New at this

buddy

since this is the same problem I had I will share ( sent a pm to stressedtomax but will share to test my knowledge, tee hee)...

Reply with quote quotes the whole message. If you want a line, just do the typical highlight and then copy/paste into your new message. then highlight it there and hit the little quote bubble above the message box you are typing in....next to the spell check button. That will insert the quote commands on either end. when you hit reply or preview it should show up in the quote bubble.

I have to admit I am EXHAUSTED. For her entire 9 years I have done battle with this child. I spend most of my time wishing for her to grow up fast so that maybe the problems will go away. I want to enjoy my daughter, I want to be able to look forward to spending time together rather than dreading when the next explosion is going to occur.
I could have written this just about every day for the past 10 years. You know how they say that actually being abused is "easier" than constantly dreading the abuse? It's true with the explosive child also. I can never relax and really enjoy it when we're having a good time with difficult child because I know it can change on a dime. I honestly don't know how we've made it through the last ten years. difficult child also constantly says that he wants to do better/have friends/be good but can't/doesn't know how. My heart breaks for all these kids and all of us as their parents. Today has been a very depressing day for me and I'm sorry I'm not offering any words of wisdom but my difficult child is home on suspension AGAIN and I just don't know where we're going from here. All I know is that I definitely feel better knowing I am not alone but I also feel constantly guilty.

You know, when I took difficult child to the neuropsychologist consult last week I expected so much more. I have no idea why I don't open my mouth and ask questions. difficult child did take three computerized tests and we spent a good amount of time speaking to the dr but that's it. Should there have been more?

AtMyWitsEnd33

I want so desperately to put faith in something. I put faith in God, and he rarely fails me, but this is a challenge I have been given (for what reason I have yet to discover) and I am just tired. I am done with this battle. I need to move on to something else before I lose my mind. I don't want to believe that medication or a trip to the neuropsychologist is going to be the magic answer because I know it is not.
On the same note, if the therapist asks me to read one more book or try one more strategy I think I might blow a gasket. Then I look at all the medications some other kids are taking and their families are still struggling. I really just want to run away screaming and hide somewhere.
When it rains it pours -- my husband has been having anxiety and panic attacks because of his high stress job and I am feeling like everything is out of control and I can't do anything about it. Thankfully we are all headed on vacation next week which each of us desperately needs. My prayer is that difficult child does not ruin the fun I am envisioning us having. In addition easy child is so close to his breaking point all of the time because of what difficult child puts him through that I am also waiting for him to blow up at any moment as well. We are all so edgy and stressed and the s*&t is hitting the fan from every direction.
Maybe I'll just become an alcoholic. . . JK, LOL!

buddy

what exactly does a neuro consult entail? Would we need to be referred by her psychiatrist or therapist?

I didn't go back and read these so if I am wrong about what you are asking , just let me know....

I think we were suggesting a neuropsychological evaluation. These are psychologists who specialze in the connection between brain function and behavior. They give lots of tests like questions, manipulatives, pictures, etc....no worries for your daughter about anything painful. You as a parent will have lots to answer and fill out too. It should be very thorough and ask ahead of time, the things they select will depend on your intake and concerns. They can help with showing learning styles, strengths and weaknesses, possible causes for issues and help with differential diagnosis. They can take one to two days. I have never had my son have to do more than one day. Though when in the hospital one time they broke it up into smaller chunks to get him thru it less painfully (he is extrordinarily distractable). They took advantage of his being hooked up to the eeg, couldn't go anywhere, haha. (yours would be out patient, he just happened to be in for an eeg study)

Our neurologist referred us the first time, but I basically called and made the appointment myself each of the other times. havent needed to do it for a long time, we pretty much know what is up and his last school evaluation was 40 something pages long so I think we are ok...

If you google neuropsychologist you will be more comfortable. Well worth the effort for sure.

InsaneCdn

The child (or any person) doesn't have to be Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) or Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) to have issues reading body language.
There's a whole range of "developmental" disorders that kind of overlap somewhat... the more extreme range would be Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), but ADHD, Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD), Auditory Processing Disorders (APD), (and more) are all part of that mix. ANY of these kids can have trouble reading body language... may not get it at all, or may read it too slow to be of any use in real life, or may only recognize extremes (anger or joy but not frustration, indifference, etc.)

soapbox

Lets see. She's 9. That would be about grade 4, right?
Which is right on target for certain kinds of problems to show up.

There's nothing magical about grade 4. Except that it marks the shift from learning basic skills, to having to use them extensively. No more learning to write - they assume you know how. No more learning basic math facts... etc.

If you're bright, (un)lucky, or just happen to have marginal problems... you might slide through... until you hit about grade 4 or 5.

What kinds of things?
Well, on top of LDs, you might find Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD) (developmental coordination disorder), or Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) (auditory processing disorders).
You might also find that secondary issues are developing... if the primary issues have been below the radar for too long, its really hard on the kid's emotional and mental health. Anxiety and depression are not uncommon.