Need some opinions - Preggo Ques!

Marguerite

I had no intention of terminating difficult child 3, but I still had the amnio. I didn't want amnio because of the risks, but the doctor really gave me no choice (with hindsight, I should have changed doctors).

However, we also had what was then called an "anomaly scan" which sounds like what this nuchal test has been morphed into. There was a risk of a congenital kidney problem and it was great to know, ahead of time, that difficult child 3 not only had normal kidneys but he also had a normal heart as well. I was amazed at how much detail they could see.

My view on the testing done for us - I wanted to know ahead of time if there were going to be any unpleasant surprises, so we could plan ahead. And because we were going to be short of bedrooms, if difficult child 3 had turned out to be a girl.

A neighbour of ours has a niece who gave birth about 18 months ago on television. There was a TV show called "Saving Babies" which was about the amazing work they do in the pre-term wards at the Childrens Hospital here.
The niece was pregnant and the ultrasound showed problems. even though the parents wouldn't have terminated, they insisted on chorionic villi sampling which showed the likelihood of a trisomy problem. Not trisomy 21, but another chromosome which is also associated with major genetic abnormalities. They were told that the baby would almost certainly be born dead, or die soon after birth and that therefore they should terminate now, rather than continue with a doomed pregnancy. But the young woman refused.
The anomaly scan showed that the baby had a number of problems - her bowels were forming outside her body and her wrists were bound by bands of skin that were cutting off the circulation. There seemed to be so many insurmountable problems. The parents were desperate to give their baby every chance and it took a lot of shopping around and they finally found a doctor willing to help them save the baby. Remember, if they hadn't done the tests, they wouldn't have known about a lot of this.

There were several surgeries. By this stage it was being filmed for the TV program, but long before the TV program aired, we knew the story.
The first surgery was done in utero. They freed up the bands of tissue on her wrists and did the first surgery to try to put her intestines back in her body. THey also schedule surgery to happen immediately after birth but without that first in utero surgery, the baby's body wouldn't have grown enough to contain her internal organs and the surgical fix wouldn't have been possible; she would have died.
They also knew that the baby had to be born by caesarean - a vaginal birth would have probably killed the baby.

The baby was born, and almost immediately wrapped in cling wrap so the mother could see her briefly. She was then whisked away to have the final abdominal repair done. A quick inspection though, showed none of the other expected problems.

After the surgery and the intensive care, they now have a perfectly normal little girl who is doing well. There are traces of problems with one hand which are resolving as she gets older. Otherwise - she's fabulous. A testament to a mother's faith and determination.

They had the tests but did not terminate. Without the tests they wouldn't have their baby because they would have had no warning of the problems and no chance to prepare and to put help in place.

I wish I'd had a second ultrasound with difficult child 3, closer to term, so we would have known that his head was so big. He should never have been a vaginal delivery. My pelvis and coccyx was damaged permanently as a result of a lazy doctor.

So I'm in the camp of "tests are good". Forewarned is forearmed. You still have choice. Informed choice is even better.

Marg

SRL

The one major advantage my ob explained is that if a problem is detected it's arranged for the mom to give birth in a hospital with a neonatal intensive care unit.

susiestar

Roll With It
I would want to know the cost of the test and if your insurance would cover it. Will the cost to you put a burden on the family? I refused amnio because the risks. I would consider it if it would help you prepare to take care of special needs after teh baby is born. And if it will help the docs to know they need special equipment in the labor and delivery room.

Remember that NO test is perfect. We had friends who had ultrasounds that showed MAJOR birth defects. The people who read them missed them and the baby died 6 hours after birth. This was a number of years ago.

I totallly agree that a baby is a baby!!

Abbey

Spork Queen
I can understand some tests if you are a high risk patient.

But, I believe many of these are pushed on patients for pure liability reasons. My friend comes home EVERY week with a new sonogram picture. First of all, why is she seeing the doctor every week since she was 8 weeks along?

I had ONE sonogram between two pregnancies...and it was a tough choice as they were expensive!!

Abbey

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
If the results are irrelevent to you and husband, I'd skip the test.

easy child 1 has situs inversus complete. His insides are a mirror image of what they should be (his guts are backwards). They missed it on every ultrasound before he was born. When they discovered it after he was born, they told me he would probably die within a few days, and if he lived, yhe'd have heart problems and need surgeries and would never live a normal life and probably be retarded.

Obviously, its been more than a few days. He's never had a surgery, and he's certainly not retarded. He's lazy, but he is quite capable of working like a horse, just like any other teenager I ever met who's guts aren't backwards...

A friend of mine has a little girl, like Donna, who was supposed to be severly impaired.

She's going into first grade and is absolutely healthy and fine and always has been. Her ears stick out a little. That's the only impairment anyone can find, but her dad and brother's ears stick out, too, sooo.....

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Been thinking about this a bit. I would personally go for the test. But that is me I want to know the things I can before hand even as I keep in mind that not all tests are fool proof.

Hugs
beth

B

butterflydreams

If it was me, I would find out all you can about the test, including risks to the baby. I would then have the test. I'm with you, it wouldn't matter to me, a baby is a baby. But the knowledge before hand if God forbid there was downs or something would give you a chance to be prepared and know what you will be dealing with.

Just my 2 cents.

Christy