Netflix Watch Instantly

SRL

We've never had cable so when we got Netflix last year it opened up a lot of new programming for us. I just wondered what others here have discovered that they might not have found otherwise, and would like to recommend.

My daughter and I have been watching a BBC TV series called Doctor Who this past month and we're over the moon obsessed. It's a family favorite in the UK and ran for years until it was discontinued and then was revived bigger and better in 2005. (Some of you may remember it running on PBS in the 1970's.) My 12 yo daughter isn't even a big sci fi fan and she adores it, plus is gaga over David Tennant who starts in season 2. Seasons 1 through 4 are streaming now on Netflix.

Another one from BBC that we've liked is the 2005 Robin Hood series. All three seasons are currently in the watch instantly option. She's currently watching the old Get Smart series, but we're getting the DVDs for those. The Cosby Show and Dr Quinn Medicine Woman have been other oldies but goodies she's discovered.

Any new favorites for you?

Last edited:

DammitJanet

I dont get Netflix but do have cable now. I have no idea if any of the old tv series are on Netflix but she might like the oldies like Rescue 911 or if you want to really go back do you remember Paramedic or Adam 12. Maybe she could make fun of us with the Partridge Family...lol.

I would love to see the Airport movies again. I loved those. Not the comedy Airplane ones. And Towering Inferno.

Mattsmom277

We've been enjoying our new netflix subscription. We in canada do not get the same access to their content as in the US, yet still we've enjoyed it.

The series Survivors is excellent. We've watched The C Word which is great. Actually we've watched so many that it's hard to recall them all.

I love the way it also recommends new things based on what you've watched. We've also watched many excellent documentaries as well.

H

HaoZi

I found and loved Dresden Files and Painkiller Jane. Watched Bones from the beginning (it was always on opposite something else I watched, so I got into it late). A ton of dino documentaries (kiddo isn't the only one here that loves dinos), other documentary shows along the lines of Digging for the Truth and whatnot. X-Files (because it looks a lot different to me now, and good to remember where it all started). Torchwood and Eureka were recommended to me, they're on my list to watch. The Young Riders (always loved that show!). Have Destination: Truth lined up (never seen it). A bunch of shark documentaries (her marine biology fixation obviously from me, too).

H

HaoZi

Yes, you can use your computer, Wii, X-Box, certain blu-ray players, a Roku, etc. It's online, so unless your cable is also your internet (and dvds alone aren't enough for you). I dumped cable over two years ago. I don't miss it much.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Buggers.......cable is internet.

Trying to find a way to DUMP -----TIME WARNER. They have my phone, cable, and internet. (I dislike them immensely)

JJJ

David Tennant is definitely dreamy. And the chemisty between his character and Rose...amazing.

husband and Tigger are huge Dr. Who fans (although you may want to avoid the episode about 'weeping angels' it gave Tigger horrible nightmares when none of the other episodes did.)

Babylon 5 is a great series along the same lines (sci-fi, huge plot arc, great character development). Be sure to start at the beginning or you'll be lost.

The latest Merlin and Robin Hood are great. Both are series.

You can get old favorites like Hardy Boys and Leave It to Beaver. And most of the Disney series are available pretty quickly.

For you, Drop Dead Diva is great (season 1 is okay for kids but season 2 gets too edgy for the pre-high school crowd.)

SRL

I dont get Netflix but do have cable now. I have no idea if any of the old tv series are on Netflix but she might like the oldies like Rescue 911 or if you want to really go back do you remember Paramedic or Adam 12. Maybe she could make fun of us with the Partridge Family...lol.

I would love to see the Airport movies again. I loved those. Not the comedy Airplane ones. And Towering Inferno.

I haven't thought of some of those shows for years, Janet! We did get the Partridge Family for awhile but she got tired of it before she'd finished. Said they all seemed the same, and she's probably right about that.

I have really liked Netflix. Started it last year when we were homeschooling and found that libraries and rental stores weren't carrying a lot of documentaries any longer. I did get a blue ray DVD player that streams netflix to the TV and that's made it a lot more flexible.

David Tennant is definitely dreamy. And the chemisty between his character and Rose...amazing.

husband and Tigger are huge Dr. Who fans (although you may want to avoid the episode about 'weeping angels' it gave Tigger horrible nightmares when none of the other episodes did.)

Babylon 5 is a great series along the same lines (sci-fi, huge plot arc, great character development). Be sure to start at the beginning or you'll be lost.

The latest Merlin and Robin Hood are great. Both are series.

You can get old favorites like Hardy Boys and Leave It to Beaver. And most of the Disney series are available pretty quickly.

For you, Drop Dead Diva is great (season 1 is okay for kids but season 2 gets too edgy for the pre-high school crowd.)

Thanks for the suggestions, JJJ. Yeah, David Tennant is just perfect. :) I'll check out the other suggestions. I haven't seen Babylon 5 but I did like Battlestar Galactica (could have done without the graphic scenes though).

I've also added Merlin to our list, as well as BBC's new "Sherlock" which is a modern day version getting rave reviews. It stars Benedict Cumberbatch--he turned down the role of playing the 11th doctor in Doctor Who so you know he's got to be good.
http://www.amazon.com/Sherlock-Season-One-Benedict-Cumberbatch/dp/B004132HZS

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! It's fun hearing what others are discovering.

DammitJanet

Star....Tony cannot stand Time Warner. I switched to it when it came down our road because I wanted high speed internet so bad I could taste it. If I could have afforded to keep dish and just have the internet that would have been a perfect world but it would have been too costly. I am enjoying the dvr though. I didnt have that with my dish. I had an ancient dish system. Tony is just technology inept. Change is hard on the man...lol.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
We get Netflix through our Blu-Ray and honestly, I don't watch a lot of TV, so I don't see a lot on there. I don't know how to get to it, but husband does... So it's what he wants to see - LOL!

Though - I do love Dr. Who and the X-Files (the first few seasons, till they brought in the new agents... Ugh). My kids wouldn't watch Cosby - though it was hysterical! - too boring.

I wish I could just turn off the channels with stuff like Criminal Intent and NCIS. I did see a piece of one last night - about 15 minutes - husband was watching it - and I figured out why Onyxx doesn't think she'll get caught. Wow they leave a lot out!!!!!

And - I ditched TWC last May when our contract was up. I despised them, and U-Verse was finally available. I have adored U-Verse since - and we don't get some channels like MTV, which used to be good music vids and is now skin flix for the teen set (UGH!)...