New Bi Polar book i wanted to share

Jena

hi to all

sorry i haven't been in for a while i've barely been keeping my head above water. happy to say the zoloft is out of me now i haven't taken it in two days so my grey cloud is lifting slowly. difficult child has been worsening and i officially left office two days ago to be home and around for her before and after school to care for her. i've also been interviewing therapists to work with her, and i am trying to start a paralegal business from home because we are sinking somewhat in credit card debt from hospitals.

ok so back to book sorry. i got the explosive chid that everyone kept telling me to get and read it. thank u very helpful. i came across this amazing other book though and i thought of all of you.

its written by a pyschiatrist at columbia where i had difficult child's testing done. it's so enlightening or at least i think so.

the name of it is BiPolar Kids it's written by DR. ROSALIE GREENBERG M.D. she also has website it's www.RosalieGreenbergMD.com

i really want you guys to read it. i;ve learned so much already from it. it was shocking some of it to say the least to me in regards to school what to do on the days they don't wanna go, different seasons affecting their moods and cycles, light therapy. a whole bunch of stuff.

so i wanted to share it. go get it tell me what you think. i thought it was great. being pyscho i am i'im making copies of particular pages and handing it out to school pyschologist caseworker and teacher who are so clueless it's ridiculous.

Jen :)

klmno

Thanks, Jen! So, does she recommend strategies similar to "The Explosive Child" or is it a different avenue?

Jena

it's interesting. she's very blunt views alot by the child's vision of their illness seems to really listen to them.

it's a bunch of what looks like to me case studies various children she gives age, overall of the child, etc. then at the end of maybe 3 or 4 in one particular chapter will discuss the similarities conclusions she's drawn from meeting all of them.

i thought it was really really helpful. then in one section she speaks of how to look for a therapist/pyschdoc what to look for. what the evaluation process should look like, different medications, diff types of therapy which ones are helpful for which children. seasonal issues their internal clocks being different then ours hence the screwed up sleep and manic episodes.

also school stuff like ok how do we get out of door in the am.? another point i was shocked by was her saying if your child is having a very rough morning and is in their depressive state don't push them out the door let them stay home. WHAT?? wow i was shocked by that.

she also compares different disorders to each, which is kinda cool you can look at symptom listings for various things and compare them.

i'm going to cal this woman also. iw ant to talk to her next. i spoke to a doctor in pittsburgh the other day next is her i think.

:)

i think you'll like this book

Jena

it was good, right? i am trying to get a hold of her i'm quite sure she isnt' taking any new patients but i'm going to start harrassing her to try and get her on board with difficult child's new therapist who will just do a whole lot of work with anxiety social issues through play therapy and teaching me various ways to handle her i'm quite sure that i could use a mommy class.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I thought the book was great! It is on my shelf of "great Early Onset Bi-Polar (EOBP) books" I separate them according to how husband and I feel about them... LOL
If I could use her I would!!! She seems to truly understand, follows the Papalos' and others I agree with.
Good Luck.

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
I am currently reading "you can't make me, but I can be persuaded" by Cynthia Tobias

so far it has my attention, but I am always skeptical

TerryJ2

Sounds interesting. I'd like to read the part where she compares Bipolar to other illnesses, with-similarities and differences.

Jena

i'm glad you liked it as well, she truly does seem to know what she is talking about. her comparing BiPolar (BP) to other illnesses, as you know it's hard they all seem to overall with symptoms at one point or another.

BusynMember

Sounds like a great book. I'm sure I had childhood bipolar and school was often useless to me. I had to go, of course, but spent most of the day frozen, in my own head, biting my nails and not learning anything. In that state, I don't think any child should go to school. They're not trying to get out of school; they're ill. I think parents sometimes confuse willful defiance with their child's illness.
I think temporary homeschool may actually be best for kids with severe bipolar. I remember spending most days at the nurse's office and learning to fear and hate school. All the k ids teased me and called me "mental." Of course, there were no IEPs back then.