Neighbor Nightmares

T

TeDo

-- adding -- in our neck of the woods there is a sunken iron pipe marking each corner of a property line. And our subdivision is from the 40's. We've lived on new AND old lots in IL and WI - and all of them were marked by pipe.
That is exactly what we have here. A survey company can locate the markers (discerning what is the marker and what is junk metal from when my house was a "farm" before the town grew around it). That is what I'm trying to do if J won't come and measure it out for me.

InsaneCdn

If you do that yourself, the neighbor can come dig them up.
I'd be paying the survey company to do it... AND to give you the legal document.

T

TeDo

Actually IC, the markers are at least 10 feet under the ground and are the property of the city. The person I want to come out and measure it is the person that is IN CHARGE of such things in the city government. It's his job to monitor the property lines for all constructions, street & alley work, code enforcement, etc. They'd be stealing public property and given the issues they've already had with these people (yes, they're already VERY well known to the city officials AND the police), they won't go lightly when they prosecute. J's word would be as good as, or better, than the paper.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Tedo.

While I am all about - having issues with neighbors.......and I live out in the country - so you'd think there would be fewer......but there are not. I have issues with the entire county. I have a piece of property I pay taxes on that the county INSISTS on cutting an apron on so that EVERYONE in the county can drive RIDICULOUSLY on and cut a corner ......NO where else in the county does this happen by my little chunk of the world. All they would have to do is put the dirt back that they've carved out over the years........but no. And......it's a safety issue because people cut that corner so fast that they have ended up in my yard overturned numerours times. They came out......leveled the land.......threw out a 1/2 bucket of gravel and called her good. I'm still fighting it .......10 years later. The problem no one seems to realize is that if you start throwing out fence (and after working for a fence company - no fence company will come out for a property dispute unless you have a plat or a site plan from a surveyor....because they can get sued - trust me on this as the former office administrator), and if you start putting out things like spike strips or concrete barriers, rocks, tacks, nails, ------fish hooks in the trees......anything that they cross on YOUR (and then it would be YOUR property trust that) YOU WILL BE SUED.......if she even SLIPS while trying to STEAL one of your yard spikes that say STAY OUT......and cuts herself? YOU WILL BE SUED ........and could..........COULD loose your property.

SO be careful. DO NOT put up any BARRICADE.....or fence......or stone......or stick.......or string.......or anything foolish........(as much as you think it's your land - Grandfathered or not----old town law of the land or not) until this is settled in COURT. For now????? Until you can afford to have it surveyed or put it in writing and have J if he is the law of the land and a JUDGE.......or whatever say the markers are YOURS? Then Leave it go. Hard to do-------and I would find out ------DID SHE buy the house-------or did her FATHER......whose name is that house in? Hers or her Fathers. Have you spoken to HIM about it? She sounds like a rude person.....perhaps he is not.

I also know that putting sticks in the ground......and signs and string......does nothing. You are going to have to go to the magistrate and find out what you need to put in writing and have her served with or send a letter with return receipt.

Also as far as cameras......? They do sell cheap ones on line.......and they sell DUMMY cameras on line......and some alarm co's do that for you with a monthly package......and some computer guys have pretty good prices ------geeky guys that do web sites et al -----usually know how to do this kind of stuff.......ask around.

DammitJanet

Yeah, I am wondering why your deed doesnt show your exact land lines. Our deed shows ours and it has it marked out from one corner to the other on each side every so often since we have 8 acres that arent exactly straight going through the swamp but we dont much care back there, our deal is more important up in the livable areas. When we first moved here we ran string from one of the poles to the next to show our exact lines so we would know our boundaries for setting up the homes.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
My deed doesn't show the land lines, neither does Nichole's. If you need to know you ask a surveyor out and pay a fee. Although the inspector Nichole hired showed her where the marker is in her yard on each side.

Star, we have country folk dealing with what you're dealing with. I can think of a certain property on the way to south campus of the college that is on one mother of a curve.......and the house is nearly right on that curve too. (lovely old house) The owners have put up a wooden slat fence with concrete pillars........and a sign, "You take out the fence, YOU replace the fence. Should you live to do so" Seems to have helped some, they haven't had another car in their living room in recent years. But I don't know what they had to do about the whole sueing thing. This country is sue happy, I swear.

DammitJanet

I live off a road that is named Deep Branch and it follows a river so it snakes and curves. For some unknown reason they decided it was a good thing to make this road 55mph. Idiotic to me because some of the houses are only about 20 feet off the road especially since they came through over the years and widened the road.

Back before we owned our own place we rented on the road. (This is a community that Tony was born in) It was a small 2 br home that was set back off the road about 20 feet. The real issue was we were in the middle the bend of a big curve on the road. Now we are complete flat land. People fly down this road. 55 is like a suggestion to them.

One Saturday morning I was getting the kids ready to go outside to play. Cory was 5 or 6 which would put Jamie at 7/8 and Billy probably at 10/11. I cant remember exactly when the accident happened. I was getting all their shoes on and tied. Jamie and Cory liked to play in the front yard and especially did for worms in the front yard to feed to the chickens. Then they would go play in the barns in the back.

Well suddenly I heard this god-awful sound in the front of my house and I ran to the kitchen to look out the front window. As soon as I got in front of our window with the AC unit in it to look out the top window, a mustang wrapped itself around a tree right in front of my window and the back end of the car smashed through the house under the AC throwing me across the kitchen into my fridge. All my shelves on the wall came crashing down that held my plates and glasses. I was screaming to the kids to get out of the house. We ran outside and all the neighbors were coming out too. The guy in the car was trying to shoot up some kind of drug and needles were all over the car. At first he was trying to get out of the car to run but the door wouldnt open. He was holding a knife up to us or to himself alternatively. Someone called the cops because I didnt have a phone.

I have never been so scared. Finally the cops got him but he had no license, it was his girlfriends car, she had no license or insurance. I was renting and had no rental insurance. He was flat broke with no job. He got convicted but I never saw a dime of restitution. Heck, we even had to fix the house. My landlord didnt. I have often thought about that. Cory has had to pay tons of restitution to get off probation but that guy never did. I lost a lot.

susiestar

Roll With It
If you want the solar light, they are very inexpensive. Today only you can get 10 of them for $14.99 plus $4.99 shipping. The site is dailysteals.com and I have ordered from them more than a few times with no problems. But you can also find them at pretty much any store that sells gardening or outdoor stuff, even BigLots type stores. I would maybe want to find a motion activated boombox or something that would play music and wire it to speakers that were VERY loud. There would be no way they could sneak onto your property with-o being caught then. You would problem have every neighbor around you angry with them.

If you decide to go with concrete poles, be sure to put up big signs that they are set in concrete on YOUR property, trespassing is prohibited and trespassing with vehicles is esp prohibited. If you have them marked, there is little the other people can do. Heck, why not try to find a swingset to put there (I would freecycle for one first) and set the swingset in concrete so it is 'safe' for the kids to use. There is no way they can complain that you put up a swingset on your property. Or put up some galvanized pipe connected with 90 degree joints and put a horizontal bar there so the kids can work on their upper body strength by doing pull ups or you could even attach a swing or tire swing or whatever. Be sure to post it as no trespassing, no vehicle trespassing, and you should be juuuuuuuuuuuuust fine legally if they hit the post with a vehicle.

DammitJanet

I got really ticked off at some motorcycles and four wheelers and posted our property and wanted to do somethings that while I could have probably done them legally, I may have also found myself being arrested and having to prove it was legal to do. I ended up not taking that chance.

What I was tired of was the off road motor things going zooming by my house at all hours of the day and night on OUR property. On anyone elses, I dont care but they would go buzzing past my house, go out in our field and make huge ruts and just do mayhem. I wanted to string rope across the path they road from my house to the trees. Now I was going to tie little orange flags on the ropes every 6 inches so they were visible but if they came tearing through there, they would have been thrown from the bikes. Tony wouldnt let me. I would have hurt someone. Actually two of the people doing it were people we were having trouble with at the time so I was all for hurting them. I was going to warn everyone else. My place had already been under a No Trespassing order which just didnt work. They ignored the signs. I even had the signs posted on my house, the lot lines, my mailbox, the beginning of my driveway, every 6 feet around my lot, you name it and I sent the people a certified letter to tell them they were barred from trespassing on my property and I took out an ad in the paper. It still didnt work as notification.