New DSM criteria for autistic spectrum disorder...Aspergers not in DSM

BusynMember

This is the new definition in the latest DSM which will come out in 2013. It leaves out high functioning autism, which may leave out some services. I posted it in the Watercooler, but maybe some of you don't go there. This is the time to write to them about it if you disagree with the criteria.

Sonic's neuropsychologist new this was going to happen so he diagnosed Sonic with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) because he needs adult services. Before this he had diagnoses of Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified and high functiong autism. They no longer will exist in the DSM.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/emilywi...-criteria-for-autism-who-will-be-left-behind/

InsaneCdn

I'm more concerned about leaving out Aspergers. High-Functioning Autism (HFA) should be able to meed Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) criteria... but Aspergers specifically does not, and it doesn't look like they have expanded the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) diagnosis to cover Aspergers.

BusynMember

I think a lot of people wonder if basically social (even if not extremely socially adept), academically and professionally successful people are actually in need of services, but I'm not sure. I was fine with Sonic getting the diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). That opened the door for the services he gets today. I really don't care what they call it, but I'm wondering if others do care. Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified isn't in the DSM anymore either, which is what Sonic was diagnosed with the first time. There are very specific guidelines for autism in the new DSM. It's not so "iffy." Will be interesting to see how it plays out. I guess those on the fringes will now be diagnosed with communication disorder or ADHD...

Ktllc

As you all know, V was recently diagnosis. I have yet to receive the report and I wonder if it will state Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified or Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD).
It was done by a University program and they used the up-coming changes to see if V was meeting the criteria.
They did not seem to worried about the changes affecting V.
Both Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified were mentioned as being V's diagnosis at the end of the evaluation day.
They explained to me that sensory issues will be one new component of the criteria. That it was about "social communication issues" and then one of the doctor explained that communication is always social...
It is quite blurry in my mind as It was a lot to take in that day.
I also remember one the doctor saying that today's different labels (Asperger, high functioning,etc) could give the impression that some individuals are less disabled than others. But being Asperger's does not mean you function better that High-Functioning Autism (HFA) if the individual symptoms are more severe. And the same with Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified vs. Asperger's...
I'll let you know if the report mentions anything on the up coming changes.

Marguerite

We were told that those currently diagnosed with Asperger's would be covered by the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) blanket. No need to re-label, just accept that the new label will be Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD).

I think it's also way, way too late to lobby anyone.

Marg

BusynMember

People who are already diagnosed won't lose services. However, those kids who are not yet diagnosed, yes, will get an Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) diagnosis. However, the criteria to meet that diagnosis is stricter.