neuropsychologist testing-how to pick a doctor

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by dstc_99, Feb 25, 2013.

  1. dstc_99

    dstc_99 Well-Known Member

    So I just found out my insurance wont pay for neuropsychologist testing if it is needed to improve academics. I am hoping her medical Dr will put in the referal based off of needing to produce a diagnosis so they can medicate. But either way I am getting it done.

    My question is this. How do I find a good neuropsychologist? How do I know which one to pick out of the yellow pages?

    I live near Louisville KY so I will most likely have to go there. I am going to try and as the therapist if he has recommendations.
  2. SomewhereOutThere

    SomewhereOutThere Well-Known Member

    I would go to one that works in a teaching hospital. Teaching hospitals tend to be on the cutting edge.
  3. DDD

    DDD Well-Known Member

    In addition to our psychiatrist I contacted the County School Board and asked for a list of neuro/psychs that they used for their students. In fact, they paid the deductible for my insurance. They provided three names and I explored two of them as I knew one man personally and did not care for him. by the way, we stayed overnight so the testing wasn't all in one day which I feared would alter the results due to his tiredness. That was the most valuable investment we made. Good luck. DDD
  4. buddy

    buddy New Member

    If you trust anyone at school, ask whos name they've seen parents use. Call any sp ed Advocate place and ask who they've heard parents use and what reports have helped their cases. Advocates have often heard all the names. Larger Children's clinics like at universities can be good as well as specialty children's hospitals. Sometimes receptionists hear from clients and will share the scoop....helping to pick the best one if there are several. You can try to phone interview people. I did that and you get a sense if they "get it" sometimes.
    parents are the best source of course so any support group or place where parents gather are good sources of info.

    Good luck!
  5. SomewhereOutThere

    SomewhereOutThere Well-Known Member

    My son had ten hours of testing in two hour increments. Beware of any neuropsychologist who says he can do it in two-three hours. He's going to skimp over something.
  6. JJJ

    JJJ Active Member

    I agree with the others -- get recommendations from someone who used a neuropsychologist in your area or go to a teaching hospital. Piglet is being tested at one of our local teaching hospitals this summer. They test 2 hours a day for 6 days spread over a 3 week period. I like that they have blocked 12 hours for testing (and a 2 hour block for overflow). I think any doctor who takes less than 8-10 hours is skipping parts.
  7. dstc_99

    dstc_99 Well-Known Member

    Per advice I called the School board and spoke with the Special Education coordinator. She acted like I was crazy?

    She said I didn't need a neuropsychologist just a form from the doctor saying she was being treated for x,y,z. She said they never do a neuropsychologist they do some sort of educational evaluation. I just listened to the blah, blah, blah and said OK send me the form. At least getting the form done will get us started on the 504 plan until I can get the neuropsychologist testing scheduled.
  8. buddy

    buddy New Member

    Well, of course, she is operating from just procedures. You are operating from wanting to get to the heart of the matter.

    It's usually the ones who work daily with parents who hear doctor names and psychiatric names etc. But if you are not actually IN sp ed yet, it may be hard to connect with someone. Maybe just randomly call a school and ask to talk to their Special Education teacher???? I actually did that before we moved here, LOL. It worked, I got the info I wanted about schools around our district.
  9. dstc_99

    dstc_99 Well-Known Member

    Thanks buddy! That was my thought. Honestly my easy child probably doesn't qualify for much but dang it she deserves whatever they can give. She is struggling in math and language arts. She got a D last 9 weeks in both of them. Funny thing is she has a really high AR score (IE:number of books read an tested on.) She is failing in all other areas of a language arts though. I know her ADHD causes her so many issues with focus and impulse control. For us it causes issues with trying to get her to focus on her homework. It also causes us issues with getting her to control herself.
  10. InsaneCdn

    InsaneCdn Well-Known Member

    ADHD is a common mis-diagnosis, may be a cover for other things - and the other dxes would provide more interventions, accommodations, etc.

    OR... ADHD may be accurate, but not a complete diagnosis.
    ADHD "can" stand alone (I have a kid like that)
    More often, there will be some mix of other things like:
    1) LDs - given her math and language issues, worth testing for
    2) Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD) - 50% of kids with ADHD have Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD) - developmental coordination disorder, may affect fine motor, gross motor, or both
    3) 70% of kids with ADHD and a Learning Disability (LD) also have an Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) - and there are at least five different APDs.
    4) because so much of this gets missed, and because even "simple" ADHD is often brushed off and not given appropriate accommodations and interventions, the kids often end up with secondary mood disorders like anxiety and/or depression.

    I think it may be time to drop the gloves and push for REALLY comprehensive testing for easy child.
  11. dstc_99

    dstc_99 Well-Known Member

    Yep thats where I am at. Dropping the gloves and moving on.

    Her therapist treats her for Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), Depression, Eating issues, and ADHD. But the Primary Care doctor only treats her for ADHD so that is all they will put on the paper. I understand that since they dont treat anything else. On the other hand I know the anxiety and depression figure in to the picture but even the therapist admits that he simply "has" to come up with a reason for treatment so he gives a generic diagnosis to use during billing.

    I think getting a "real" diagnosis will help us focus on what we can do to help her. Right now everything is so generalized we don't know what to do other than to take her to her therapist and bang our heads against the wall as needed. LOL
  12. InsaneCdn

    InsaneCdn Well-Known Member

    Can you pull private Occupational Therapist (OT) and Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) assessments?
    Occupational Therapist (OT) for sensory and motor skills (yes, even at this age)
    Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) for pre-screening of the full spectrum of APDs (there's something like 5 different ones - many screening tools only look at the "original" Auditory Processing Disorders (APD)) - at least, here that part is done by Speech Language Pathologist (SLP). Detailed testing would be done by a PhD-level advanced specialist audiologist... here, they won't refer for that unless a Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) has done a screening and believes there are reasons to test further.

    These won't provide all the answers either, but... can provide some of the help.
  13. dstc_99

    dstc_99 Well-Known Member

    I know I sound like a total newbie here but how and where would I go for Occupational Therapist (OT) and Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) assessments? Also what does Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) stand
    for? I figured Occupational Therapist (OT) was occupational therapy?

    I am so frustrated with husband right now because he doesn't understand what I am asking for and since I used all my leave while he was deployed he is the one going to the appointments. I told him to ask the doctor to give us a referral for a neuropsychologist evaluation and he wound up with a neuro referral for migraines and a therapist referal for a psychiatric appointment. LOL I still don't think he understands what the heck I am talking about but God Bless him at least he tried. It is just hard being military because they are usually understaffed and or have lower quality doctors who move around alot so they never really seem to know how their systems work. Plus when we move things get dropped and we have to spend another few months working it all again.
  14. buddy

    buddy New Member

    Yes, Occupational Therapist (OT) is occupational therapy and Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) stands for speech language pathology. Speech Language Pathologist (SLP)'s assess and do therapy for speech-articulation, social communication, voice, language use and understanding, developmental and neurological conditions affecting language, speech, memory etc.... and as ic said, language and auditory processing.

    You can ask for a referral from your doctor. Some clinics will let you call directly and help you get the doctor to sign off on a referral. (That's easier to do with a diagnosis already in place like Down Syndrome or CP or doctor automatically will sign off)

    In our areas clinics are listed in the yellow pages. Some are private some are part of children's hospitals, universities, rehab centers.

    If your insurance has advocates they may be able to guide you.