Never. Microwave. Poptarts.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I think difficult child 1 will Never. Forget. This.

He burned the palm of his hand badly (large painful blisters) trying to handle a volcanically hot Pop Tart he had decided to put in the microwave this morning. :surprise: Nevermind the fact that it says on the box to NOT microwave them...

And of course, this resulted in so much pain and distraction that he could not work on his book report for one of the classes he is failing, and this was the day he was supposed to spend devoted to this project.

Then tonight, he decided to pop the huge blisters. :mad:

Lord, give me strength. :angel3:

SRL

Ouch!!! With all that sugar, those had to be hot!

I think a lot of people wouldn't bother to read the instructions to catch whether those were microwavable. It seems almost everything "convenience" is.

K

Kjs

I for one never read the instructions on a pop tart box. I never microwaved one. I will be sure to pass this information on to difficult child. This sounds like something he would try.

TerryJ2

Oh, ick. Oh, owie.

Ice, ice, ice.

I've burned myself plenty of times making those in the toaster, so I can only imagine how hot it is in the microwave.
Well, lesson learned for difficult child.

Dennis the Menace strikes again.

Wiped Out

Staff member
OUCH! This definitely sounds extremely painful. It also sounds like something my difficult child might try. Oh and he would probably pop the blister too! I hope he heals quickly!

LittleDudesMom

I've actually micro'ed the Fiber One "pop tarts". But I put one on a plate and then micro for 20 seconds. Makes it nice and soft. But I admit, you aren't supposed to micro them.

Hope his blisters are better.

Sharon

Marguerite

Actually, those could be serious burns. The sugar means the temperature would have been much higher than a simple scald. Popping the blisters is also not a good idea - if it's a deep, bad burn, another deeper layer will blister agian, in about a week or so. This could need medical attention in case the damage goes in deeper.

I got a really bad burn once (not from sugar). The skin was charred black at one point, it took over a week to begin to blister, it was several months before it was healed. Very, very painful for ages.

Marg

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Ooooh, yeaaaah. It hurt A LOT!

Thanks for the tip, Marg. I'll keep a close watch on how it's healing. It took a while for the blisters to appear, so I imagine it must have been a fairly deep burn... no charring, thank goodness! Ugh.

Lothlorien

Ouch. Missy burned her hand on a cup a few weeks ago. It was not a cup that was meant for the microwave. I was really suprised that she blistered.

About a week after that, she put a metal cup in the microwave and fried it. I had to go buy a new microwave. Bet she'll never do that again.

So, what did you write to the teacher. difficult child couldn't do his homework because of poptart burn?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Didn't write anything to the teacher. I figured he could 'splain himself well enough by waving his bandaged hand around ;)

He has until next week to finish this project -- I'm just annoyed that he is (once again) procrastinating, despite my repeated reminders to do it and of the consequences for choosing to delay or not do it at all.

Is it summer yet?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Sounds lovely!

I am just longing for the lazy days of summer... Know what I mean?? No more homework, no more school, no more schedules....

Sigh... snow here would be nice if it would get us another day off school!

donna723

Wow! That sounds painful! I hope his burn heals quickly.

Two more helpful hints, things I learned the hard way not to do ...

Be very careful trying to melt butter in the microwave. Margarine melts - real butter pops and splatters all over the microwave.

When baking a potato in your oven, make sure to poke a few holes in the skin first! I knew that but this one time I must have forgot. If you don't pierce the skin a few times, when it gets good and done, it will EXPLODE :surprise: and splatter your whole oven with little pieces of potato that will stick to it like glue!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thanks donna... I'll have to let difficult child 1 read your tips!

Wow, Loth -- beautiful wonderland in white! Just begs for a snow angel, doesn't it? :snowangel:

Marg's Man

Warning Science content!

Microwave ovens work by vibrating the water molecules of food at their resonant frequency until it warms up. Not rubbing your hands together but rubbing your atoms together!

Many foods, especially carbohydrates, also contain the water molecule built into the molecular structure. The 'hydrate' part of the name is chemical double talk for water. Sugars are also carbohydrates. But they are solids so the heat cannot escape as easily as it can in liquid water. Result? It SUPERHEATS.

Sugar is extra nasty because molten sugar sticks and transfers more heat into the injured part. Plus it is often much hotter than boiling water. If you can, look at a sugar thermometer, the 'correct' temperature is much higher than the boiling point of water.

Here endeth the lesson.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thank you for sharing that little tidbit of information MM! That is certainly worth sharing with difficult child 1 so that he can fully appreciate the reasons why... :rolleyes:

Star*

call 911........call 911
Oddly enough Margs Man -

If you vibrate my molecules at my resonant frequency? I microwave as well.

And - let's all learn another lesson from this -

Never wave your micro-tart at your Pop. Cola gets jealous.