Need some peace

Wiped Out

Staff member
difficult child is really on a roll lately.

*Three weeks, three problems at school, 2 resulting in suspension. All three included violence to staff members.

*Absolutely NO impulse control, says and does the first thing that comes to his mind.

*Tried to trip me the other day, husband saw him try it.

*Won't admit to anything, thinks yelling over everyone saying, he didn't do it or say it will make us believe him.

*Said to him, did he have a better day at school today, "SHUT UP, LEAVE ME ALONE, DON'T TALK TO ME EVERY AGAIN" was his response.

*When he couldn't find his basketball today he called husband to ask where it was, when husband didn't know, difficult child slammed down the phone and walked around the house screaming how he hated this house, hated dad, etc...

*On the way home from the health club tonight asked me if I was masturbating? He wasn't even sure what the word meant but had a good idea. husband and I told him how inappropriate it was, he just kept laughing.

*Time to hide the knives again. He was running around the house with a butcher knife tonight thinking it was hilarious.

The above are just a few examples of how he has been lately.

Did talk to his psychiatrist. We are raising his Loxapine yet again, 3rd time in 3 weeks.

Thanks for listening, I don't know if he is starting to go through puberty or what. I do know he is driving us all crazy. I hate to say how we are happy when he is finally asleep for the night. He does have a few good moments here and there, thankfully.

jannie

trying to survive....
Sharon--

Sending you great big hugs....I am really really sorry things are getting out of control.....I know you know this...and there aren't any answers, but it truly sounds like he is a danger to himself and/or others..... He has no impulsve control; he is pushing all of your buttons, he is quick to anger, he has responded agressively and violently to a number of adults, his emotions are running wild AND****Time to hide the knives again. He was running around the house with a butcher knife tonight thinking it was hilarious.****

If I were you I'd run away.....but seriously, what did your doctor say when he heard that difficult child was running around the house with a butcher knife??? I am worried about you....Maybe you need to run to the nearest hosptial.

Maybe you should try to get a second opinion....maybe their is a different hospital and/or day treatment program he could go to. It sounds like he needs more support.

crazymama30

Hugs. Summer is he**. I hope you have something planned for difficult child so you get a break from him. Sometimes it feels like we just sit and wait for the other hammer to fall, because we know it will sooner or later.

Andy

If you have to increase a medication so often in such a short time frame outside the original decision of how to build up a medication, in a "this isn't working, up it again" strategy, it really is time for a psychiatric hospital visit where those changes can be more structured in a controlled safe environment. Some of this behavior may be a reaction of such a quick change, some may indicate it is too much, or maybe you do need a much higher dose and doing so at home is dangerous.

M

ML

((((((((WO))))))))) I'm sending you prayers for strength. I hope you get some moments of peace as I think that's all we're ever going to have; I gave up on the continuum concept long ago. Love, ML

Star*

call 911........call 911
WHen you start to see behaviors like this - don't you have a crisis team that can help you help him? SOmeone that will hospitalize him for even 72 hours to give you all a break?
WOW.....I remember the knives and the impulsive - in brain out of mouth days. UGH....and the shock value that goes into asking odd questions.

Our therapist told us when he confronted us with questions like this - to put on a somber face and say "No why are you?" The first time Dude said something like that I Think he was about 10 or 11 - and I thought WHY YOU LITTLE .....and told the therapist about it. The next time he asked a shock value question I was to act as if he had asked me if the sky was blue (with that type of face and emotion) and then look directly at him and say "No why, are you? do you need us to talk to the doctor about it? Because we're your parents and if you can't stop or have curiosities about things like masturbation well then we need to address those now."

Being Frank is /was not my strong suit.....but I got better at it and the dumbs stopped. (mostly) lol

Hang tough.

Fran

Former desparate mom
I agree with the crisis team. What happened to "stop the world" consequence?
I'd be thinking hospitalization again. He is spiraling down and is heading towards dangerous again.
Hugs.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Sharon ~ sounds like difficult child is going off the deep end once again. He sure gives you & husband a run for your money.

I can't offer you anything I've not offered before just sending positive white thoughts for a calm evening; a break or something.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Jannie-I called the doctor before the butcher knife incident. If things continue I'm guessing he'll end up in the hospital but hopefully we can avoid it since last time the psychiatrist on duty was horrible and is still there.

Crazymama-It does seem like we're waiting for the hammer to fall. Thanks for the hugs!

Andy-Last year when we needed to increase the Loxapine we did hospitalize difficult child, unfortunately the psychiatrist up there didn't do much of anything and she is still in charge.

Heather-Thanks for the hugs!

Star-I will try that next time! The crisis team isn't the same as it was for a bit, it's confusing but we still get services but it's not like it was for awhile.

Janet-That would stun him for a bit!!

Fran-The stop the world is for violence at home, he still gets that every time he is violent at home. We no longer have crisis respite but have told difficult child we will call the police. The crisis team isn't really a crisis team anymore but they still help provide lots for difficult child.

Linda-Thanks for the positive thoughts.

Well, we did get a break after school. He was actually in a decent mood for the first time in a long time. Joked around, not too stubborn, not screaming. Still a difficult child but a major difference from the last few weeks.

Another interesting thing has been happening. The past 3 nights difficult child has worn his cpap mask all night long. Previous to this he had really been fighting it. He told me Monday morning he just looked out the window until it was light before he took it off. Monday night used it all night. Last night woke us up in the middle of the night to say he had a bloody nose and would we please put the cpap mask back on him so he could sleep with it on the whole night. Am crossing my fingers that continues he could really use the uninterrupted sleep.

I do know if we don't see some improvement soon he may end up back at the psychiatric hospital-I just wish it was a different doctor up there from the last time. The first two times were much better.