Need some stiffening of the backbone...or open to opinions of the group

nlj

I wince when I see a young man on the street with a backpack thinking it's my son

I so get this.

They survive though, they seem to have reserves of strength and adaptability that I could only dream of.
Even when they make no sense in some other ways, they seem to be capable of surviving in an environment that would finish me off in no time. Echo, you write that your son struggled academically and is not high-achieving, but he has the wits to live on the street! It's a paradox.

It's like some sort of homeless, alternative, intelligence.

It impresses me.

even there I am not who I want to be. Never really was in my relationship with him

Who do you want to be?

I ask myself this.

BusynMember

"Street-smart."

Usually smart young adults who are different and struggled in school, but deep inside really ARE smart and capable. Although conventional school was not a good fit for many of our difficult adult children, the streets are more forgiving and accepting and our adult kids can use the smarts they have to survive.

Anyhow...that's what I call it---"Street-Smart."

Childofmine

one day at a time
My son does the same thing with me. And I too am kind of relieved when it doesn't pan out. It's too painful to see him. He's been couch surfing for a few months now and it's only a matter of time until he runs out of places to go. Will he go to jail again? Will he seek help? Is he hitting a new bottom? Until that time comes, I wince when I see a young man on the street with a backpack thinking it's my son. It's hard having him go through this in our home town. I hear a siren as I type and I'm thinking, oh that must be my son. I just wish he'd get picked up for an under the influence so I'd know where he was. He's 30 now and I'm so tired of the worrying. When he showed up at the house for a family gathering this weekend, he kept nodding off at the table, so sad. I hate seeing it yet was glad he showed up for his Papa's birthday. After everyone left, he sat at the counter while I did dishes with tears running down his cheeks. Terrible what a grip this addiction to heroin has on him. So grateful to have a place to come to read what others have to say regarding similar situations. Good not to be alone.

Oh Carri. Your post brought back every painful memory and I could have written what you wrote word for word---sentence for sentence----myself. Isn't it almost crazily ironic how similar the paths are? How we experience exactly the same things with our adult children, us all, spread out across the world? There is something eerie and thankfully, very uniting, in that. We are not alone in our unrelenting pain.

Today, now that difficult child is working and in an apartment, here is my experience: when a strange number pops up on my phone, my first thought is: did he get arrested and and this is a new jail number?

If I don't hear from him for a few days I wonder: did he get fired? Is he in jail? Is he okay?

I don't trust his progress. I want to, but I don't. Ugh. PTSD---remnants of it. I wonder if I will ever trust the good things, or will I only trust that something bad will happen again.

We have a monkey wrench in that my ex's new wife is friends with the best criminal attorney in town..known for getting EVERYONE off...he says he can get him off...may even be willing to do it for free.

This to me doesn't impact the main issues...but it has my ex in a tizzy.

My sister wife (his new wife) is just trying to help, with three very young sons she can't imagine letting a kid stay in jail.

Maybe this is part of the path, part of the journey. I don't know. We can't know. If ex and new wife are bound and determined to "do something" they will do it, and we will have to watch them do it.

There is nothing good about this part. The not knowing, the what should I do, if anything? the if this, then that. The not doing anything. All of it is incredibly hard. It takes all of our energy.

And we still have to function.

So...Echo...I am so glad that you have the bustle and activity of your other kids, and of SO and of your work...and you have gratitude for it all...in the middle of all of this.

So glad for that.

You can take a break from the phone calls, Echo. I remember when difficult child was in jail one time and calling me and telling me he was bleeding from the rectum but they didn't believe him and the whole commode was full of blood, and they wouldn't let him see a doctor.

You may remember that I called the jail, and his dad called the jail, and we were about ready to march on that jail, and I talked to the nurse, and she said she was on the situation, and would take care of it.

That is all I ever heard about it from that point forward. who knows what really happened or if it was exactly as he said and they actually helped him after we called.

I have no idea. Through all of this, I have been humbled in new ways. I have experienced the complete letting go---not all the time---I can't achieve it all the time---but for moments. My hands are empty and open, and I have nothing but my love to offer, and I do that silently.

There is something incredibly terrifying and incredibly freeing about it. Completely letting go.

Our culture doesn't support that. We are the get-it-done culture, generation, country. We can do ALL things. Just watch us.

Turning from that, that which I have practiced all of my life, is an incredible first step, in and of itself. And actually having a few moments of complete powerlessness is an incredible experience.

Wishing a good day for you today, Echo. We are holding you close here.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Echo, I'm just now getting caught up on this thread. I'm so sorry to hear about what's going on. I have been there to many times, getting those dreaded phone calls or letters from jail. The decision for me is easy as I have been through it so many times, I will not under any circumstance bail my son out of jail but I remember all to well the times when my husband and I would debate / argue about whether we should or shouldn't.
There is no right answer, you have to do what you are most comfortable with. Either way you go you will have pain in your heart. Not many people understand this kind of pain and turmoil but I do. It's exhausting trying to wrestle it all in your mind and always wondering if only I would have done XYZ then maybe it would have turned out different. I no longer second guess myself, I am firm in the decisions I have made, of course it still hurts but not as much as it once did. I no longer have those long crying spells. I agree with Cedar in that you don't know your son. I came to the realization about my own son a long time ago. It's such a strange feeling, I gave birth to this person but have no clue what really goes on his head. What I do know about my son and how he lives I do not like. I have accepted that he is going to live his life the way he wants to and with that I go on and live my life. No more will I feel any guilt about the life my son is living. My son like yours, their choice their life.
Big ((HUG)) to you!!!
Hang in there.

Scent of Cedar *

I no longer feel like running in that way is the thing that is needed.

I ran too, at first. Isn't that something, Echo?

We must be much alike. When the running or the cleaning or the drinking or the husband began not to touch the pain, more complex things to learn could still touch and change and steer me through.

Even now, I feel myself gathering. It's like a gathering of intent, as all the portions of self devoted to suffering come home, empty.

Empty, now.

You know that time before the storm, when the wind is just beginning, just faintly beginning, to rise?

Usually smart young adults who are different and struggled in school, but deep inside really ARE smart and capable. Although conventional school was not a good fit for many of our difficult adult children, the streets are more forgiving and accepting and our adult kids can use the smarts they have to survive.

I wholeheartedly agree with this ~ other than the part about the streets being more forgiving. I think street morality is brutal, clear, and immediate.

There are no second chances. Punishment is swift and certain. Foolishness or even momentary inattentiveness will get your things stolen and no one in all the world is going to listen to the child's outraged cries of "No fair!"

And there is a kind of stability in that.

I learned that from talking to difficult child daughter.

Our systems of education have become bureaucratized to the point that they cannot enfold those whose talents and energy levels might flourish in a different environment. Once in Britain, there was a little girl who just could not make it in the school system there. She fidgeted, she was a dreamer, she could not stand to complete her lessons and she hated to read. She was in trouble all the time, and none of the other kids liked her because she was competitive and even, mean. Finally, upon the recommendation of the exhausted teachers and principal, her poor mother took the child to a psychiatrist. Finally, after a long and careful assessment, his diagnosis was that the child moved and heard and experienced differently than the rest of us. For her, school was not a place where her talent, her true talent, was even acknowledged, let alone disciplined and developed.

Upon the psychiatrist's recommendation, the mother began ballet lessons for the child.

The child grew up to became Britain's premier ballerina, choreographed many ballets, and was instrumental in developing the premier ballet school in Great Britain.

She traveled all over the world and received many accolades.

It seems that as our schools are being consolidated and the community intimacy that once existed is being destroyed, those children who are different are being seen, not as kids whose talents are yet to be discovered, but as stubborn or recalcitrant or defiant children, willfully misbehaving.

If it were one or two kids, then we might accept the need for medications to help them sit through the interminable school day. But with so many of our children falling to the wayside, something is wrong with the way we are educating our kids, and I think it has to do with loss of the feeling of community that existed when schools were neighborhood schools reflecting the realities of life so clearly.

That is where gangs come in.

The world is a scary place, if you are alone...and our kids are so much alone in their school lives.

It matters how we think about things. The truth is that every one of our children were wonderful, tender beings at one point. The truth is that in their own circles, they are seen as wonderful beings by those who believe as they do. So, it seems to me that maybe the crux of the issue is for us to see that. The child is choosing to live the life he or she has been born into.

We don't accept that this could be true. Not for our child. We are horrified. We just cannot believe it could be happening. We perceive the child as helpless or inept or victimized in any of a thousand ways.

What if we did not do that?

What if we said, "Whoa! Not a path I would explore. What is it about this lifestyle you find satisfying?" Not "Where did we go wrong?" but "What is it like, for you?"

difficult child daughter posted something about the father of our first grandchild on FB yesterday. The father died some years back. The post was so full of honor for him, and of pride in the child they had created.

?

She sees so differently than I do, but she loved that horrible person all of her life and even after his death.

?

What if we could honestly say to the kids, not "I will save you!" but that we have no intention of funding any path that does not lead where we intended for their lives to take them.

And what if we could then let them go and live our own lives for the incredible gift just being alive, being here at all, really is? In our minds and hearts I mean. Instead of suffering, what if we could devote our energies to creating realities of the things we are curious about?

Or to watching the stars at night.

It is a miracle, out there.

Cedar

Someone of us, one of the fathers, posted that the key to our suffering was to stop judging our children for who they are and for who they are not.