cbree

I've never joined a forum before but I need to talk to someone that has similiar problems like I am dealing with. I have a darling 8 yr old daughter that is seeing a child psychiatrist for anxiety and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) but she has horrible rage attacks...we had her on Paxil and it didn't work, she stopped eating and she was constantly tired so now we have started her on Rispidol, my question is if any of you have had any good results from this drug? We have started her on .25 mg once a day for 3 weeks and I have seen no change but the dr said that we would slowly increase the dosage due to the side effects.
I am so tired...My mother has cancer and is not doing well, I work at a Junior High with Special Education. students so my job is stressful, and dealing with my daughter my life feels like it is spiralling out of control.
Any advise would be great.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Welcome! We're glad you found us, but sorry that you had to, Know what I mean??

We had good results with Risperdal controlling aggression in my difficult child 2 (difficult child=gift from God). It's good you have a psychiatrist who is willing to go slowly with the medications. It takes a lot of patience, but it really is the best way to sort out the real issues with our kids. Usually after about two to three weeks you should know whether it's helping a little or not at all, and at that point the psychiatrist can take your feedback and decide the next step.

Risperdal does cause sedation and increased appetite, so it is often dosed at bedtime AND you'll need to monitor your daughter's calorie intake if she starts to become ravenous and devouring everything in sight. My difficult child 2 gained about 10-15 pounds on it at one point. We just had to work hard with him on eating healthy and getting exercise. It helped a bit.

My difficult child 1 has Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) (and I suspect some Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) tendencies). He did very well on Lexapro for a long time. Then things got complicated (he developed IBS and his doctor rx'd Elavil on top of the Lexapro and he got worse -- long story short he's now on Celexa and no Elavil and doing okay).

My husband takes Paxil and it helped his rages, however he had the biggest improvement when he started on a mood stabilizer/antiepileptic drug (he has seizures) as he is no longer as obsessive as he used to be (still not sure what his real diagnosis is and he doesn't want to know).

Having a child like ours is very stressful and exhausting. Make sure you take time for yourself so that you don't become so burned out that you start to sink. You can't help your child at all if you do (remember the airline instructions about the oxygen mask? Take care of yourself FIRST, then tend to the others around you). If your spouse isn't supportive, then get a sitter and get some time away from ALL of it -- once a week if you can swing it. See a therapist if you need to -- there's no shame in getting outside help. But just make sure that you carve out that time so that you can recharge yourself before you are completely wiped out.

tictoc

Hi,
I don't have experience with either of those medications, but you daughter sounds much like my son. My son takes Prozac and imipramine for anxiety and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) (and clonidine for tics and ADHD). Imipramine is a tricyclic antidepressant that is used to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) (and bedwetting, too). The combination of Prozac and imipramine has taken a lot of the edge off Bug's Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and helps him roll with things better. Not perfect, by any means, but has helped him enough that he is able to make friends at school and interact appropriately most of the time.

So, helping with the anxiety and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) might help with the rages. Our neuropsychologist has suggested that we might eventually need to switch Bug to Risperdal.

Marguerite

Both our boys took risperdal for a while. difficult child 3 showed minimal effects but did lose weight when he came off it. It did seem to smooth out his moods a bit but on its own it didn't do enough to justify the expense.

difficult child 1 was sedated on even a quarter of a tablet. He also doubled his weight in six months (went from a six-pack to a beer keg). We took him off it because it didn't seem to be making enough difference. He lost a lot of the extra weight and is back to being a skinny stick.

What concerns me about your daughter - doctors seem to be trying to medicate away the symptoms but who is looking for a cause to deal with THAT? Because some problems, you can't medicate away. The best you can do is find ways to adapt, maybe using some medications to ease the process.

Has she had a neuropsychologist evaluation? NOT done by the school, because they generally don't look deeply enough. The combination of anxiety and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is consistent with anumber of conditions, including Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD). And if it's Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) then you may find she does a great deal better with some more directed support. Other problems may simply be masked, or not so obvious behind the really obvious problems in the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and anxiety.

difficult child 3 is a great example here - when he attended mainstream school he loved going to school but was very sick, always vomitting. His teachers would either send him home or send him to sick bay. I was concerned that by removing him from class (and therefore getting out of doing wjatever class task had been set) he was getting a payoff for being sick. He wasn't doing it deliberately, of course, although his teacher did begin to say things to me like, "I'm sure he's making himself sick, the timing is just too apt," it was just that his desire to be in class was outweighed by the fear of bullying and his inability to handle the stress of being in a classroom environment.

We had the advantage with difficult child 3 that we already had a diagnosis of autism for him, so we knew that was the underlying disorder. He also knew he is autistic and had taken this knowledge on board to help him realise, it's not his fault.

Girls display autism differently, quite often. It can be missed, especially if the child is high-functioning. Also a kid can show some traits (as with our middle girl, easy child 2/difficult child 2) but not enough for a diagnosis. In our family it also is accompanied by ADHD, which thankfully has responded to medications. So for us, ADHD medications have actually helped our kids reduce their anxiety (sounds odd) because it makes it easier for them to stay focussed and on task; and one of their tasks is, to cope with their environment.

We also have had the ODD symptoms from all of them, which we see as caused by the underlying Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)/ADHD. Again, they responded to a different way of handling them.

Have a look at the Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) questionnaire on www.childbrain.com. You can't use it officially to diagnose because only a health professional can do that, but whatever the result you get (including "she's perfectly normal") you can print it out and show a doctor, because the questions and how you answered them can give a health professional some broader ideas on what is a concern. You may be living with things in her that are NOT normal, but when you live with them all the time, you just don't notice, or remember to tell anyone.

Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) is also not bad news, necessarily. Your daughter is your daughter. You know her well, a change in label doesn't change who she is. But it could change how you see her and that could make life easier for both of you.

Marg

KTMom91

Welcome, cbree!

My daughter has taken risperidone (the generic) for several years, and it has helped considerably with her rages. There have been no more holes punched in walls, no more smashing of kitchen counters, no more doors torn off the hinges and thrown at me...

cbree

thank you for all of your responses...

to answer someones post, we have not seen a neuropsychologist, she is seeing just a child psychiatric which is the 2nd one we've seen, her anxiety started when she was 4 bc we live in se tx and our area has been affected by several hurricanes and one that was supposed to just be a tropical storm became a hurricane without warning and a huge oak tree fell in our house while we were in it and now she is terrified of any type of weather and since then we have had to evacute for 2 other hurricanes so she has high anxiety when it comes to hurricane season and any type of weather conditions.

neither of the dr's believe that she is add/adhd bc she does very well in school, she never changes her color or gets in trouble...i've never had a problem with her at school, thank goodness, thats my only saving grace in all of this turmoil, but when she sets foot in the house she lets it all out on me especially. we are seeing a new counselor and she said that she wants to observe her for odd and also for the possibility of tourettes bc of the way she blurts out certain random things and some other odd behavoirs that she does but who knows.

i'm just glad i found this forum bc nobody seems to get what i'm talking about...they see a beautiful little angel and they dont believe me when i tell them that i have posters hanging on her wall to cover holes that shes put there and they look at me like why cant i control her bc she is this little tiny thing...i just want to sit and cry sometimes.

rlsnights

Welcome cbree. You are not alone. Most if not all of us have been where you are. There is help out there for you and for your daughter.

In case no one else has suggested it you may want to get The Explosive Child. It has been helpful to many parents faced with a child who rages.

(((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))

TPaul

Idecor8
Welcome to the board, you have had some good advice thus far. Hope you are able to find even more help, and I am very sure you will.

The board becomes a life line for many of us!!
tpaul

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Welcome, cbree. Of all the medications we've attempted for my difficult child son wm's raging, risperdal is by far the most effective medication - it's been a life saver for all concerned with wm.

A reminder - medications are a cr@p shoot; an experiment in terror until you find the right thing for your difficult child. A complete evaluation is likely necessary soon.

Hope we can help you in your journey - our little wonders keep us on our feet or on our knees. Either way it's not the parenting we expected.

busywend

Welcome! Seems like you are on the right path to helping your daughter. Be sure to take of you as well. We all have gotten to the point of needing some sort of help at one point or another. It is hard to be this stressed and worried all the time!
Be good to you!