Need wireless internet advice

Nancy

My difficult child just moved into her own apartment and is on a very limited budget. We found internet service available through one of the big internet companies for $19.99 a month but it's not wireless. It would cost more for wireless and she doesn't have that. So my questionis, can she buy her own wireless router and plug that into the outlet and get wireless in her apartment or does still have to pay the extra to the internet provider?

I have wireless in my home but I am very rusty on these old internet issues.

Nancy

InsaneCdn

can she buy her own wireless router and plug that into the outlet and get wireless in her apartment
Well.... technically, yes.
But.
If that's ALL she does, then everybody around her has access to wireless, too... through HER line/wireless combo.
If you're setting this up, it requires all sorts of security stuff to be in place.
I'm a tech-head, and it's too complex and time-consuming for me to figure out how to make all the bits and pieces work together and be secure enough... so, we don't have wireless.

Caveat... FIRST check the contract details... and see if the provider allows this... because not everything technically possible is actually allowed...

Nancy

We have a wireless router that easy child used when she was student teaching in North Carolina and they give you a security code to protect your service. Wouldn't that work?

Nancy

S

Signorina

Wireless is easy to set up with a router. Security is simple to set up - most routers come with a setup program that walks you thru, allows you to change the network name and allows you to choose a password. Just make sure she names her network something nonindentifying and generic-such as "my web", her favorite color, whatever -so that people don't know who it belongs to-that makes it more secure. Alternatively-she could stick w the default name-but ime there are often many networks named "linksys" or "2wire" (brand names) which can be confusing in an apt building.

We bought difficult child's router on overstock cheaply. She doesn't need the latest & greatest-our routers at home are 8 years old & work well!

buddy

Before my current wireless provider I did just that. The security options are right with the equipment. I think any best buy. Or radio shack could help you figure out if it would work with her modem.

keista

Yes, all wireless routers these days come with their own security configuration. Once the internet is in your home, the cable company can't dictate what you do with it. If they have a means of blocking the wireless signal, they could, but hey don't so they can't.

I ran into this years ago with AT&T. I got internet through them and they were offering a home networking package for more $$$$$. PLBT I set it up myself. No big deal. Once when it went down, I even called their techs to help me trouble-shoot it. lol

DammitJanet

It is easy to set up your own home wireless. I have a linksys I believe. Mine has been renamed to my last name and then a password has been set up. I can see several other wireless systems in the area close to me but they are all password protected too. Actually mine is fairly old but it is good. Mine has an 800 foot broadcasting strength. You can get them with lower ranges.

Lothlorien

I have a netgear. It came with a disc to download software, but you don't even need that. It will provide the directions to password protect so everyone in the area doesn't have access to it. You can probably get a wireless router fairly cheap on the internet.