Neuro psychiatric Exam??

neednewtechnique

I have a question about the neuropsychologist Exams??? After talking with my difficult child's mother a few days ago (yeah, before she landed herself back in jail...) I found out that my difficult child's last neuropshych exam was when she was 8. Considering all the issues we have been having lately, I am wondering if this may be needing done again...

How long are these usually good for, meaning how often should these exams be performed on a girl around 12??

Also, what do they do during one of these??? And, can any neurologist perform the exam, or are their special ones just for this kind of thing???

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I would say it would be a good idea to have the exam done again. Kids behaviors and symptoms change as they age and can often make it easier to pinpoint a more accurate diagnosis.

For a neuro-psychiatric evaluation you want a neuro-psychologist. Many children's hosps can give you a referral, and some have them in their own neurology clinics working with the neurologists.

BusynMember

My son had twelve hours, in two hour increments, of specialized testing, observation, and the neuropsychologist actually sat down and read everything I sent him from other professionals and school. He was great--had worked at Mayo for ten years. Although he told me, "Diagnostic mistakes are made all the time, even at Mayo" he nailed my son spot on. After years of ADHD/ODD and bipolar diagnosis. that never felt right, he diagnosed him with Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified. I'd always suspected my son was a Spectrum kid, but nobody believed me. They diagnosed bipolar even though he didn't have moodswings. It was a mess. Three years later, my son is in great interventions, off medications, and is doing really well. neuropsychologist testing shows the professional exactly what the problem areas are, and that points to certain disorders. I like NeuroPsychs better than Psychiatrists because Psychiatrists don't do any testing. Neurologists are not the ones to go to for this, although you can get a referral from a Neurologist and they often work together, but the neuropsychologist does the testing and it is very extensive.

kris

<span style='font-size: 14pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #663366"> kids are constantly changing ~~~ morphing. she's not the same girl she was at 8. talk to the CW about getting another neuropsychologist scheduled. it should give you a clearer picture of what's going on with-difficult child.

kris
</span> </span> </span>

neednewtechnique

Thanks for the info! I will be looking into this option ASAP! I definitely think that with all that has happened since she was 8, this may very well help them separate what is being brought on by her disorders and what is being brought on by dealing with everything that turned her life upside down a few years ago and we have just now finally been able to start turning it back right side up again!!!!!