Need your honest advice..am I an enabler to my difficult child

tryinghard

Wow,

Thanks again to all of you for posting your tips and insight. I went back and read the ADHD and Executive Fuction Disorder...it sure sounds like my difficult child. I also searched the internet for Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD). There was a lot there that matched my difficult child too. I found a site where a young man described what it was like to have Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD)..wow what a challenge. I am in the process of signing him up for a neuropsychologist which I am hoping will provide more answers.

Klmno, I am using a teacher from another school district whose masters is in special eduction to be our advocate. She is a mother of two grown daughters and someone who understands the accomodations and what works and doesn't work. I just feel really comfortable with her. Good luck on your search! I will definitely continue to post and keep you update to date on how things are going.

Today he actually wrote in his homework planner all by himself! I could not believe it!

Thanks again everyone...you gave me the strength to carry on

F

flutterbee

You know, when my son was in the 7th grade the teachers checked *everyones* agenda (the entire school has a free period at the same time and this is when the agendas were checked) to make sure homework assignments were written down. Now, the teacher didn't know what classes and/or assignments each student had, but they did check that something was written for every class. My son never had an IEP and was never in Special Education. This was done with every student.

The only reason I remember that is because when my son was in the 7th grade, difficult child was in the 3rd. difficult child was forgetting to bring home her homework daily and her teachers said it was her responsibility to remember to write it in her agenda and to bring it home. :surprise: I mentioned to them the contrast in expectations between my 12 year old son and my 8 year old daughter. Same school district. Mentioning that is the only way I got them to help her at the end of the day to make sure she had her homework. And then they only did it for one week. (!!!) They said they figured that was enough to get her 'back on track'.

Just something else to keep in mind when people speak of their expectations. It's pretty subjective.