Neuro Today

M

ML

I'm asking for collective good thoughts from the board as we finally take the step towards an official diagnosis for manster. He's been nonstop clearing his throat this morning, hopefully he'll do it for the doctor. I'll post an upate later. Thanks for the ongoing support you've all given me over the years. I know I get kind of crazy at times about all this but you all help ground me and I appreciate that.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Heck we all get crazy with the running in circles! It feels like one step forward and 5 steps back.
That is why this place exists.

I really hope you get some answers.
K has never fully recovered from her "things" she developed from the AP's she has taken over the years.
But on the other hand we also don't know if it couldn't be a development of tics on top of the permanent side effects... GRRRR!
Just keep moving forward and try not to get discouraged if this is not the answer or all of the answers.
K does weird throat noises off and on also. Of course not in front of psychiatrist!

I am keeping good thoughts for you guys.

M

ML

It went fine. He does have Tourette's Syndrome, no surprise. Like Smallworld said, it's usually the other stuff that people wind up getting help/medication for. The tics in and of themselves aren't that bad. So here's to hoping we keep the "other stuff" in check as best we can.

klmno

Sorry I missed this earlier but I'm glad to hear something productive came from the appointment- although I wish he didn't have this diagnosis, at least he got the diagnosis if it's appropriate. That didn't make much sense- my brain isn't working well right now. Anyway, as always, you both are in my thoughts!

M

ML

He said medication was a personal choice and not really medically necessary. He talked about the heavy duty medications (like Haldol) and that while they work, they carry serious side effects that you have to weigh. Right now I think we'll hold the line with medications. If the picture changes we could reconsider. The anxiety is still our biggest challenge with attentional/executive challenges a close second. Ok they tie with behavior which luckily is typically saved for home.

smallworld

Anxiety is J's biggest issue, too, with attentional/executive challenges a close second. That's what J's Residential Treatment Center (RTC) is working on with him. No medications, except Wellbutrin, which treats his depression and a bit of ADHD symptoms.

Hang in there.

tictoc

Hi,
My difficult child got the Tourette's Syndrome diagnosis about 18 months ago...If you are a reader, PM me and I'll send you a list of my favorite Tourette's Syndrome-related books (some memoirs, others more scientific).

The "related" issues (including anxiety) definitely are the biggest issues for Bug most of the time. We have had relatively good luck with clonidine for ADHD and tics.

Good luck.

nvts

ML, I'm glad you got something definitive out of the visit - it doesn't always happen (lol!).

You know what we've been using for difficult child 1 that seems to make a difference with his anxiety is hydroxizine. The only thing is, you take it when the anxiety starts creeping up, so it's been a bit of a challenge to get him to identify when it's necessary to take it. He was hell bent on not taking any medications, so at least this was a viable alternative.

It's a souped up benadryl, that has a calming effect (which was a lucky side-effect!).

Congrats again on getting through it!

Beth

crazymama30

Anxiety is a bear, no doubts about it. Hugs. Haldol and the like are pretty heavy duty scary medications, that is for sure.

I just read a really good book, a memoir type, of a boy with Tourette's Syndrome who ended up being very successful. His teen years and such were pretty rough, it may not be the book for you right now, but if you are interested pm me.