new antidepressant news for kids/teens

kris

<span style='font-size: 14pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #990000"> on world news tonight charlie gibson announced a new~~~ very comprehensive study has determined that the benfits of children & teens using antidepressants far outweighs the risks.

antidepressant prescriptions for this population dropped 20% & suicide attempts jumped 18%.

here's a link to the article:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Depression/wireStory?id=3049746

kris
</span> </span> </span>

LittleDudesMom

Kris,

I found this paragraph interesting:

"In the studies involving depression, 61 percent of patients improved while on antidepressants. But 50 percent of depressed patients taking dummy pills also improved."

In other words, medications were only 11% more effective than dummy pills? So, what's the mind over matter connection here?

I also found it interesting that the ad medications were the least effective in treating depression, more effective treating Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), but the most effective in treating anxiety.

Interesting, thanks for sharing (I was all about watching nbc to hear about the package they received from the Tech killer).

Sharon

Sara PA

>
They found that for every 100 kids treated with antidepressants, about one additional child experienced worsening suicidal feelings above what would have happened without drug treatment.
I going to try to track down that report. First question I have is if they only looked at the suiciality side effect. The whole hostility issue is getting a short-shrift.

Sara PA

"In the studies involving depression, 61 percent of patients improved while on antidepressants. But 50 percent of depressed patients taking dummy pills also improved."

In other words, medications were only 11% more effective than dummy pills? So, what's the mind over matter connection here?

Researchers, astute doctors and the pharmaceutical industry have all long known that the safest, most effective treatment for depression is the placebo. But that 10-15% who benefit above the placebo rate (characteristic of all AD studies) usually truly benefits in the long run. Now if only they could figure out who those 10-15 are...