. Ugh. It is going to take a while.

I understand your frustration with not seeing results. Keep at it, I bet it will suddenly "click" and weight will start coming off.

I've seen FB pics of you - you are adorable - kick the boyfriend to the curb.

Californiablonde

I am not at all giving up even though I am quite discouraged. I can't stand the way I feel anymore. At my age I shouldn't be tired walking up one flight of stairs or exhausted after only 5 minutes of exercise. I can't wait to get back to feeling healthy again. I know it took time to get this weight on so it will take time to take it off. I just gotta keep pushing through it.

InsaneCdn

Aim for fitness and health, in both activity and diet. Whether or not you get as slim as you want to, you will feel much better, inside and out.

And yes, even if you aren't doing weightlifting, you ARE building muscle. Just think about it: when you walk, you are carrying your own weight.