neuropsychologist update

TerryJ2

We did our followup with-the neuropsychologist. We were referred to a speech path, who found nothing abnormal, and then went back to report. Of course, the ofc never faxed a copy of anything so the dr had to take my word for it. Very unprofessional! He said he's been dealing with-that sort of headache for about 12 yrs. Sigh.

I expressed the hope that difficult child would be off of his Adderal by the time he's 12 (We have several friends whose kids "outgrew" their ADHD and they are doing exceptionally well) but this dr said 90% of ADHD is lifetime, difficult child would need medications until his early 20s at least, and he rattled off a whole slew of nasty statistics about increased pregnancy risks, car accidents, etc.
I guess he didn't want me to get my hopes up but he didn't have to drag me to Hades and back, either!

After we left, difficult child was miffed because the dr had mentioned an inability to finish homework. (That was more to his level, LOL!) He said he always finishes his homework and doesn't need his pills... sigh... and I told him he has made great strides and he's doing very well and that the dr was just quoting statistics and didn't mean that he didn't finish his homework.

Funny the things kids think is important ...

So, at this point we're going to focus on the child psychologist and behaviors, since the medications are working so well.

It's funny, how ea specialty has such a narrow view of different disorders. You have to take everything with-a grain of salt.

The main thing is that difficult child has no glaring speech cognition issues, and once again, everything, aside from the ADHD, is too subtle to p/u on standard testing.
It's just a lot of hard work on our parts.

I'm taking a deep breath and shoring up my resources ...

:warrior:

AllStressedOut

I heard that today for the first time, that ADHD can actually be outgrown. This was at our new psychiatrist appointment. I was amazed, I never knew that. In fact, I thought for sure they have gotten that from husband's side, because I'm certain he hasn't outgrown it! LOL

I'm sorry the guy touched a nerve with difficult child. Sometimes I wonder if we should go to our appointments without difficult children. I try to talk softly to the doctor when they are in the room. I feel like I'm talking bad about them when you list behaviors that are still a problem. But then I think I'm glad difficult children are with me because the psychiatrist can witness for themselves how they behave.

Good luck with the psychologist and I'm glad the medications are doing well!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Gee, doctor is just full of hope and roses, huh?

Ok, so he was probably being upfront, but still. Your kid is NOT a statistic.

ADHD in my opinion isn't outgrown, maturity and experience helps one learn to deal with the behaviors and function on a more normal level.

My son in law is major ADHD. He's an airline mechanic who fixes everyones cars, remodles homes, and plays with his son in his free time. He is a great husband and father, responsible to the hilt. Ok, so he could use a bit more maturity, but no one's perfect. lol

My point is that the future is wide open for your difficult child.

Hugs

Wiped Out

Staff member
Guess he's not a glass is 1/2 full kind of guy is he? My nephew who had ADHD is now doing fine-he's not taking any medications.

TerryJ2

LOL! Thanks for the laugh and perspective.
Yes, I do believe that with-training, people with-ADHD can lead very happy, successful and productive lives. And that's where we're headed. I would have quit by now if I didn't believe that.

TerryJ2

Oh, I just remembered one GOOD topi this guy covered ... that supplements are useful for ADHD, and he mentioned fish oil, Vit E, B, and a few others. Yay!

DammitJanet

My middle son Jamie is an example of the fact that while ADHD is not outgrown, it can learn to managed successfully.

Jamie stopped taking medication when he was 14 because he knew he had to be medication free for 4 years before entering the Marines. That was their requirements at that time. I believe it has now changed. He learned to manage his attention problems in different ways even though they were much more difficult than they would have been if he had the medications. School was not as easy for him in high school and he didnt do as well as he would have. He was still extremely hyperactive so he ran long distances to get some of that out and stayed extremely busy outdoors.

He also chose careers for himself that would not clash with being ADHD. He first went into the Marines choosing to be a MP. The military is actually a good fit for an ADHD kid because they have structure and its rugged and active. Then Jamie chose to become a law enforcement officer. The type he chose is in animal control where he is constantly out and about moving around, driving around, walking, catching things, talking to people, etc. It fits him so well.

Everyone always says how well he fits into exactly the position he is in and its because he knows himself well enough to pick the right job. (His mommy taught him that...lol)

If a person who has ADHD is stuck in a place that they cant move around, I think they would be miserable. Help your son figure out just what he wants to do and plan for it.

TerryJ2

Yes, good idea.
Animal control... that's pretty neat. difficult child is very good with-animals, plus he's always wanted to be a police officer.
Still, with-his arguing/argumentative skills, he may make a better lawyer ... LOL!

waytootired

My oldest took him self off his Ritalin toward the end of last school year in 7th grade. He is doing great and feels he doesn't need it anymore. I think he is growing out of it. He made the honor roll all last year at school. We will see how this year goes.....

Hugs...