Need some encouragement (another weight loss post)

Jabberwockey

I forgot to add it doesn't help that my boyfriend, whom I've been with for three years, hasn't kissed me, hugged me, or told me he loves me in two years. What's worse is he is back to being friends with his ex girlfriend on Facebook.

First off let me say this, he's a douche bag. Get rid of him before you find out he's cheating on you. If the person you're with doesnt tell you they love you multiple times a day, THEY DONT!

Ok, just looked at the above statement and realized it sounds kind of harsh. Not meaning to be harsh or judgmental, just want you to look at your situation realistically.

As far as the weight loss goes, a few questions. How long are you walking for? You do build muscle by walking but slower than actual weight training. What does myfitnesspal say your caloric intake should be? Like Lil said, 1,100 to 1,200 calories seems kind of low. If you eat too little you're body interprets that as a lack of available food so goes into starvation mode where it will start converting muscle mass to fat for quick energy. NOT GOOD! Try shaking things up a bit. You can plateau with exercise just like with weight loss so shock your body a bit. I'm not going to suggest wind sprints if one flight of stairs winds you but maybe the power walk equivalent? Go at barely a power walk pace for one block then as fast as you can for as long as you can, then slow down again for another block to recover. If you have access to one, try an elliptical. Gives a hell of a workout.

Last edited:

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
4QVH9fU.jpg

Nomad

Staff member
California Blond, I re-read your post and I was in the exact same holding pattern and recently, knock on wood, things have changed for me and I'm, knock on wood, loosing again. I have low thyroid and I got on a little more medication. In addition, I changed GPs. To my surprise, she told me to eat 900 calories a day of truly healthy food. It sounds shocking, but the cold hard facts are that if 1200 calories doesn't work and your are exercising and your thyroid is working, you have to go lower. And, you might need to very slightly cut back on exercise...NOT stop though. And maybe try different types of exercises.

I'm using Myfitnesspal and tracking and when I get to goal weight, I'm going to track that too and I am willing to accept that my new maintenance number is not going to be all that high. I just think for me it is a weird combination of medications, menopause, being short....it doesn't really matter. I do know that I feel a LOT better since doing this, although it has taken tremendous discipline. With such a low calorie count, I can NOT eat any sweets and I promised the doctor I would eat lots of veggies, moderate amount of lean meats, no junk food, drink lots of water between meals etc. and doing this has paid off in weight loss, more energy and better health.

I've also taken an informal survey of my "skinny" friends and relatives and have discovered that they either don't use fake sugars or rarely use them. So, I am now only using 1/2 of a Truvia in my coffee and that is all the fake sugar I allow myself. Two half packets of fake sugar...a total of one packet max a day. Since I've done this....my weight loss has IMPROVED! (Knock on wood!) My gyno told me to do this years ago and I didn't do this! I thought it was stupid and too hard. Hmmm.

We had breakfast with some relatives today who have always been slender and have always been mum about how they do it. And they finally revealed they have to cut back to a little below 1000 calories (900?h when they have gained too much weight in order to lose, but also are very careful about eating healthy foods when doing so. So, I don't think this is a huge secret, especially for people over 40. It is what it is. Perhaps some people have slow metabolisms. I'm not sure. And this couple, have actually enjoyed really really good health over the years. They eat more normal/moderate portions the rest of the time, but if they gain, go back to eating very lightly and super healthy until they reach goal weight again and try not to ever stray too far.

Again, I was shocked when this new doctor (from Harvard) gave me such a low number, but in all honesty, I think she was the only one who had the you know what's to tell me the truth.

Last edited:

Californiablonde

Well guess what? I got on the scale yesterday and I suddenly dropped 4 pounds. It took that darn scale 3 weeks to budge but I finally did it. A not so well meaning facebook friend told me that it's just water weight therefore doesn't count and she hurt my feelings. I was really proud of myself and couldn't wait to post about my weight loss.

I am going to try and not let her mean comments bother me. I am determined to lose this weight and I am happy I lost something even if it's only water weight for now. I feel like I can really do this. I am addicted to the weight watcher's website and myfitnesspal. I make sure to log in every day and count my food intake as well as my exercise. I am serious this time. I am going to do this!

InsaneCdn

Yes you can.

Just remember... two steps forward and one step back STILL leaves you ahead of where you started. Don't sweat it if the scale goes up a pound or two... keep the trend up.

Californiablonde

If I lose even three more pounds I go from being medically obese to simply overweight. I can't. The fact that I'm considered obese does not at all sit well with me.

JKF

Congrats CB!! Way to go!! I've lost and regained and then lost again a decent amount of weight several times in my life. I'm finding that the absolute key to keeping weight off is to eat clean (no processed foods, lots of fresh fruits and veggies, lean protein, healthy carbs, etc), seriously limit salt, watch portion sizes and drink a LOT of water. Like you, I loathe traditional exercise but I find ways to sneak it in. I put on my favorite music and dance around my house like a lunatic, I march in place while doing dishes, I park in the farthest space from stores, take the stairs instead of elevators, etc. All of that little stuff adds up and really helps keep the weight off. Anyway, congrats again and keep up the great work!

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Well guess what? I got on the scale yesterday and I suddenly dropped 4 pounds
That awesome!! You go Girl.

A not so well meaning facebook friend told me that it's just water weight therefore doesn't count and she hurt my feelings. I was really proud of myself and couldn't wait to post about my weight loss
What does this person know anyway, are they a Dr.?
You should be very proud of yourself. You are doing great.

nlj

Note.

Not good for weightloss/fitness:

1. Sleepless nights (due to texts from son)
2. Leftover cookies in the bottom of the jar (not enough)
3. Tomorrow's missed yoga classes due to being too tired (see point 1)
4. Tea and cake (see point 2)
5. TV programmes about cooking on in the middle of the night for insomniacs (see point 1)

Jabberwockey

A not so well meaning facebook friend told me that it's just water weight therefore doesn't count and she hurt my feelings.

http://water.usgs.gov/edu/propertyyou.html This web site states that an adults body can be up to 60% water. One gallon of water weighs about eight and a third pounds. Water weight is weight. Personally, one of my problems is entirely too much sodium in my diet and not drinking enough water.

Congratulations!!!

Californiablonde

I stopped by the grocery store on my lunch break today and I saw that peaches and plums are now back on the shelves. I am so happy! I can have unlimited fruit on WW and peaches, plums, and mangoes are the only fruits I will eat. Now I can have nutritious snacks without sacrificing any points. I feel so much better now!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
My breakfast today was completely "pointless" - I had strawberries, blueberries and carrots (don't laugh). About 2.5 cups' worth. So yummy!

I have lost again, so now I am at 185 and feeling better!

Scent of Cedar *

I feel like since I hit 40, I am going to be stuck and this dreaded weight (168 pounds) forever. I don't want to give up, though.

You are just a young chic.

40 is a great age, watch and see. All the things that once defeated you melt away. You are early on in this process. It gets to be less about the pounds or specific inches that it does, as you touched on in your post, about strength and the kind of beauty to be found in being strong.

Wavering is fine, wanting to be where we are not yet is normal, you know all that. I am happy you could post about this journey into strength and health. Your tone is different now. I wonder if you know that. Your posts sound a touch more determined, a little less unsure, a little stronger.

I love watching you do this! It makes me really happy, though I don't even know you.

It is hard to change ourselves. We don't yet know who it is we are going to be.

It is a little more possible when you are not alone with it.

Sending you huge best wishes and congratulations for a job well done.

Starting is the hardest part.

Next to sticking with it, that is.

And you have done both.

Great job!

:likeit:

:hugs:

Californiablonde

Well this week is our vacation week so I've been doubling my exercise every day. I've been going on a 20 minute power walk in the morning then another 20 minute power walk in the evening before dinner. I was hoping I would lose a little extra weight this week but the scale hasn't budged. It's my time of the month so maybe that's the reason why I'm stalling. Anyway, I am not letting myself get discouraged and I am sticking with it. I think a four pound weight loss in three weeks is pretty good. Yesterday I took easy child to his psychiatrist appointment and I was tired and short of breath just walking up one flight of stairs. That shouldn't be happening at my age! So I am determined and moving forward.

pasajes4

Here is my 2 cents. Cali, you are under a great deal of stress with the kids, your mom, your @$$ of a boyfriend, and your job. Stress hormones increase tremendously. These hormones will make you gain weight or in your case hang on to the weight. In earlier times this was necessary because being under a great deal of stress meant that your life was in danger and it was time to flee in order to live. The body needed the retained fat stores to feed off of during a time when finding food might be difficult. Thanks early man. This is all your fault.