Never in a million years.....

keista

CONGRATULATIONS! Yeah, I'm tearing up too.

Now you have POSITIVE PROOF That you are an EXTRAORDINARY writer! Time to start writing that work of "fiction"

Star*

call 911........call 911
Thanks everyone. It's been a really REALLY good day - I even tried for the Taco Bell telephone. Or Samsung pad thing. Galaxy ipad. I kept thinking Galaxy eye patch.

Oh and Stang? Mom got a NEW car........IT"S SEKKY!!!!!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Okay - DF has never read anything I've written - except for a few pages that I've tucked away as a catharsis on my therapy about my abuse. he had to stop and I'll just leave it at that.

But he did come in and say "Star, this letter is.....really beautiful. I just can't believe.....I mean you....really love me." Yup. "You should write a book or something."

Okay then I read all your comments - and I've sorta 1/2 listened over the years (and totos Wordsmith title ) still makes me snort.

WHAT do I write? My autobiography would be Science Fiction. I've never even told a 1/2 truth about my the things in my life and all the stuff that's happened to me so yeah - Wierdsville. I mean I told Mary that even in Frontiersville? I'm like on Foodstamps, out of work, borrowing money, food, battling snakes, bears - starving - and now some joker sends me a letter stating even though he hasn't been there to do ANY of the work? he's gonna marry me. I WAS FURIOUS. I haven't been back to do anything on old Frontierville - because I paid good money in real-life thearpy to get rid of looser men - and they FOLLOW me to cyber land - and the only way I could proceed? Was to click the accept button. I was so furious if that blasted thing had sent me 10 bears? I would have ripped em a new one with my eyes.

And still? I don't have a clue what to write about - I mean do I start a series - or write about life as an abused person who survived do people really want to read that dribble? How about hanging with a psychopathic murderer and bearing his kids? That should sell - ugh. I'm not much for mushy romance although I could probably pen a Fabio styled comedic book -----The only friends I have in the world that I care truly about are you all.....I don't even own a nice grill for entertaining.....I do have lovely children....My brain is like a pogo stick wiit funny things - sarcastic things - but all I come up with Is the Romance of Pootie and Chester ------lol. Life from the dogs point of view. Belive me - they say funnier things than me. and if you think I'm snarky - you should be hear to hear POotie....that girl can text.

I dunno - you're the ones that think I can write - what should I write about? Any thoughts? I mean I sit here and I think - If chikens had lips what kind of noise would they make? I'm just going to go to bed now.

I'm really hoping for the grill - I just checked and We are at 101......votes - Beating that Norton guy by 1 vote. GO TEAM NEEDA GRILL - I'm going to go tomorrow and wish him good luck! Be sportsman-like and all.

H

HaoZi

Non-Fiction is actually a big seller. You get it drafted out, I'm sure some of us can help clean it up, format it, design a cover, walk you through publishing it yourself, help you market...

Star*

call 911........call 911
How do you pick a theme? I read the best seller list and it's kinda like - all over the place - elephants, murder - and of course someone always writing about vampires -

The elephant one is a movie ------so I'm guessing that's why it's on there . Book as good as the movie? The one about the women in North Carolina sounded interesting. I still don't get HOW you are supposed to know what to write about - I mean HOW did JK rowling KNOW to write about Harry POtter and just keep on writing? And she's still writing. I mean theres got to be more - about the children of - and Hogwarts continues - has to be.

janet evonovich writes her numbers series and I liked that - Just don't know where to start.

keista

Star, you never KNOW, you feel. Everyine wants to sit down a write a best seller, and they HOPE they are but they NEVER KNOW it until it is done and 'out there'. Stop worrying if anyone is gonna read it, or if anyone is interested. Write because YOU want to, and write because you have a gift that MUST be shared with the world. Whether it's the WHOLE world, or just a small part of it, it doesn't matter.

Writing from the perspective of animals can be HUGELY popular. I am a Dean Koontz fan and one of my faves has half the book from the perspective of the dog, and his thoughts and thought process. I've read other books which were huge flops when first published, but then 10 years later, a shift in interest caused the book to become widely popular.

And if you don't know where to start, start several different projects at once, and see where they lead. I forget the sculptor who said it, but essentially the sculpture is already in the marble, the artist just releases it. You have the stories, you just need to release them. Set all the worry and "what ifs" aside.

tiredmommy

Star... don't make it too complicated. Write about what you know; I'd think friendship, love, family, faith & pet care covers a lot of ground. I'd expect that any book I would read by you would have the feel of sitting down for coffee with a close friend. Perhaps some short stories or vignettes? Think chicken soup but warrior mom style.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Sweetie,

I really think you SHOULD write. I think you'd be great. It matters not if you are a bestselling author. Honestly. I write poetry and a little prose. I started writing about the whole husband/BM/Onyxx/Jett sitch a few years ago, got 3 pages in and had to stop. because no one - no one would believe it. It would have to be sold as fiction.

From my experience - just write. Don't start with a subject. A paragraph here, a paragraph there... One or two a day. Even about your life, or an anecdote about something that happened (like the April 1 coffee mug incident, or the hearing aids, or the French Fry Ouixa... I remember a while back I think DF broke the lid to your travel mug, too??? Or am I remembering wrong?) - you might be surprised, in a month or so, how well some will fit together. And some will be out there.

GO GIRL. YOU CAN DO THIS. Even if just for yourself.

susiestar

Roll With It
Star, I have a couple of things to say about your questions about if people would read about your life as a person who has suffered abuse, survived it, figured out how to help herself, done the work, and given those who know her support and the honest truth as she knows it and a whole lot of smiles and belly laughs.

Dave Pelzer (A Child Called It and at least 2 other books about his abuse and survival of it and triumph over it)

Sybil (about a woman with mult personalities and the abuse that caused it)

When Rabbit howls (like sybil)

The Tiger's Child and other books by Torey Hayden

I could go on and on. YOUR book would be better because the humor and grace and inherent honesty in your writing.

You could also write a book about raising a difficult child and what did/did not work. Outlining how stupidly frustrating it is to have to deal with various forms of "help" that refuse to pay any attention to the answers to questions they write.

What about a book to help kids understand/accept a difficult child classmate? Or how to handle nightmares (humorous fiction type work)?

Rowling wrote HP because it just was in her head and needed to come out. I have ALWAYS had a problem with her on a personal level because all the bragging she did about writing it while on he country's version of welfare. She wasn't trying to find a job and writing this in her spare time. She did whatever minimum was required to get the help and then never even thought about repaying any of the $$ she earned from teh book she wrote while the public was supporting her. I don't always think that people should repay public assistance, but when you write a book that makes you a multimillionaire well, it would seem like a decent thing to do to either repay the funds to the govt agency or to otherwise find a way to repay it. But you should NOT use "i wrote it on napkins at cafes while I was on welfare" as a marketing tool - if nothing else, repay the cafe owners for the napkins! it would have taken 1000s of them to write HP on!!)

What about a short book of tips to help parents cope iwth difficult kids and their frustrations in dealing with them?

Or a story about Princess Pootie and her exploits? Write a kids book and then illustrate it with drawings of Princess Pootie. It could first be a picture book with drawings and a few words to convey the story, and then a version for early readers could be written (amelia bedelia level) and then a chapter book with more of what PP was thinking and feeling. I bet you could have her get into all sorts of trouble and then get out of it, have her help her friends and puppy people she meets, etc....

What would appeal to you? What problems could you help kids handle with stories about Princess Pootie?

susiestar

Roll With It
Couple of hints/ideas for df.

Hearing aids can rub your ears raw because you are not used to having them in there. Consider asking if you can treat the skin of the ear where the hearing aid sits to make it not irritate so much. I am thinking a very light application of something like the monistat chafe relief cream. It has a type of silicone in it and would keep the aid moving with-o rubbing the ear wrong. At times this was a huge problem for my grandparents. I don't know if they make something for this use, but I don't think a small amt applies with a qtip or something would be a problem.

The short wearing time at first is NOT to deprive you but to help keep you from getting bad headaches, etc... hearing aids multiply EVERY noise and his brain is not used to filtering out the background noise. So the first few weeks are tough because you have to relearn how to not hear silverware clanking, the hum of a fan, and all the other background noise we filter out daily. A LOT of the time people who refuse to wear hearing aids are not just being vain. They are overwhelmed by the loudness of the background noises and it is incredibly uncomfortable and overwhelming. It is also very hard to explain to most hearing people.

Find a lipreading class and take it with husband. even with hearing aids he won't catch some things. This can be a HUGE help.

I learned these things from my grandparents. Well, not the chafing cream - I just remember that problem and think this might help prevent it. New hearing aids used to really bother my gpa because they fit differently and always caused some sores in his ears. They even took gfgbro and I to lipreading classes when we visited them. It is fascinating.

Star,

Thanks for making my day! I'm so happy for your DF, for you! It's so sad that hearing aids are so expensive! It gets me so angry because as far as I'm concerned, everyone who needs them, should be able to have them. I HATE health insurance! This is your thread so I'll get off my soapbox now, lol... I'm just so happy that thanks to you, your DF is getting a free pair!

You really are a fantastic writer and I really believe that if you wrote something, it could easily become a bestseller! SFR

P.S. I'm praying as hard as I can you get that grill too!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Starbie doll...you are....not a saint or an angel.

But you are, one human being who's behavior sets the bar pretty darned high for all the rest of us...

Congrats to you both. (I can't think of anyone who might deserve it more)

Estherfromjerusalem

How wonderful, Star! Congratulations! Here in Israel too hearing aids are not covered by health insurance, and are dreadfully expensive.

I can well believe that your letter won -- you are a really talented writer.

Love, Esther

H

HaoZi

How do you pick a theme? I read the best seller list and it's kinda like - all over the place - elephants, murder - and of course someone always writing about vampires -

The elephant one is a movie ------so I'm guessing that's why it's on there . Book as good as the movie? The one about the women in North Carolina sounded interesting. I still don't get HOW you are supposed to know what to write about - I mean HOW did JK rowling KNOW to write about Harry POtter and just keep on writing? And she's still writing. I mean theres got to be more - about the children of - and Hogwarts continues - has to be.

janet evonovich writes her numbers series and I liked that - Just don't know where to start.

JK started out writing about a boy on napkins at the coffee shop, a broke single mom on welfare writing down a story for her kid.

Where do you start? Anywhere. You can add, remove, re-arrange later. Sweat those details further along in the process.
The best way to write? Write what you know. You hear it over again and again in writing classes, and that's because it works. Pick up some memoir books and see how they're written - how they're the same, and how they're different to each other. Then find your voice - you know your life, you're the expert on it.
Some people can only stare at that blank page, but once they get started it just rolls out of them. If you need to, start by writing about something else. Find a basic sentence and make your own ending. Or just think of it as one really long series of posts here about your life (thread = book, posts = chapters).
If you want I'll send you a list of links that might help and drag you into a writing group on FB. ;)

exhausted

How wonderful and touching! What a positive and loving person you are. I am not surprized, given your posts,you are a talented writer. Children's books? Healing,humor books?

mstang67chic

Going Green
Ooooooohhhhhhh...........have to see Mom's new sekky car!!!!

As for the writing....DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really like the Adventures of Pwincess Pootie idea! OMG you know you could come up with all types of things.