Nervous kids... excited kids... kids who drive you nuts!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
So I've got difficult child 1 STILL up at midnight now -- the night before school starts! Eighth grade... (AND his birthday is 6 days.) He already knows his classes, just not the room numbers or teachers. He gets that in the morning.

First he says he can't sleep. Then he says his stomach's upset. I tell him to get a bowl of cereal (often he just needs to eat something since he doesn't always eat enough during the day). Now he admits to being nervous about tomorrow. He's in the bathroom for the third time tonight since being told to go to bed! I really do hope he doesn't worry himself into another IBS attack.

One saving grace is that he starts 30 minutes later this year. So he can sleep until 7:30 if he needs to.

Then there was difficult child 2 earlier who was up, down, up, down, up out of bed again. FINALLY his medications knocked him out by 10pm.

easy child/difficult child 3 fell asleep within 30 minutes of hitting the pillow. :)

I've got my letters ready for difficult child 2's teachers, explaining the basics of his situation and giving them three different ways to reach me. :D

I'll walk the younger two to their line-up areas in the morning. difficult child 1 will head on down the block to his school on his own.

Then it's off to breakfast with some friends to enjoy some first-day-of-school celebration!

LittleDudesMom

Gvc,

I totally understand! difficult child and I tried to go back to our school night routine last night. But when I went to leave, he just kept asking questions, talking...... However, I didn't see any real anxiety. I don't think there is the "fear" of the unknown like there was last year - first year of middle school. I think he was bummed that summer is over and he had to go to be a couple hours earlier!!!!

Hope it's a good day for your kids today. Enjoy your breakfast.

(difficult child just came downstairs fully dressed - he wanted to get up and have some time to play his new game. He has to leave for school at 7:45 and I make sure the games are off by 7:15. He's ready....!!)

Sharon

klmno

I hope the rest of the night and this morning went well for you! I gave difficult child 1/2 risperdal last night and let him stay up 20 min late. Then, he slept like a baby while I, OTHO, couldn't go to sleep until about 1:30.

crazymama30

Last night difficult child did not seem to have any anxiety about school, but this year he has the same teacher as last year. (the teacher moved up to 5th grade this year) Having that as a known may help. I can't wait untill 8:30. They will all be gone by then. I can shower in peace, go to a couple appts and go for a short hike. I can't wait.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well everyone got off to school okay today. difficult child 1 was understandably tired. I think he was up until after 1am! He was the last to be ready. Everyone else took showers, got dressed, made their breakfast while I made lunches, got their bags packed and off we went! I think the 1/2 hour later start time this year will be a wonderful blessing! Last year the elementary school started at 7:50am, and this year it's 8:22am. The middle school starts at 8:55am.

This is the first year my elementary kids have had a male teacher (they both have one male and one female). I hope this will be a positive experience -- I hate to say this but we've had our share of hormonal/menopausal women who are emotionally reactive and/or inattentive and disorganized for whatever reason. It really affected my kids.

difficult child 2 met his new teacher and we gave him our "introduction" letter, although I know he's already met with the principal since difficult child 2 has an IEP and is high on their radar ;) He seemed a bit anxious when he saw some of the boys he'd had trouble with last year, but he perked up when the teacher engaged him with some chatter about what he did over the summer.

easy child/difficult child 3's teacher already knew who I was and asked how difficult child 2 was doing and if he'd moved on to 7th grade (I said, no he's in 6th this year) -- which is kind of scary since we've never had this man as a teacher before! I guess he just knows difficult child 2 from all the playground issues in the last few years. Hopefully his perception won't hurt easy child -- and maybe I'll have a chance to set him straight on the issues we're dealing with at home.

I have to pop over to school at 1pm to give difficult child 2 his afternoon dose of Seroquel, since the XR isn't holding him for the whole day. I guess I'll get the papers signed so the school can just give it to him -- and fortunately it falls right near the end of his lunch break, so it won't be too disruptive for him.

Friday is his IEP Team check-in meeting to assess the first week and discuss his needs moving forward. If he continues to do well on Seroquel, I think this could be a good year for him. We're sure ready for an uneventful year!

Hope everyone else who started today had a smooth beginning!

Jena

hi,

i haven't been in for while.......hi how are you? lol. i read your post and was laughing. i know exactly what you mean, yet you do have your hands full and will def. be needing that breakfast!!!! lol

my difficult child has been up till anywhere between 12 and 4 a.m. the past 9 days, excited a little anxiety, hyper a mix of it all. we're not on any medications now, spent the summer that way wanted to clean her out. yes it was fun lol. so tonight i tried the back to school routine, yea ok who am i kidding.......its' almost eleven and she just used her one bathroom pass (it's a control thing i came up with to cut her off from fake bathroom trips), and she's still wide awake.

so yes hooray for school! i'm hoping my difficult child will like it this year......

wishing you luck!!!!

jen

M

ML

gvcmom you are amazing. I'm praying that everyone gets started off on the right track this year. I say the breakfast with friends ought to be a monthly thing! We need those times with friends to celebrate the small victories and commiserate the bad days. Hugs and may we all survive the school year. ML