Neuro-psychiatric results-16.5 hours!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
So she feels that K has a NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD). I have not looked into this much yet. She gave me a book on it which I thought was pretty cool.

She is calling a few Occupational Therapist (OT)'s that she wants K to start with this summer in regards to her handwriting and visual and spatial issues.

She feels K's ADHD and visual/spatial issues are pretty severe, combined with her anxiety, if not addressed now, will only get worse and cause her to regress further.

Her IQ has dropped to 113. Which I don't really mind at this point because we are heading toward getting her help.

She administered so many tests I can't keep track! I have a list...

Wechsler-IV
Woodcock-Johnson-III (which she feels is not always fully accurate)
Test of everyday attention for children
Beery Development test for visual-motor integration
Rey-Osterrreith Complex figure
Gardner Letter Reversal Frequency Test
Conner's Continuous Performance Test-II
Robert's Apperception Test-II
House-Tree-Person
Behaviour Assessment Scale for Children-2: Self
NEPSY-II
Test of Problem Solving-3
Benton Right-Left Discrimination Test
Benton Tactile Discrimination Test
Gray Oral Reading Test-4
Test of Silent Word Reading Fluency
Test of Word Reading Efficiency
Beery VMI Visual Perception and Motor subtests
Self Esteem Index
Children's Depression Inventory
Multiaxial anxiety Scale for Children

She had huge discrepancies in a lot of her tests.
Her reading is at a 5th grade level. But some of her focus and ability to track and stay on task were at a Kindergarten level.

Her code transmission was in the 2% which is listening to a string of numbers and identifying the number that precedes the repeated group. For example. 267895593- so she would say 9.
It is said very slowly and never changes speed. It is very easy, if you can focus and listen!

Lots of things like this. Also spacing with writing, misspelling, flipping letters, numbers. Slurring speech, toungue thrust.
Inability to copy off of the board.

Really identified her fears and weaknesses.
Needs to have bigger spaces on her work. Highlight her pluses and minuses things like this.

She can not have open ended questions, needs multiple choice. She was at a 16yo level with multiple choice questions. But open ended... she floundered.

Also the Neuro-psychiatric just flat out said she is coming to the meeting at the School. She is setting it up!!!

it is a lot to take in but I am very happy with the outcome. Now we just have to sit down with the School!!!

I will post about our psychiatrist apt later. That was Yesterday. Long week.:faint:

Last edited:

smallworld

Unmedicated mood disorders look an awful lot like ADHD. DO NOT, under any circumstances, let anyone talk you into medicating K for ADHD until her mood symptoms are under control. And even then, the medications for ADHD can cause mood instability.

totoro

That's funny/not funny, SM. Because she feels that once K is stable she could be on a small dose of some ADHD medication.
She of course was in full agreement that only with our psychiatrist's approval.
She has quite a few BiPolar (BP) clients who take ADHD medications who have BiPolar (BP) that do quite well. SOOOO, who knows. I hate these decisions.

flutterby

Fly away!
difficult child couldn't do open-ended questions for the longest time and still struggles with them. She gets lost in space and time. We have approval from MR/daughter to buy her a GPS so she can be more independent.

Check out: http://www.nldontheweb.org/

(it says it's down right now)

totoro

Thanks H, I will book mark it if it is down.
It will be interesting to see what kind of services she receives and if they help her!
How cool would that be if life actually became easier for her?
I already am thinking of ways I can better deal with her.

tiredmommy

Totoro-

Duckie has perceptual and vision problems, poor hand-eye co-ordination and neuromuscular issues according to the Occupational Therapist (OT) at school. She also tends to be very anxious (though anxiety has not been diagnosis'd). The Occupational Therapist (OT) has told me that kids like her can appear hyper when they feel particularly out of whack.

totoro

Thank you TM!

I will book mark these as well. I have spent so much time with the BiPolar (BP) and now that I have an idea of what else is causing her issues, this can be so helpful!
But now I have to spend my nights reading so much more!
I would rather be watching "The Tudors"

totoro

Of course i am supposed to be making diner and i started reading... thanks TM.
These are wonderful!

TerryJ2

Great testing results--gave you some answers (and many more questions, I know!).
My difficult child took about half of those tests, and some others. Diff docs have diff favorite tests.
Okay, I give up ... can you explain a little better about the number sequencing?
precedes the repeated group. For example. 267895593- so she would say 9.

I would have said 9, as well. The repeated group appears to be 9559. Or is it sequential, like 6789?
See, this is why I majored in art ...

Last edited:

totoro

Sorry Terry I typed those numbers kind of in a lame order!

So the lady would say in a very slow steady voice.

K would be expected to mark "0" the reader would keep reading very slowly but not space the repeated numbers too closely.

K's tests result numbers are pretty close to what GCV's G'sFG were!