new diagnosis added today....but what the heck?

Tiapet

Old Hand
So today youngest difficult child got "partial autism" added to his mix. I did a quick google search and the only thing that really came up seems to relate to "aspergers". This makes sense if this is in fact what it is since this is the direction I was looking towards and the psychiatrist finally is starting to reach in that direction but why wouldn't he have just put that down?

Does anyone have any experience with this diagnosis or have you heard this term before? This one is new to me.

TerryJ2

Nope. Except that the dr is probably as confused as everyone else by the new DSM IV and the umbrella term of autism that will be replacing Asperger's. Don't worry about the accuracy; just make sure that whatever he calls it, the svcs are covered by insurance.
I hate to be cynical, but that's the way it is.
And when my son was diagnosis'd with-Asperger's, I bought a bunch of books, which had a LOT of similar parenting advice to what doctors say about bipolar disorder. I'd advise, in my humble opinion, to use any and every tool at your disposal.
Still, I'm sorry it was such a wussy response.

Ktllc

I think your doctor is afraid of the word "autism". But like Terry said, as long as you get the services, you don't care if he wants to call it "partial". I think mild might be a proper term next to Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). I've been reading and using Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) toold a lot with V, despite the fact that we don't have the official diagnosis (maybe one day, or maybe not) and it works pretty well. Try to learn about his way of thinking, where he comes from with the behavior. You might be surprise: there is a logic behing the madness, and the ODD might go away.

Tiapet

Old Hand
Thanks! I have , for years, seem to be able to "get him" where no one else has and can keep him relatively on an even keel and doing what he needs to do (ie: no rages - other then food allergy related, no ODD type symptoms, no aggression, etc) when everyone else comes up against the brick wall. No one will listen to me on how to handle him. On the very rare or slight occasion that someone does well what do you know, he complies and does what he needs to. This includes siblings that are difficult child's themselves. If only everyone would listen you know? Their lives and his would be so much easier. I realize he does have to live in "our world" too but he just isn't mature enough to do it at this point.

T

TeDo

It's funny that you mention that YOU can get him to do what he needs to do but no one will listen to you. That is EXACTLY what I went through with the school. And........we ended up leaving that school because they REFUSED to listen to me and taking it out on difficult child 1. It really is sad. Yes, they have to live in the real world but let us teach them to do that first. Don's expect them to just know how. Geez. I agree with the others that the diagnosis is vague but it should still get him services.

keista

Ditto everyone else, but I'd go back and ask for a firmer diagnosis (to get the needed services)

Yeah, you've been telling ppl what to do for years, but now you go in and tell them it's Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and suddenly they'll start listening (we hope)

"partial autism" is kinda what I'd call DD1. Her evaluation was done by a school psychologist who's experienced every possible nuance of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), so the Asperger's label from that woman is a keeper.